The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Umpires accosted off the field following Midwest Collegiate League Game

Permit me to preface this post by stating that I am not here to bash the league or its commissioner or even my friend who is the assignor. I'm simply sharing an incident with y'all that occurred after a game I worked last night in Sycamore, IL. (a town that borders DeKalb, home of NIU). In 35 years of umpiring and 21 at the NCAA/college level, I have never experienced anything like what transpired last night.

Rather than rehash everything here, I've uploaded to dropbox the umpire report that I submitted late last night/early this morning. (It was too large to upload to the forum.)

Click here to view it.

Feel free to peruse it and opine here--not about the report; rather, your thoughts on the entire situation. Again, I'm not here to bash the league or its commissioner, or even demand that they do this or that. It's in their hands, and we umpires in the league are simply waiting to see what happens.

Last edited by UMP25; Fri Jun 29, 2012 at 12:50pm. Reason: Redaction
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

I would hope that if I were in the same situation, I would not respond with "You're going to put 15 runs on me" ... but fully admit that it would have been mighty difficult to not say a word given that much provocation.

Most games around here have off-duty personnel that likely would have gotten involved much earlier in this situation, which might have diffused it.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Considering Mike asked it in the form of a rhetorical question, it was really a very minor thing, if that. After all, human instincts can sometimes cause us to say something we really shouldn't have said.

Because of the manner in which it happened, there really was no way anyone could have prevented this or even have foreseen it. Hasty's blow-up was totally unexpected and without provocation.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 04:17pm
Veteran College Umpire

After the physical assault, I would have called the police and had him arrested (in Illinois physical contact with a sports official is illegal). Then I would have resigned immediately from the league.
Nobody needs that kind of abuse.

JJ
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 04:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

It amazes me how baseball people run the gamut -- from gentlemen to knuckle-draggers. You've encountered the latter. I would've called the police, too. Appears you had witnesses to the battery, as well.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with calling the police. I think you guys know the comment probably wasn't the wisest decision, but most people would have said a lot worse than that.

Other thoughts:

-I think that after the first bump your partner should have turned around. He left himself very vulnerable to serious injury by not doing so.
- Why did you allow "You're lazy" to go without some kind of warning/ejection? Especially if it is being yelled across the field. That is a personal attack that deserves an early shower from LL to MLB.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadman15241 View Post
Why did you allow "You're lazy" to go without some kind of warning/ejection?
How idiotic would an umpire look trying to eject someone in the parking lot? Don't you think that's only going to incite the guy to get worse? This stuff going on in the parking lot, you just want to get out of there. Ejecting him in the parking lot is just going to make things worse.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

You're Lazy!

Quoting from the write-up:

Quote:
However, the “You’re ****ing lazy!” comment came, I believe, as a result of a home run hit by a visiting team batter earlier in the game. There was nobody on base. Consequently, I was in my traditional “A” position down the first base line when the batter hit a deep fly ball to left field. The ball landed in the bullpen on the fly, resulting in a solo home run. Because the ball was hit to left field with no one on base, the home run decision is the plate umpire’s, who was the person who did, in fact, make the initial call. However, home team's Manager asked Plate Umpire to check with me and ask what I saw (it was twilight and visibility was admittedly terrible; however, I did see it easily clear the fence). I told Plate Umpire that I saw a clear home run. Plate Umpire explained this to home team Manager, who didn’t complain. Plate Umpire and I returned to our starting positions when visiting team Manager suddenly and inexplicably walked out of his first base dugout toward me and yelled to me, “Get in position out there! You’re lazy!” I completely ignored him, especially since such calls to left with no one on base are never the base umpire’s call to make. Quite honestly, I had no idea why he was yelling this to me.
So the coach had yelled "You're lazy!" to the umpire during the game as well.

