The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

I know, we know, everyone knows that the Batter ain't OUT unit he enters or reaches the dugout, or of course he or 1st base is touched.

But what is the LIMIT of how long we wait?? Yesterday Am Legion game. (Not my normal low level JV, but someone must have got sick and they called me) Runners on base, 2-2 pitch is swung on and missed. Fastball right into glove that just boinks out and down to ground and is immediately picked up by catcher. I observed this from "C" but batter had no idea and is just walking away toward the first base dugout and down the line. The DEF is charging off the field, and in no time all defenders are gone.

I'm observing and sort of moving toward right but I'm suspicious. There is even a player out bringing the batters glove and hat. Batter is just halfway up the line. OK, NOW I hear the coach ,who is walking from 3rd box telling his batter to GO TO FIRST. The kid finally does then he tells him to GO TO 2nd! Now PU wants to talk to me (he doesn't know the ball was not caught).

I will not tell you what BS I used to get out of this. (Maybe later) and in fact we HAD a real way out we didn't use (realized postgame)..

But the ?? is.. is there a statute of limitations or time limit or some OTHER way to get this guy out and avoid a circus. I am amazed I don't see this play designed and used more.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I would allow the runner 1B in the situation you describe. As long as he's sort of standing around, he's OK to go to 1B. Now does putting on his glove constitute abandonment? Hmmm . . .

You would have to watch carefully if there were, say, a runner on 3B, because that runner could also abandon effort or be tagged out or who knows what.

Now if the teams changed sides and the batter who struck out on the dropped third strike was standing in left field as his pitcher was warming up, I'd say that was too late to go to 1B. By clearly going to field his position, the BR had abandoned effort.

Maybe another poster can cite the exact point at which the BR can no longer go to 1B.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BJ Moose
I know, we know, everyone knows that the Batter ain't OUT unit he enters or reaches the dugout, or of course he or 1st base is touched.

But what is the LIMIT of how long we wait?? Yesterday Am Legion game. (Not my normal low level JV, but someone must have got sick and they called me) Runners on base, 2-2 pitch is swung on and missed. Fastball right into glove that just boinks out and down to ground and is immediately picked up by catcher. I observed this from "C" but batter had no idea and is just walking away toward the first base dugout and down the line. The DEF is charging off the field, and in no time all defenders are gone.

I'm observing and sort of moving toward right but I'm suspicious. There is even a player out bringing the batters glove and hat. Batter is just halfway up the line. OK, NOW I hear the coach ,who is walking from 3rd box telling his batter to GO TO FIRST. The kid finally does then he tells him to GO TO 2nd! Now PU wants to talk to me (he doesn't know the ball was not caught).

I will not tell you what BS I used to get out of this. (Maybe later) and in fact we HAD a real way out we didn't use (realized postgame)..

But the ?? is.. is there a statute of limitations or time limit or some OTHER way to get this guy out and avoid a circus. I am amazed I don't see this play designed and used more.
Do they use FED rules in your version of American Legion ball? IF so, the batter-runner has until the infielders leave fair territory to start for first.