The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 09, 2012, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal Substitute

Fed: Freshman game.

Top of 3 we have a pinch hitter 16 for the pitcher 17, the coach relays the info to me. Bottom of 3 the pitcher re-enters and I don't notice and was not told. Top of 5 16 comes up to bat again for 17 (again no communication to me) and makes the final out of the inning. So we go to the bottom of 5 with the visitors up 11-0 so god willing this is it. Pitcher 17 is warming up and the home coach comes out to ask me about the pitcher re-entering the game. After some back and forth trying to figure out exactly what he was talking about we land on the above story.

So we have an illegal sub when 16 came back in a second time. I say that the pitcher needs to also leave the game, since he was subbed for a second time. Now things get funnier, the home coach says no no he just wanted to know what the ruling was he wants the pitcher to stay in (second of a double and they wanted to leave). I hadn't noticed but he had a no hitter going too. I tell the coach, that in the future if you don't want something ruled on then ask after the game because I can't just ignore things when they are brought to my attention. 16 was at fault, he wasn't supposed to come up to bat again. We all agree to let the kid finish off his nono and he did in 4 pitches.

I haven't been able to hit up my rule book, but ignoring that I let him stay in. Was my ruling that he had to leave correct to start with?
Old Mon Apr 09, 2012, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror View Post
Fed: Freshman game.

Top of 3 we have a pinch hitter 16 for the pitcher 17, the coach relays the info to me. Bottom of 3 the pitcher re-enters and I don't notice and was not told. Top of 5 16 comes up to bat again for 17 (again no communication to me) and makes the final out of the inning. So we go to the bottom of 5 with the visitors up 11-0 so god willing this is it. Pitcher 17 is warming up and the home coach comes out to ask me about the pitcher re-entering the game. After some back and forth trying to figure out exactly what he was talking about we land on the above story.

So we have an illegal sub when 16 came back in a second time. I say that the pitcher needs to also leave the game, since he was subbed for a second time. Now things get funnier, the home coach says no no he just wanted to know what the ruling was he wants the pitcher to stay in (second of a double and they wanted to leave). I hadn't noticed but he had a no hitter going too. I tell the coach, that in the future if you don't want something ruled on then ask after the game because I can't just ignore things when they are brought to my attention. 16 was at fault, he wasn't supposed to come up to bat again. We all agree to let the kid finish off his nono and he did in 4 pitches.

I haven't been able to hit up my rule book, but ignoring that I let him stay in. Was my ruling that he had to leave correct to start with?
Honestly, all that stuff in the middle didn't happen. If no one brought it to your attention, it didn't happen. I have 16 replacing 17, and then 17 coming back in to pitch the final inning. Period.

West Houston Mike