The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 01, 2012, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
For Fed, I'll go along with what Welpe has posted.

For OBR, I had something somewhat similar happen to me in a "controlled game" play at the Umpire School, and I was told that the INT trumped the OBS. I'm not sure if my situation applies in this OP situation.

R1 and a base hit to right field: R1 was obstructed by F3, so I signaled OBS. R1 headed without hesitation to 3rd and as the ball was coming in, R1 stuck his hand out to deliberately deflect it. (The throw would have put him out at 3rd, but since this was going to be somewhat of a close play at 3rd, I was going to award it to him because of the OBS back at 1st). However, I was eventually told that his INT with the throw negated the OBS, so R1 would be declared out for INT. The explanation was that the obstructed runner still has the responsibility of running the bases legally.
Once BR reached the next base, the OBS is ignored.

Last edited by thumpferee; Tue May 01, 2012 at 11:59am. Reason: Spelling
Old Tue May 01, 2012, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Again, I believe for NFHS there is precedence for that ruling however it was established. I believe it is also applicable for NCAA.

OBR, I just don't know.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Huh? WtF?
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Only if that next base is also the base that, in your judgment, the runner would have reached absent the OBS.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds View Post
Huh? WtF?
I know!

I originally hit submit reply by mistake, then I had a family situation come up during my edit and just said screw it.

I wanted to add as celebur mentioned and that I find it hard to give him 3rd on a base hit to RF. Unless BR was knocked down, it sounds like he was nailed at 3rd and needed to interfere since it was "somewhat of a close play".
Old Thu May 03, 2012, 04:36am
Official Forum Member

thumpferee: "...I wanted to add as celebur mentioned and that I find it hard to give him 3rd on a base hit to RF. Unless BR was knocked down, it sounds like he was nailed at 3rd and needed to interfere since it was "somewhat of a close play"..."

I am remembering more clearly now (the play did happen 3 months ago). I believe there was an R2 because I now remember being in the C position. The ball was drilled by the field instructor out into the right/center gap. As the appointed BR rounded 1st, he was OBS by F3 (not knocked down - this was a "controlled play" afterall). The BR continued without hesitation all the way toward 3rd. About 6 feet short of 3rd, he intentionally stuck his hand out to deflect the bouncing ball away from F5 (no player is going to stick his hand out at a thrown bullet). I was going to give him 3rd because of the OBS at 1st, but I was told (PBUC - OBR) that the INT negated that OBS for the reason I already mentioned in my previous post:

...the obstructed runner still has the responsibility of running the bases legally.