The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Judging from his subsequent post, he isn't. He seems to believe that umpire calls justify physical attacks by players. He is either to emotionally involved or SAUmp and Steve Tyler have been right all this time.

Too bad. I used to respect him.
"I am not excusing moron Lawrie for throwing the helmet folks, but the call was clearly sent as an FU, and was the catalyst for the tirade. Not an excuse for it, but the reason behind it. " Did you not see this or ignore it?
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
"I am not excusing moron Lawrie for throwing the helmet folks, but the call was clearly sent as an FU, and was the catalyst for the tirade. Not an excuse for it, but the reason behind it. " Did you not see this or ignore it?

Oh, I'm sorry. Does that post cancel out his justifying the act in post 1? Or, 9, 20 or ..........or........
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

You are not very bright, are you?

He was joking.
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are not very bright, are you?

He was joking.
Ignoring your habit of name calling, let's look at your statement. You provided him that out earlier and he didn't take it. Instead he continued to justify the attack by blaming the umpire.

Even if the post you quoted, he places the blame on the umpire.

You may agree with his parsing of language, but anyone who does not fault the agressor for his actions is truly the one who is not very bright. There is never a justification for violence visited upon an official. It's that simple.
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

I did not call you a name.

If I leave a plasma screen tv on my porch and go out to a fish fry, I have taken an action that might very well cause the tv to be stolen. A person that steals that TV is still a bad guy who should be punished.

That is an analogy.
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did not call you a name.

If I leave a plasma screen tv on my porch and go out to a fish fry, I have taken an action that might very well cause the tv to be stolen. A person that steals that TV is still a bad guy who should be punished.

That is an analogy.
An inaccurate one at that.

I'll use slower key strokes this time. There was no action by the umpire that can be used, in any way, to justify or explain away the actions of the players. He owns them. He initiated them. To try to put any responsibility on the umpire is to display a tremendous misunderstanding of personal accountability.

The umpire did not create an attractive nuisance. He did not leave his door unlocked. He did not leave a window open, he did not leave a TV on the porch. He was doing his job. Thankfully, MLB understands the danger of allowing a player ANY excuse, reason, rationale or justification for making contact with an umpire.
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 11:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Okay then, in what state would throwing a helmet at an umpire be a felony? What's the charge? Assault with intent to make a boo-boo?
So you are saying that if I threw an object at the ground and hit a person, that would be legal? I am not so sure that is what you mean, but you have to know that is not the case. Better yet, what if a man did that to a woman, would we say that that was OK too?

Peace
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

He was not doing his job when he called strike 3 on ball 4 and did so on purpose.

This is why the batter went nuts. That is a reason, not an excuse. The umpire created the situation...the batter reacted in a completely inappropriate manner and should certainly be sanctioned for his inexcusable action.

Of course, the umpire should be sanctioned, as well. I also think it should be a public act.
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 11:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
He was not doing his job when he called strike 3 on ball 4 and did so on purpose.

This is why the batter went nuts. That is a reason, not an excuse. The umpire created the situation...the batter reacted in a completely inappropriate manner and should certainly be sanctioned for his inexcusable action.

Of course, the umpire should be sanctioned, as well. I also think it should be a public act.
He should be sanctioned for a missed pitch? Really???

Peace
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm sorry. I deal with reality and facts not suppositions.

It's okay to disagree. You can believe that umpires are subject to violence as a direct result of their calls.

I don't. Thankfully, MLB doesn't.

Enjoy your evening. Moving on, now.
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
He should be sanctioned for a missed pitch? Really???

Peace

Exactly, Jeff. But only after being physically attacked. After all, he started it.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 12:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Exactly, Jeff. But only after being physically attacked. After all, he started it.
What cracks me up is do these people realize that if they missed a call, they would be rather upset if they were suspended over one missed call? We have technology that shows these things (and they have been proven to not be accurate as well) to show these things. But when many famous MLB Pitchers were in the game, no one hardly said a word if that pitcher go that pitch called a strike. I just do not get this self-righteousness over something that I am sure if we all had our game broken down that way, we would have at least one pitch no in that little computer zone.

Peace
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 12:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
No, I just saw the pitch from knowing what is and isn't a strike from many years of calling balls and strikes, many more balls and strikes than Miller has EVER called.
How nice. You're experience of calling amateur baseball should be compared to the experience of a MLB umpire who has years in the major leagues plus a ton of other professional experience.

Go back on your meds.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 12:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I'm glad you're in Miller's head.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 03:20am
In Time Out

Hmmmmmm, I smell a little bromance in the air..................