The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Question Position B?

I'm surprized no one else said it....

WIth runners on 1st and 3rd what are you doing in position B? Position C is the correct mechanic.... of course that is beside the point of asking for help from your partner...

Then again, if you were closer to 3rd (in position C) you likely could have sold the call better and not been questioned.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

WIth runners on 1st and 3rd what are you doing in position B? Position C is the correct mechanic....

Really?

From the Manual for the Two-Umpire System, published by Umpire Development Program:

Section 7 "Runners on First and Third"

7.1 Positioning

"With runners on 1st and 3rd, the base umpire will position himself in exactly the same manner as with a runner on 1st base only. (see Section 3.1)"

Of course, Section 3.1 does an excellent job of defining position "B".
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

You should only ask for help if the coach requests it and you are 110% sure that your partner will go along with your call
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 04:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144
You should only ask for help if the coach requests it and you are 110% sure that your partner will go along with your call
Then why ask?
mick
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

According to the PBUC "Manual for the 2-Man Umpire System" (1991-9 copyright), Position B IS the correct position for 1st & 3rd - is there a newer manual that changed it?
Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Who's calling the game??

Quote:
If this is your criteria then you'll be asking for help on every play.

Not in my world.

I'm the umpire, me and my partner are calling the game.

If I have a question about the call, then I will ask.

The only time I would listen to a coach is on a checked swing, but then I would have already asked anyway since if I have a question, I ask.

Don't let the coach umpire the game.

Thanks
David

Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 08:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Depnds

Positioning with R1/R3 depends on whose mechanics system you follw. FED uses C, the UDP uses B.

I use B. More things can happen over on the right side of the infield. The only benefit to C is that you can keep up the misguided myth that the runner on third is SO important that you should say close to him (corollary myth: in three man there should always be an umpire ahead of the lead runner).

Rich

Old Wed Jun 25, 2003, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

I guess it changed in 2000 since my 2001 manual says "B" . .

My 90's something manual also says "B".

R3 alone? This summer if I'm on the grass I'm either in A or D (insert REAL big grin).

Old Thu Jun 26, 2003, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Just another opinion and question

O) I would not go to my partner after I made a call. I would go to him before I made the call. Just like play at 1st, bad throw and I am in B or C and it's a swipe tag or foot off the base. Ask for help - Did you see a tag, if dish say yes, bang him out. Do not call out and then ask for help. You be better off calling the wrong thing, because the next thing you'll be doing is ejecting a coach.

Q) Why weren't you in the C slot ??? you mentioned runners on 1st and 3rd and you were in the B slot. Is this a new mechanic. I've seen some guys doing this lately. I have always been taught, if there is any runner on 2nd or 3rd, always be in C. That runner is the most important as they are closest to scoring.
Old Thu Jun 26, 2003, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

To DrC,

Re: O: I think you have to make a call before going to your partner. Easier to fix a wrong call than to have a myriad of things going on in a "continuation" situation that in and of themselves could create any number of bad scenarios with no call.

Re: Q: See previous replies about B vs. C, including mine.
Old Thu Jun 26, 2003, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry - I missed the few posts that went about B vs C

I have to diagree with you about the no call vs immediate call. I am not talking about calling time, walkig to my partner and having a discussion. I'm talking about the same quick mechanic like "DID HE GO", I'M AT 3RD, or I'M GOING OUT".....
Something like, "Chris Do u have a tag.." Can be done quick and to the point. All I'm trying to say is you may loose
some integrity if you question yourself. That could be a killer earlier in the game, or God forbid early in the 1st game of a Doubleheader.
Old Thu Jun 26, 2003, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

I understand what you're saying, however, it is quite possible that your partner wouldn't (maybe even shouldn't) be watching the play in question. Therefore, if so, his response to "do you have a tag" or similar could only be "no" or " i didn't see it", so you remain stuck with what you originally might have called, only to do it later after much else may have happened. I say make the call, wait for a manager to ask you if you want to ask your partner for help. If you're confident, don't ask, explain what you saw. If not, call time and discuss it privately - that way you don't create the awkward situation of forcing your partner to react to something he may have no clue about. If he did see something different, then you can change it.
Old Thu Jun 26, 2003, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

I personally think it puts your partner in more of an akward situation if you wait until after the coach is complaining.
For example:
Last night I'm PU and my BU has a horrible angle on a play at third and pumps the kid out at third. Coach goes nuts cuase he is right over the play and knows his kid is safe. So after a while a parent yells ask for help and my BU immeadiately points at me...I give the kid safe because it is pretty obvious from my angle(however I almost just said I had a screened view just so that it didn't look like the coach had gotten to me with his whining). Satisfies one coach and the other goes nuts saying I'm too far away. This all could have been avoided if BU simply said "Did he make it to the bag in time?" I make the call it is the only call and they can't argue this 50/50 BS. I as PU prefer the asking me before you get into all sorts of trouble. That'll be one of the things I discuss with my new partners from here on out.

However I would also reccomend you are pretty sure your partner had a good view...and if you aren't positive make sure it is a private conversation.

[Edited by CDcoach on Jun 26th, 2003 at 02:57 PM]
Old Thu Jun 26, 2003, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

If a coach asks you to go to your partner go to your partner to make him happy. Just make sure,before the game starts, that your partner will go along with call that you make.

Greg
Old Thu Jun 26, 2003, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

don't ask me then!!!

Quote:
If a coach asks you to go to your partner go to your partner to make him happy. Just make sure,before the game starts, that your partner will go along with call that you make.

Greg
Greg,

That's scary. Don't even think about asking me for help if you want me to agree with you.

Then simply make the call on your own, which you should have done to start with (with a few exceptions)

If we have a question, we will get together, discuss it and then if you have the call, you will make the final decision and then tell the coach.

I will let the other team know and we play ball.

Thanks
David