The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 02:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Yeah, we evaluators are sneaky like that, aren't we?
It's a good day if the evaluator only cares about the brand of pants I'm wearing.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 03:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupthink View Post
it's a good day if the evaluator only cares about the brand of pants i'm wearing.
+1
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 05:04pm
Veteran College Umpire

Honig's polywools. 1 pair for the plate, 1 pair for the bases. I do about 75 college games a year, and throw the pants in the washer and dryer after nearly every game. They'll last me 3 years before I replace them (that's how long the last ones lasted). That's good enough for me....and my assignor...and the evaluators.....and my partners.....

JJ
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

You forgot the umpire groupies, John.

Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
It's a good day if the evaluator only cares about the brand of pants I'm wearing.
Hate to drop this on you, but our association demands that our umpires dress in uniform as if in the military. That means we match each other when going on the field. Not only should they match but the uniforms must be neat, shirts tucked in at all times, no worn out ball bags or belts. If the crew doesn't match, both umpires are noted and if necessary, dealt with by the powers above. Just as the players and coaches wear identical uniforms, the umpire crew should take pride and do the same.

And as far as the brand of pants, our association decreed that we use GD charcoal, exclusively due to the mismatch of color across the other distributors. We have close to 60% college umpires who all have to have the GD brand, so we decided to go with the NCAA.

Last edited by ozzy6900; Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 07:39pm.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 08:30pm

Quote:
Hate to drop this on you, but our association demands that our umpires dress in uniform as if in the military. That means we match each other when going on the field. Not only should they match but the uniforms must be neat, shirts tucked in at all times, no worn out ball bags or belts. If the crew doesn't match, both umpires are noted and if necessary, dealt with by the powers above. Just as the players and coaches wear identical uniforms, the umpire crew should take pride and do the same.

And as far as the brand of pants, our association decreed that we use GD charcoal, exclusively due to the mismatch of color across the other distributors. We have close to 60% college umpires who all have to have the GD brand, so we decided to go with the NCAA.
I want to come work in your association. That would give me an excuse to buy all new stuff that my wife couldn't argue with!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 10:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Drop all you want, I don't work in your area. I get all the college assignments I want and I own one brand of pants, the GD. Sometimes we match, sometimes we don't. I'm not buying other pants just so we can look like twins.

Do you require umpires wear the same shoes? Same brand shirts?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 10:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Honig's polywools. 1 pair for the plate, 1 pair for the bases. I do about 75 college games a year, and throw the pants in the washer and dryer after nearly every game. They'll last me 3 years before I replace them (that's how long the last ones lasted). That's good enough for me....and my assignor...and the evaluators.....and my partners.....

JJ
If that's good enough for you, John, that's certainly good enough for anyone else here. Or should be.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

All of the college umpires in your area wear Davis pants? Do none of them wear polywools?