The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

My first umpire gear and unies were from +POS. I remember going there and if it was early afternoon, they'd invite me to join them for lunch; and let me tell you--they always had huge spreads for lunch. It was like a big catering affair.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 01:26pm
In Time Out

I knew several of the veteran umpires that used to swear by +POS.

This was back before the Internet. A catalog, and a phone call took care of everything.

I used to deal with a supplier that sold Dalco brand uniforms. They were cheaper, and held up real well. I have some shirts that I used for five years, and they're still in great shape.

They carried pants that were lightweight, but they kept their crease forever. All you had to do was take proper care of them. Had great service too.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 01:29pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
My first umpire gear and unies were from +POS. I remember going there and if it was early afternoon, they'd invite me to join them for lunch; and let me tell you--they always had huge spreads for lunch. It was like a big catering affair.
How convenient it must have been to "just" show up around lunchtime....

Uniforms and a buffet.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Made up for their prices sometimes.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 08:57pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Well, one reason why I will NOT go with Ump Attire for now is because they refuse to affix uniform numbers on anything. When I placed an order some 6 weeks ago for a couple shirts, they replied, "We're sorry, but we only sell the numbers loose and unattached to the shirts. If you want them put on, we recommend having a tailor do it."

Tried that once; it was a disaster. What stinks is that most suppliers will not affix numbers to shirts/jackets that they did not sell you. So, this policy by Ump Attire is really stupid and not very customer friendly.
You're entitled to your opinion, but to not shop at the most customer friendly company in the country b/c they won't sew on numbers, seems rather petty. Find a different person in your area who can affix the numbers correctly.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

It's not customer friendly when a company won't do what all its competitors will gladly do. Hopefully one day Ump-Attire will enter the 21st century.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 09:56pm
Stop staring at me swan.

There simply aren't a lot of guys who wear numbers on their shirts.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 10:37pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Made up for their prices sometimes.
Remember, extra food=extra pounds=bigger britches. They were playing you like a cheap guitar.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
There simply aren't a lot of guys who wear numbers on their shirts.
An incorrect generalization around here. A solid majority of umpires with whom I work have numbers.

Any company who wants to be at or near the top in customer service in a limited, narrow market but who refuses to provide a simple service that all of its competitors provide isn't very "customer friendly". I'd call that either lazy or shortsighted.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

I have also found UmpAttire to be rigid and less than "customer understanding" at times. In a business as fickle as officiating supplies, that is risky.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 08:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
An incorrect generalization around here. A solid majority of umpires with whom I work have numbers.

Any company who wants to be at or near the top in customer service in a limited, narrow market but who refuses to provide a simple service that all of its competitors provide isn't very "customer friendly". I'd call that either lazy or shortsighted.
Just dropping in to add another data point. I'm disappointed with UA not embroidering numbers. It's not an easy job to do at home and it's kept me from ordering their shirts, which I otherwise find superior. Someone should send Jim Kirk to this thread.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 09:34am
Archaic Power Monger

I don't wear numbers and I don't like the fit of UA's shirts. That said, I took issue with they way they described their sizing and they did everything in their power to make it right. I can't argue with that kind of customer service and they have a loyal customer in me.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Just dropping in to add another data point. I'm disappointed with UA not embroidering numbers. It's not an easy job to do at home and it's kept me from ordering their shirts, which I otherwise find superior. Someone should send Jim Kirk to this thread.
I like everything about the ultimate shirts but the buttons & placket. Picky? Yeah.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

I have a seamstress locally that does work out of her home as kind of a second job. I think she charges me $2 or $3 to put numbers on a shirt, and $6 per pair of pants to hem. She does oustanding work and I don't have companies put numbers on no matter where I get the shirt from.

I love my polywools, but after hearing about the belt loop issue I might have to get the Ump Attire polywools for next year. I need new black shirts too and I will go with either Smitty or UA. The UA black shirt I have now seems to have faded rather quickly though.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Honig's was my go-to place when I worked baseball/softball and football back in central NY. I am a bit upset at the deal going on with FHSAA down here. Even though I have taken myself out of any state playoff consideration down here, I think it is wrong for one company to have sole rights to FHSAA gear.

Last edited by SWFLguy; Sat Jun 09, 2012 at 08:45pm.