The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   More on Batter Interference (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/91469-more-batter-interference.html)

MD Longhorn Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 844239)
Ugh. The movement doesn't have to be abnormal to be interference.

Methinks you need to learn what the word OR means.

Dave Reed Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir
.... simply standing up out of his crouch would not be interference.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 844666)
Yes, actually, it can be.

Matt, please provide an example of interference if a batter simply stands up out of his crouch.

ozzy6900 Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:02am

It thoroughly amazes me how some people can take a simple thing and complicate it so damn much! BI is not that hard to recognize if you stop adding all the "what if's" and the "what about" crap. Learn the definition of interference, learn when a batter may and may not vacate the box and you have all you need. It really isn't that hard! :eek:

LMan Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROUPthink (Post 844579)
If he moves there after the catcher has the ball and I feel it's done in order to "get in the way" I have no problem calling this.

I'd call that 'abnormal.'

Batter's not obligated to get on all fours/prone to avoid F2's throw.

YMMV.

Rich Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan (Post 844717)
I'd call that 'abnormal.'

Batter's not obligated to get on all fours/prone to avoid F2's throw.

YMMV.

I don't expect him to move at all. But if he does move, he comes under additional scrutiny. That's all I'm saying.

Matt Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 844700)
Methinks you need to learn what the word OR means.

I wasn't addressing the word "or." Any movement makes him liable, abnormal or not.

Matt Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Reed (Post 844705)
Matt, please provide an example of interference if a batter simply stands up out of his crouch.

All of them, unless the throw would have hit him anyway. The catcher is not obligated to predict what the batter is going to do.

Dave Reed Tue Jun 05, 2012 01:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 844796)
All of them, unless the throw would have hit him anyway. The catcher is not obligated to predict what the batter is going to do.

Well, that opinion is contrary to the MLBUM, JEA, and J/R interpretations.

CT1 Tue Jun 05, 2012 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir (Post 844697)
What is wishful thinking? That judgement is involved?

No -- that it is cut & dried. There are few calls where judgment is NOT involved.

MD Longhorn Tue Jun 05, 2012 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 844796)

While I understand your logic, it is contrary to all guidance we've been given at multiple levels of clinics as well as written materials produced by various entities.

I urge you to discuss this interpretation with your higher-ups at the next available clinic.

LMan Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 844795)
Any movement makes him liable, abnormal or not.

So, after the swing, the batter is supposed to instantly 'freeze' in place in the box. Uh huh. Sure he is.

Your hole is deep enough...stop digging.

RPatrino Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 844232)
If the batter remains in the box and makes no abnormal movements, he is immune to BI, no matter where F2 throws the ball.

If he steps out or makes abnormal movements, and if he consequently hinders the defense, it is BI.

It's not that difficult in practice.

My revisions (for simplicity sake) :

If the batter remains in the box and interferes , call it.
If the batter steps out of the box and interferes, call it.

mbyron Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 844852)
My revisions (for simplicity sake) :

If the batter remains in the box and interferes , call it.
If the batter steps out of the box and interferes, call it.

Simplicity seems to be rather unhelpful, especially regarding in obliterating the distinction between being in and out of the box.

RPatrino Tue Jun 05, 2012 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 844861)
Simplicity seems to be rather unhelpful, especially regarding in obliterating the distinction between being in and out of the box.

I was trying to obliterate your use of the term 'abnormal' and replace it simply with the term, 'interfere'. We see interference, we call it. For example, a pitcher might make an 'abnormal' looking pick off, that might not be a balk.

mbyron Tue Jun 05, 2012 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 844874)
I was trying to obliterate your use of the term 'abnormal' and replace it simply with the term, 'interfere'. We see interference, we call it. For example, a pitcher might make an 'abnormal' looking pick off, that might not be a balk.

What counts as interference is different depending on whether the batter is in the box. Normal movements in the box are legal; normal movements out of the box might not be.

Your formulation is content-free and useless: call interference when the batter interferes. The point of the thread is to illuminate what the batter can and cannot do, and your post doesn't help.