The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Improper Scorecard

FED; At the beginning of the game, Abel is batting in the 8th position in the line-up and Baker is batting in the 4th. During the game (sometime within the first 3 innings) Cain replaces Abel in the 8th spot. Subsequently, Abel replaces Baker in the 8th spot. (Yes, I know this is not allowed). In the bottom of the 4th inning both Abel and Cain play on defense.

Between the bot 4/top 5, the PU becomes away of the snafu. How does one correct the issue?

-Josh
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 05:58pm
Official & ***** Member

Cain is an illegal sub, since he's already been in & out once. Abel must bat in the 8th spot. Whoever takes Cain's place on defense must bat in the 4th spot. If that's not Baker, Baker has been replaced once & can reenter.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
FED; At the beginning of the game, Abel is batting in the 8th position in the line-up and Baker is batting in the 4th. During the game (sometime within the first 3 innings) Cain replaces Abel in the 8th spot. Subsequently, Abel replaces Baker in the 8th spot. (Yes, I know this is not allowed). In the bottom of the 4th inning both Abel and Cain play on defense.

Between the bot 4/top 5, the PU becomes away of the snafu. How does one correct the issue?
4 Baker
8 Abel

Next we have

4 Baker
8 Cain replaces Abel

Next we have

4 Baker
8 Abel replaces Baker

Next we have

Abel and Cain playing defense

Cain was a sub and somewhere along the line he left the batting order/game, so he can't play defense, he is ejected.

Abel was a starter and is re-entering in same batting order he left from.

Need more info to deal with Baker, if he batted 4th and 8th, I am confused, and shame on both benches scorekeepers...

Last edited by DG; Thu Jul 05, 2012 at 08:11pm.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

I just couldn't resist:

How does one correct the issue?

You let Cain and Abel duke it out, and if history prevails, Cain will win the fight and Abel will the be out of the game.

The two haven't got along for YEARS.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I just couldn't resist:

You let Cain and Abel duke it out, and if history prevails, Cain will win the fight and Abel will the be out of the game.

LOL - that's funny!

Thanks
David
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I just couldn't resist:

That's great! Thanks for the laugh

-Josh
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Cain is an illegal sub, since he's already been in & out once. Abel must bat in the 8th spot. Whoever takes Cain's place on defense must bat in the 4th spot. If that's not Baker, Baker has been replaced once & can reenter.
First of all, I hope that my partner learned an important lesson about keeping a proper line-up card. But anyways...

Since it was between innings, Cain was not currently violating the illegal substitution rule (he wasn't currently out in the field nor at bat). Since we had an improper card, it had to be fixed. Abel was moved to the 8th spot and Baker (by team choice) was reentered into the 4th spot.

Any other thoughts? I think we did what we could with the situation. This situation was actually much more messy but I don't think I want to get into it at this point.

-Josh
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First of all, I hope that my partner learned an important lesson about keeping a proper line-up card. But anyways...

Since it was between innings, Cain was not currently violating the illegal substitution rule (he wasn't currently out in the field nor at bat). Since we had an improper card, it had to be fixed. Abel was moved to the 8th spot and Baker (by team choice) was reentered into the 4th spot.

Any other thoughts? I think we did what we could with the situation. This situation was actually much more messy but I don't think I want to get into it at this point.

-Josh
Just curious.... were any of the changes reported to the PU or did these things just happen? The reason I ask is because the lineup card is the official document, not a scorekeeper's book.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 12:03pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Since it was between innings, Cain was not currently violating the illegal substitution rule (he wasn't currently out in the field nor at bat).
All players must be in the batting order somewhere. Cain must be placed in the order retroactive to the bottom of the 4th, thus making him an illegal substitute.

I believe you made the best of a bad situation.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Just curious.... were any of the changes reported to the PU or did these things just happen? The reason I ask is because the lineup card is the official document, not a scorekeeper's book.
The changes were reported to the PU and put into the scorecard.

What brought this up to the surface was that the opposing team let the PU know that they were going to appeal a BOO when Abel got up to bat (who was in the on-deck circle following the batter in the third spot). Once the PU realized he had an improper card, he had to go talk with the coach to fix it. In my opinion, once he knows he has an improper card, it has to be fixed.

-Josh
Old Sat Jul 07, 2012, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The changes were reported to the PU and put into the scorecard.

What brought this up to the surface was that the opposing team let the PU know that they were going to appeal a BOO when Abel got up to bat (who was in the on-deck circle following the batter in the third spot). Once the PU realized he had an improper card, he had to go talk with the coach to fix it. In my opinion, once he knows he has an improper card, it has to be fixed.

-Josh
Well, my point is, if the changes are being reported and recorded by the PU, there shouldn't be an improper scorecard. From the sound of it, your partner wasn't recording the changes and that lead to the situation.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Well, my point is, if the changes are being reported and recorded by the PU, there shouldn't be an improper scorecard. From the sound of it, your partner wasn't recording the changes and that lead to the situation.
Actually my partner was recording the changes, just not properly

He doesn't mark off substitutes on the sub list, like I've been taught to do but he was recording all the subs on line-up. It was a major blunder

-Josh
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually my partner was recording the changes, just not properly

He doesn't mark off substitutes on the sub list, like I've been taught to do but he was recording all the subs on line-up. It was a major blunder

-Josh
Now I understand.... I hope you gave him a quick lesson on how to handle a lineup card.