Thread: That
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BJ Moose
I know, we know, everyone knows that the Batter ain't OUT unit he enters or reaches the dugout, or of course he or 1st base is touched.

But what is the LIMIT of how long we wait?? Yesterday Am Legion game. (Not my normal low level JV, but someone must have got sick and they called me) Runners on base, 2-2 pitch is swung on and missed. Fastball right into glove that just boinks out and down to ground and is immediately picked up by catcher. I observed this from "C" but batter had no idea and is just walking away toward the first base dugout and down the line. The DEF is charging off the field, and in no time all defenders are gone.

I'm observing and sort of moving toward right but I'm suspicious. There is even a player out bringing the batters glove and hat. Batter is just halfway up the line. OK, NOW I hear the coach ,who is walking from 3rd box telling his batter to GO TO FIRST. The kid finally does then he tells him to GO TO 2nd! Now PU wants to talk to me (he doesn't know the ball was not caught).

I will not tell you what BS I used to get out of this. (Maybe later) and in fact we HAD a real way out we didn't use (realized postgame)..

But the ?? is.. is there a statute of limitations or time limit or some OTHER way to get this guy out and avoid a circus. I am amazed I don't see this play designed and used more.
Do they use FED rules in your version of American Legion ball? IF so, the batter-runner has until the infielders leave fair territory to start for first.