The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
I would not let the league handle this
I certainly hope you are refering to only the personnal attack and not anything else.

You have a useless case if you don't follow the procedures alloted in the League. This is the same problem that law enforcement has every day and then some. Having the paperwork in proper order enables the League to penalize accordingly.

UMP25 - I realize that one feels violated after an incident like this however, publiclly posting only your side of the story with specific details can get you into more problems than you think. I am not saying what you reported is wrong, I am saying that when a League investigates the incident they will take into account statements from both sides, before making a decision. Be careful.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would not let the league handle this -- I would've called the police while on site. However, I wouldn't have posted the ejection report, either, just like I wouldn't have posted the arrest report or the coach's mugshots (if available).
Are you merely saying you wouldn't have posted the ej report HERE? Or are you saying you wouldn't fill one out at all?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 01:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Are you merely saying you wouldn't have posted the ej report HERE? Or are you saying you wouldn't fill one out at all?
I'm saying I'd call the police on *top* of doing the required paperwork. If the league said "don't call the police" I would ignore that.

I would keep a close eye on what the league did, though -- if there's a pattern of this behavior and coaches not getting suspended, I'd probably quit working the league.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm saying I'd call the police on *top* of doing the required paperwork. If the league said "don't call the police" I would ignore that.
Ah. Got it. And I agree.

Quote:
I would keep a close eye on what the league did, though -- if there's a pattern of this behavior and coaches not getting suspended, I'd probably quit working the league.
Absolutely.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Ah. Got it. And I agree.

Absolutely.
The league is young--this is its 3rd year--but I do not believe it has a history of such problems.

The league is still conducting an investigation. Because Hasty has threatened legal action against the league if they discipline him in any manner, the league has asked Mike and me to submit signed, notarized affidavits and a second incident report detailing who was in the immediate vicinity of the altercation. They're wanting to get all their ducks in a row to make sure they have rock solid info in case Hasty tries to counter with something of his own.

Regardless, I'm heading to the Sycamore Police Dept. to file the complaint. I will include my original umpire report, the relevant Illinois statutes, and anything else I think would be helpful.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 03:44pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
The league is young--this is its 3rd year--but I do not believe it has a history of such problems.

The league is still conducting an investigation. Because Hasty has threatened legal action against the league if they discipline him in any manner, the league has asked Mike and me to submit signed, notarized affidavits and a second incident report detailing who was in the immediate vicinity of the altercation. They're wanting to get all their ducks in a row to make sure they have rock solid info in case Hasty tries to counter with something of his own.

Regardless, I'm heading to the Sycamore Police Dept. to file the complaint. I will include my original umpire report, the relevant Illinois statutes, and anything else I think would be helpful.
It sounds like Hasty thinks he's bulletproof for some reason. If this guy doesn't get some discipline, every umpire in that league should walk on out the league, because I don't think I would want to work for a league that condones such actions as the type of Hasty.

If anything the team he coaches should $hit can his butt.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

You would think the team's owner would do something on his own. After all, this is a moneymaking league that is trying to come across as some "pre-professional" (their words, not mine) collegiate league. They're trying to be more like the Northwoods and Cape Cod Leagues, which is quite a stretch for any league, IMHO.

Considering the mental instability of Hasty, I personally think he's either bluffing about legal action against the league, or he is simply delusional, like he was in that Chicago State incident where he called the cops on the plate umpire who ejected him.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would not let the league handle this -- I would've called the police while on site. However, I wouldn't have posted the ejection report, either, just like I wouldn't have posted the arrest report or the coach's mugshots (if available).
100% agree that the police should have been called.

100% believe that the report should not have been posted.

Last edited by asdf; Thu Jun 14, 2012 at 07:23pm.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I certainly hope you are refering to only the personnal attack and not anything else.

You have a useless case if you don't follow the procedures alloted in the League. This is the same problem that law enforcement has every day and then some. Having the paperwork in proper order enables the League to penalize accordingly.

UMP25 - I realize that one feels violated after an incident like this however, publiclly posting only your side of the story with specific details can get you into more problems than you think. I am not saying what you reported is wrong, I am saying that when a League investigates the incident they will take into account statements from both sides, before making a decision. Be careful.
FWIW, some redactions made.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As a longtime prosecutor, I would suggest you not bring the statutes. The police will take that as you trying to tell them how to do their job. (Think of it as a coach coming onto the field with the rule book open after you make a call.) Tell them the facts and let them deal with the law.

If they don't do what you want, well, then call them up in a few days, and say, "Hey, you know, I was talking to this POB guy on the Internet, and he says he's a lawyer or something, and he mentioned that these statutes might apply . . . ."
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pob14 View Post
as a longtime prosecutor, i would suggest you not bring the statutes. The police will take that as you trying to tell them how to do their job. (think of it as a coach coming onto the field with the rule book open after you make a call.) tell them the facts and let them deal with the law.

If they don't do what you want, well, then call them up in a few days, and say, "hey, you know, i was talking to this pob guy on the internet, and he says he's a lawyer or something, and he mentioned that these statutes might apply . . . ."
+1

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pob14 View Post
As a longtime prosecutor, I would suggest you not bring the statutes. The police will take that as you trying to tell them how to do their job. (Think of it as a coach coming onto the field with the rule book open after you make a call.) Tell them the facts and let them deal with the law.

If they don't do what you want, well, then call them up in a few days, and say, "Hey, you know, I was talking to this POB guy on the Internet, and he says he's a lawyer or something, and he mentioned that these statutes might apply . . . ."
Makes sense. I'll have to be sure to tell one of my colleagues that it wasn't such a great idea in the first place.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Saying that in the form of a rhetorical question is not unlike saying something along the lines of, "Hey, don't blame 15 runs and 6 errors in one inning on me, Vern."

Anyway, police report has been filed. The Sycamore officer has been nothing but helpful and totally empathetic. We'll see how this plays out.

Last edited by UMP25; Fri Jun 15, 2012 at 10:04pm.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

The league at first decided to suspend Hasty indefinitely because of the pending criminal investigation. However, his suspension was lifted after serving only a few games. He's back in the dugout.

No comment.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 02:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The league at first decided to suspend Hasty indefinitely because of the pending criminal investigation. However, his suspension was lifted after serving only a few games. He's back in the dugout.

No comment.
And what is the benefit of doing these leagues again? Remind me so I can avoid them even more than I do now.

Peace