Last edited by LilLeaguer; Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 02:00pm. Reason: Anonymization
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

In all fairness, I wasn't 100% sure he was talking directly to ME for two reasons:
  1. He didn't come that close to me and it was difficult to discern exactly what he was doing
  2. The call was so clearly NOT mine that I honestly felt no one with any brain cells could be yelling at a base ump in the "A" position about a fly ball hit to direct left field

Because of this, I didn't pay much attention to his comment and therefore didn't eject him. I surely would have had I known with absolute certainty he was hurtling such invective toward me.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

A couple updates

Mike sent me this Email after doing a little fun digging on Vern Hasty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by from a Chicago State University official after Hasty was fired
"We felt that coach Mahmoud took over our team during a very tough situation..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by news article author's comments
I assume this is referring to Coach Hasty leaving his position as head baseball coach at CSU. Why was he fired? You may recall he had a "fit" of sorts at a game earlier in the season (April 2007) in which he called the police after being ejected from a game, and tried to have the umpire charged with disorderly conduct. Of course, the cops laughed all the way back to the station. I'd love it if someone could tell me where Coach Hasty is now. He is certainly leaving an interesting trail...
That was from a post from 2009.

Just an FYI--I'm not unaware of the legal situation this whole thing represents. I just got off the phone with a very friendly and helpful Sycamore police officer, who provided me with some good information. Time and space don't permit me to elaborate right now, but I can say that I still retain the right to file a complaint against Hasty. Truthfully, I would prefer to do it only if Mike joins me. I think it would look rather odd if only one of us pursues it. Either we both should or neither should.

I'll keep you updated.

Last edited by UMP25; Tue Jun 12, 2012 at 05:42pm.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

(Composed my original reply while the OP was posting #10. The only ODD part of one of you pursuing the issue is how odd your "partner" will look. If neither of you make a report, you are doing all officials and participants a disservice - no battery should go unreported.)

Even after the fact, call the local authorities. Please!

Even if there is no action taken by the authorities, the event is recorded for future reference. Even if you do/did not want to take any action, think about the next person who the miscreant may act out upon. Maybe just having a face to face with a uniformed officer will be the cure. Maybe the miscreant already has had some police contact...

---
Based on experience, I always program my cell to call the local police dispatch as a speed dial. I prefer the local dispatch as they will usually be "very" quick to respond to something at a sporting event... 911 or similar can work, but can take longer to get to a person who can help you (some 911 calls are answered by a call center, then routed to a local office).

If you are going somewhere new and are not sure whom to call in an emergency, use a search engine to find the dispatch center number, call, and ask their advice on how to contact them if the need arises (the most direct line to call).

The authorities would much rather you call when there "may" be an issue, than to arrive with an ambulance.

Last edited by d26; Tue Jun 12, 2012 at 05:53pm.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think I'd pursue anything with the police unless my partner wishes to do so as well. It wouldn't make sense for me to file a complaint alone.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
I don't think I'd pursue anything with the police unless my partner wishes to do so as well. It wouldn't make sense for me to file a complaint alone.
No one has the right to lay hands on you unless they are patting you on the back for a job well done, shaking your hand, or hugging you (we'll leave that one alone). If you were physically assaulted (even a push), you should be reporting this to the police. Too many people think that they can "take the game" into the parking lot and feel that they have a "right" to verbally or physically assault officials. What will the next guy bring to the lot with him, a .38cal? You have to stop these morons in their tracks...... it's up to you!
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I am with Ozzy on this one. It is imperative that you file a police report ASAP, you were assaulted. You owe it to your fellow brothers in blue who might have the next run in with this putz. This guy needs a wake up call that this type of idiotic behavior isn't condoned by our fraternity.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
After the physical assault, I would have called the police and had him arrested (in Illinois physical contact with a sports official is illegal). Then I would have resigned immediately from the league.
Nobody needs that kind of abuse.

JJ
In fairness to the league, John, my colleagues and I are waiting to see what the league is going to do. I'd rather my decision be based on reason, logic, and common sense and not emotion alone.

As far as the police report goes, tomorrow or Thursday I will head over to Sycamore and file the report. The more I think about this, the more I believe I just can't let this go. This guy really needs to be out of the game and off the field. I cannot cause that to happen, but if having him arrested gets him a little closer to the exit door, the game will be the better for it. Regardless, I wouldn't file a report for the good of the game or for my fellow umpires. I'd file it because he broke the law, and that is what's important here.