The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

You know what will happen in a Beltran situation? The Cardinal's dugout would tell Beltran to step out of the batter's box until the people in the command center would have enough time to see the play.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 02:34am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I just don't understand why MLB doesn't just put robots on the field and they wouldn't need umpires because everything would be PERFECT.

Perfect Game pitched every time.
Every batter hitting 1000.
No Runs, No hits, No errors.
No need for whining players, just call down to the factory and get a new one.
No need for crying reporters having to pimp a story because the story would be the same every game.
No need to attend a game, just pay for an App and view it on your phone.

What a wonderful GAME!!!

EVERY TIME!!

Who needs robots when you have softball umpires.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Baseball has to be careful. If they do not implement it right, they will cause other controversies. It is one thing to get certain plays right, but so much can happen in baseball if the call is changed. And some of the plays that have been controversial have other implications that I do not think the public even thinks about.

Peace
I agree that MLB will have to be careful and think thoroughly about how certain replay situations will be handled. But it's a foregone conclusion that replay WILL be expanded...all this waxing about how baseball is officiated by humans and that mistakes are "part of the game" and it's been that way forever won't change that fact.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jun 05, 2012, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Critical "who knocked the ball out of bounds call" in Celtics-Heat game just reviewed with 41 seconds left in game. It took less than a minute to review. No big deal, Heat crowd barely made a sound when the initial call was reversed, Celtics get the ball. Probably saw it on arena monitors where replay was clear. Celtics win by 4. Big call, big correction aided by replay.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2012, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Critical "who knocked the ball out of bounds call" in Celtics-Heat game just reviewed with 41 seconds left in game. It took less than a minute to review. No big deal, Heat crowd barely made a sound when the initial call was reversed, Celtics get the ball. Probably saw it on arena monitors where replay was clear. Celtics win by 4. Big call, big correction aided by replay.
There were five hands there. I couldn't tell conclusively who touched it last.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2012, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
Gee whiz, holy mackeral. How you miss make this easy call reversal, as was made?

Last edited by DG; Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 11:13pm.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2012, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
That ball was conclusively off the Heat player's hand.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

The game was fine 75, 50 and 25 years ago and it is still fine now. The umpiring and playing have gotten better over time.

Most of this is coming from the media, who have convinced the fans that something just has to be done. IR in football is a joke. Review everything or review nothing. I hate it in the NFL, I hate it in basketball ("Lets go to the monitor to see if the toe was on the three point line" ), and it will be even worse in baseball.

The umpires better tell them to shove it.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
nah, Celtics would have won anyway ...
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

An OOB possession call with 41 seconds left, in a game won by the the team that benefitted from the reversal, on the other team's home court and the crowd barely made a sound when the reversal came, and the team that benefitted won by 4. How can anyone say that replay was a bad thing to have?

Celtics may have won anyway, but this reversal was huge, and clearly correct.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283
The game was fine 75, 50 and 25 years ago and it is still fine now. The umpiring and playing have gotten better over time.

Most of this is coming from the media, who have convinced the fans that something just has to be done. IR in football is a joke. Review everything or review nothing. I hate it in the NFL, I hate it in basketball ("Lets go to the monitor to see if the toe was on the three point line" ), and it will be even worse in baseball.
I agree with you 100 percent. Good gracious, each year there's a blizzard of articles saying "the umpires stink; something must be done." But your closing hope, that the umpires will resist this, is a lost cause. The umpires, as I understand it, embraced the current program regarding border calls, and why not? It relieves them of responsibility, ultimately, for controversial calls. This is "get the call right" carried to absurdity. I truly wish MLB umpires would tell Bud and Co., for what it's worth, to stuff it. But I'm not optimistic.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob James View Post
I agree with you 100 percent. Good gracious, each year there's a blizzard of articles saying "the umpires stink; something must be done." But your closing hope, that the umpires will resist this, is a lost cause. The umpires, as I understand it, embraced the current program regarding border calls, and why not? It relieves them of responsibility, ultimately, for controversial calls. This is "get the call right" carried to absurdity. I truly wish MLB umpires would tell Bud and Co., for what it's worth, to stuff it. But I'm not optimistic.
According to Jason Stark, the umpires have resisted expanded replay so far. I doubt if they will be able to hold it off for long, though.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 07:07am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
From Today's Washington Post

More on the subject......

Instant replays could instantly fix baseball’s umpire problem - Nationals Journal - The Washington Post

“Life isn’t perfect,” Torre said. “I think this is a game of life.”

Last edited by grunewar; Sun Jul 15, 2012 at 07:10am.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

One of the best statements I've read yet, concerning IR. Every coach from LL to MLB should have this tattooed on their foreheads so they can read it every morning when they look in the mirror!
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post

One of the best statements I've read yet, concerning IR. Every coach from LL to MLB should have this tattooed on their foreheads so they can read it every morning when they look in the mirror!
They can read it while replay is STILL expanded in MLB lol