The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   More on Batter Interference (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/91469-more-batter-interference.html)

Rich Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 844489)
Really? Now your trying to insert yourself into the game. You may have a better argument that if the play was at second, the Batter could be called for leaning over the plate, but returning to his original stance is stretching it.

Batter ducks for a pitch just over his head and when he returns to his normal stance he gets hit with the throw to a base. I suppose your calling that BI too.

If he moves there after the catcher has the ball and I feel it's done in order to "get in the way" I have no problem calling this.

Rich Ives Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:17am

:mad: Listen folks - the whole reason that the batter is semi-imune in the box is so the catcher can't just plunk the batter to get a cheap out. Don't help the catcher get a cheap out.

Mrumpiresir Sun Jun 03, 2012 02:20pm

Gentlemen, use your judgement. If a batter, in the box, is doing what he normally would, I don't have any inteference. If he carelessly moves out of the box and hinders the catcher or does something intentional to hinder the play, call interference. Most times you will know it when you see it.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Jun 03, 2012 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 844580)
:mad: Listen folks - the whole reason that the batter is semi-imune in the box is so the catcher can't just plunk the batter to get a cheap out. Don't help the catcher get a cheap out.

Get DirecTV.;)

Matt Sun Jun 03, 2012 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir (Post 844589)
Gentlemen, use your judgement. If a batter, in the box, is doing what he normally would, I don't have any inteference. If he carelessly moves out of the box and hinders the catcher or does something intentional to hinder the play, call interference. Most times you will know it when you see it.

It's posts like these that make teaching what BI is (and isn't) difficult.

Mrumpiresir Mon Jun 04, 2012 04:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 844593)
It's posts like these that make teaching what BI is (and isn't) difficult.

Why would this be difficult for you? Please explain.

The rule book defines what is interference, but on the field you need to use judgement as to what actually happens. It seems everytime there is contact or an unusual situation, a coach starts hollering "interference" when it may be nothing more than incidental contact.

For example, Legion game, batter lays down a bunt and catcher throws ball wide to the foul side first. F3 moves to field the ball and there is a bump between F3 and the BR. Ball is not caught and goes down the right field line. First base coach starts hollering "interference". (what he really meant was obstruction). I judge incidental contact, both runner and F3 were doing what they were supposed to be doing. BR winds up at third so he really wasn't impeded.

Too often umpires feel they need to make a call. Don't be afraid to use common sense judgement.

Matt Mon Jun 04, 2012 06:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir (Post 844655)

Because every sentence was incomplete or incorrect. Let's see...

Quote:

If a batter, in the box, is doing what he normally would, I don't have any inteference.

A batter can be doing what he normally would and still interfere.

Quote:

If he carelessly moves out of the box and hinders the catcher

If he moves out of the box in any way, shape or form, and hinders the catcher, it is BI, even if he's trying to avoid it. Doesn't have to be careless or intentional.

Quote:

or does something intentional to hinder the play, call interference.

If he doesn't hinder the play, there's no interference.

Quote:

The rule book defines what is interference, but on the field you need to use judgement as to what actually happens. It seems everytime there is contact or an unusual situation, a coach starts hollering "interference" when it may be nothing more than incidental contact.

For example, Legion game, batter lays down a bunt and catcher throws ball wide to the foul side first. F3 moves to field the ball and there is a bump between F3 and the BR. Ball is not caught and goes down the right field line. First base coach starts hollering "interference". (what he really meant was obstruction). I judge incidental contact, both runner and F3 were doing what they were supposed to be doing. BR winds up at third so he really wasn't impeded.

Even if this had been interference, it's not BI.

Mrumpiresir Mon Jun 04, 2012 06:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir

Because every sentence was incomplete or incorrect. Let's see...

Nonsense.

Quote:
If a batter, in the box, is doing what he normally would, I don't have any inteference.

A batter can be doing what he normally would and still interfere.

This is true but simply standing up out of his crouch would not be interference.

Quote:
If he carelessly moves out of the box and hinders the catcher

If he moves out of the box in any way, shape or form, and hinders the catcher, it is BI, even if he's trying to avoid it. Doesn't have to be careless or intentional.

True, but you are nit-picking here.

Quote:
or does something intentional to hinder the play, call interference.

If he doesn't hinder the play, there's no interference.

Thats also true, but in my post I said he did hinder the play.

Quote:

Even if this had been interference, it's not BI.

The point you are missing is any interference is going to be a judgement call. Which was the only point I was trying to make.

Matt Mon Jun 04, 2012 07:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir (Post 844664)
This is true but simply standing up out of his crouch would not be interference.

Yes, actually, it can be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir (Post 844664)
True, but you are nit-picking here.

You're absolutely right, which is why I have an issue with your original post. BI has intricacies based on what happens with the ball, batter, and catcher, and is evaluated conditionally based on those facts. Blanket statements such as yours that are inaccurate gloss over those intricacies and find themselves as improper guidelines that actually get used.

So, yes, I'm going to nit-pick, because I want it called correctly.

Mrumpiresir Mon Jun 04, 2012 07:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 844666)
Yes, actually, it can be.

You're absolutely right, which is why I have an issue with your original post. BI has intricacies based on what happens with the ball, batter, and catcher, and is evaluated conditionally based on those facts. Blanket statements such as yours that are inaccurate gloss over those intricacies and find themselves as improper guidelines that actually get used.

So, yes, I'm going to nit-pick, because I want it called correctly.

OK, I want it called correctly also. The highlighted part above is judgement, isn't it.

I don't think my original post was wrong, although it may have been incomplete. But I think you are reading too much into it. I just tried to keep it simple. There is no doubt in my mind that you and I both know what constitutes interference and will make the approprite call.

Matt Mon Jun 04, 2012 07:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir (Post 844667)
OK, I want it called correctly also. The highlighted part above is judgement, isn't it.

No. "Evaluated conditionally" is interpretation.

Judgment only refers to answering the question "What did I observe?" Any rule-based contextual evaluation or analysis of what you observed is interpretation.

Mrumpiresir Mon Jun 04, 2012 07:42am

Come on Matt, All I ever wanted to interject into the discussion was that in almost every situation there is a degree of judgement involved. Are you denying that is true?

It seems that you are saying BI is cut and dried and there is no room for judgement.

CT1 Mon Jun 04, 2012 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir (Post 844675)
Come on Matt, All I ever wanted to interject into the discussion was that in almost every situation there is a degree of judgement involved. Are you denying that is true?

It seems that you are saying BI is cut and dried and there is no room for judgement.

Wishful thinking.

Mrumpiresir Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:24am

What is wishful thinking? That judgement is involved?

MD Longhorn Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teccan9nja (Post 844226)
These couple posts about BI makes me wonder what it would take to get a BI call. Specifically on pick-offs to third base. Many batters will notice the catcher pop up and take a step or two back in an attempt to get out of the way to avoid the call. Sometimes those actually get into the way of the catcher. I've never called it because I want to understand the call better before making it.

Batters that take a step or two back and hinder the throw are guilty of interference.