The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Stopping in...

I thought I would take a minute to stop in and "visit" with my old colleagues. Many of you will remember that I was forced to retire in July 2010 because of a spinal cord injury and resulting paralysis I sustained from a badly herniated disc in my back. A lot has happened since that time.

On the positive side, after another needed surgery for my hip and over seven months of physical therapy, I am now able to walk without even a cane. My walking continues to improve gradually. I am not quite as fast as I used to be but get around pretty well. I have been cleared for full duty at work since January.

On the negative side of things, my body overall still doesn't work like it used to. I suffer from a condition called spasticity that results in muscles that are abnormally tight and my flexion in my left foot/ankle is much better than 2010 but still weak. As a result of the muscle/nerve issues, I can't do anything more that walk briskly for short distances. I have other internal issues that are a result of the spinal cord injury as well.

With all of that said, I am very grateful for what I have. Most spinal cord injured patients do not walk again much less walk unassisted. I have seen and know patients that are much worse than me.

I still miss umpiring every day. In February I attended my first HS Association meeting since my injury. I went just to say hello but found out that they had given me a Distinguished Service Award in 2011 but were holding it until I came back. I was very honored but I would give it back in a second to be umpiring again.

There are times that I can see myself out on the field in a year or two. There are others where I don't think it will be possible. I will never be able to work at the level or frequency that I once did. The best I can hope for is to sneak out on a JV game somewhere and hope I can make it for seven innings. I am OK with the fact that even if I can work a little, I will likely never work a varsity game much less a playoff game again.

I don't miss the long drives, snotty fans, or the soaked clothes. I do miss being on the field, working to get things right, and most of all my fellow umpires. When I spoke to my HS association, I mentioned that everyone had that one school that they dreaded being assigned to for one reason or another. I acknowledged that was true for me but if I could just get back to umpiring I wouldn't care if I was assigned to my least favorite school for every game.

Some of you have mentioned in the past that I should consider being an evaluator. Unfortunately that isn't realistic at this point. Our HS Association is very spread out and while I don't expect a game check for being an evaluator, I would need to get some gas money to cover my expenses. That is not possible at this time.

Umpiring is kind of like a train, once it leaves the station it doesn't come back. If you are on the train, you are part of the group. If you are left at the station you miss out on being part of the group. I still talk with a couple of umpire friends from time to time. I don't press the issue because I know everyone is busy working games and it's tough to find the time to talk. I am not mad at anyone but wish it was easier to stay in touch.

I have gone on way too long and I apologize. Please believe me that officiating is a privellege and one that can be taken away at any time. Please do your best to work hard in every game you have and enjoy the time you spend on the field. I am living proof that it can all go away very quickly.

Thanks for letting me stop in and visit,

Lawrence
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 02:15am

God bless you Lawrence! I'm glad you're back walking without a cane now. I know how it is to miss umpiring. I had to stop for health reasons now for the second time, but I know I'll be back. Hang in there and know that you will always be an umpire in our eyes! You stay with us and hang out anytime!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Lawrence, it's very nice to hear that you are doing so well. I know you still have some hurdles to overcome, but I have no doubt you will succeed. Just remember, you are, and always will be our brother in blue. You always have a place here.

There are a couple of ways you can stay involved apart from on the field that don't require driving. Have you considered a role as an rule interpreter or (bite my tongue) helping your assignor? Just thoughts.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Lawrence, good to hear from you again!
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Lawrence, stop in anytime. Hope and pray that your recovery goes well.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Way to go, Lawrence...I just heard a 14 year old groan when I asked him to stand up in a classroom demonstration because he was "tired".

You are an inspiration!
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Lawrence, there is always a reason why. Hang tough and the UIC of this game called life will certainly show you someday.

You Da Man !

All the Best.