The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Major League Baseball Pitching Eligibility

Hey guys I currently have a bragging rights bet going on with a fellow official of mine. I have searched all over for a rules reference to the situation yet cannot find one. I am hoping that you all can help guide me in finding one.

In Major League Baseball, I say that in order for a player to be eligible to pitch that he must be listed on the official lineup as an eligible pitcher. If he is not listed on the lineup as a pitcher then he cannot pitch. My friend says that no such rule exists and that anyone on the team can pitch.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmjg24 View Post
Hey guys I currently have a bragging rights bet going on with a fellow official of mine. I have searched all over for a rules reference to the situation yet cannot find one. I am hoping that you all can help guide me in finding one.

In Major League Baseball, I say that in order for a player to be eligible to pitch that he must be listed on the official lineup as an eligible pitcher. If he is not listed on the lineup as a pitcher then he cannot pitch. My friend says that no such rule exists and that anyone on the team can pitch.
Sorry, you owe your buddy a beer.

(Think back, and you'd have known your position to be false. Jose Canseco comes immediately to mind, but there have been LOTS of examples of position players stepping in to pitch in a blowout. The lineup card in MLB doesn't list subs at positions anyway.)

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 01:24pm
Broadcaster

I can't imagine Wilson Valdez, who started at 2nd the night he pitched, being listed as an "eligible pitcher."
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Non-pitcher with Pitching Appearances - Baseball-Reference.com

A list of players who have at least five times as many games as a non-pitcher as they do as pitchers. While this does include players that switched positions for a while (Ruth, Ankiel), it also includes those that only pitched an inning or two.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 08:05am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmjg24 View Post
I have searched all over for a rules reference to the situation yet cannot find one.
Always a good hint that the rule doesn't exist. Just curious for my own learning...why did you think that?
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

I think its so

I seem to remember there is a stipulation that one of the "position" players be designated as an "emergency" pitcher. IIRC, the rationale is to allow a team to save their pitching staff in case of a blowout and/or injury situation. It happens a few times a year that a position player will take the mound to preserve the bullpen, but I do believe (at least in MLB) that there has to be a designated player to do that. I don't know how the designation is made, whether it is marked on the lineup card or whatever, or if it applies to all levels of pro ball or just MLB.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centkyref View Post
i seem to remember there is a stipulation that one of the "position" players be designated as an "emergency" pitcher. Iirc, the rationale is to allow a team to save their pitching staff in case of a blowout and/or injury situation. It happens a few times a year that a position player will take the mound to preserve the bullpen, but i do believe (at least in mlb) that there has to be a designated player to do that. I don't know how the designation is made, whether it is marked on the lineup card or whatever, or if it applies to all levels of pro ball or just mlb.
no such rule/limitation - which I tried typing in all caps but someone who thinks users are stupid created an editor that won't allow it.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 01:27pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
...iirc,...
ydrc
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

I remember late in his career, Rocky Colavito won a DH for the Yanks. A walk-off home run in the first game, and a save in the nightcap. As strong an arm as there ever was.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I seem to remember there is a stipulation that one of the "position" players be designated as an "emergency" pitcher. IIRC, the rationale is to allow a team to save their pitching staff in case of a blowout and/or injury situation. It happens a few times a year that a position player will take the mound to preserve the bullpen, but I do believe (at least in MLB) that there has to be a designated player to do that. I don't know how the designation is made, whether it is marked on the lineup card or whatever, or if it applies to all levels of pro ball or just MLB.
Excellent! A chance to use a word I so rarely get to use.

Horsehockey!

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

I just wonder WHERE these guys get these ideas.

T
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 03:52am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg View Post
I can't imagine Wilson Valdez, who started at 2nd the night he pitched, being listed as an "eligible pitcher."
Wilson Valdez or Wilson Alvarez? I'm guessing the latter.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Jose Canseco
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
Jose Canseco
There's an echo in here...

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry for the delay in a response. Been a lot of long days at work and long nights on the ball field the last couple of days.

My father played professional baseball in the early 70s and was a catcher. He had a pretty good arm and he remembers being listed on the lineup card as a pitcher in case they needed a few emergency innings.