The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

F6 fields a ground ball and throws to F3 in attempt to retire B1 at first. The ball is thrown wide. As F3 lunges toward the ball, F3 collides with B1, knocking him to the ground prior to possessing the ball (a) while the runner is short of first base or (b) after the runner has contacted first base.
RULING: (a) Obstruction; (b) legal

Any ideas why the rulings are different?
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco53 View Post
F6 fields a ground ball and throws to F3 in attempt to retire B1 at first. The ball is thrown wide. As F3 lunges toward the ball, F3 collides with B1, knocking him to the ground prior to possessing the ball (a) while the runner is short of first base or (b) after the runner has contacted first base.

I've read this play a few times and I still have a problem picturing how F3 knocks over B1 after B1 has passed 1st.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sure, only in (a) does the fielder prevent the BR from reaching the base.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richvee View Post
I've read this play a few times and I still have a problem picturing how F3 knocks over B1 after B1 has passed 1st.
Picture the "wide" being toward foul right field.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Sure, only in (a) does the fielder prevent the BR from reaching the base.
In b it prevents the runner from going to 2nd as quickly as they would have if the ball is not caught. This ruling is not congruent with the rest of the book.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Picture the "wide" being toward foul right field.
OK. I can see it. Thanks. Given that situation, if F3 doesn't catch the ball, hasn't he obstructed B1 from advancing to 2nd?
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In b it prevents the runner from going to 2nd as quickly as they would have if the ball is not caught. This ruling is not congruent with the rest of the book.
In both versions of the case, F3 possesses the ball, making an advance by the BR unwise. The case is designed to address OBS at 1B only.

I'd certainly consider OBS if the ball got away from F3.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Not enough information to answer adequately.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Sure there is. On this ground ball play, the runner will be almost always running through the base, not looking to go to second. On a wide throw (as opposed to an inside throw), the fielder may be taken into a place where his momentum causes a collison with B/R after he has gained the base safely. The latter was not impeded on a ball that is caught. As has been suggested, if the throw had sailed high and wide (or skipped by), and the runner would have likely had an opportunity to advance, you could have OBS.

I once had a play involving just such a throw. The right handed first baseman lunged towards right for the throw from third and caught it just above his shoulders. He windmilled his arm backwards and caught the B/R squarely in the face a half step past the bag. B/R went down in a heap, covered in blood from a broken nose. After the player was removed, his HC wanted to know if his new base runner was going to get 2nd. He did not since there was no OBS. The HC smiled, knowing that he had tried, as he walked away.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Sure there is. On this ground ball play, the runner will be almost always running through the base, not looking to go to second. On a wide throw (as opposed to an inside throw), the fielder may be taken into a place where his momentum causes a collison with B/R after he has gained the base safely. The latter was not impeded on a ball that is caught. As has been suggested, if the throw had sailed high and wide (or skipped by), and the runner would have likely had an opportunity to advance, you could have OBS.

I once had a play involving just such a throw. The right handed first baseman lunged towards right for the throw from third and caught it just above his shoulders. He windmilled his arm backwards and caught the B/R squarely in the face a half step past the bag. B/R went down in a heap, covered in blood from a broken nose. After the player was removed, his HC wanted to know if his new base runner was going to get 2nd. He did not since there was no OBS. The HC smiled, knowing that he had tried, as he walked away.
You're ALWAYS looking to go to second - if you're doing it properly.

When running through the base you look to the right to see if the ball got past F3 or to pick up a "go" from the 1B coach.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Was F3 in position to field the wide throw or was he "chasing" after it? If he was in position, nothing. If he was chasing, OBS.

Again, not enough info.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
You're ALWAYS looking to go to second - if you're doing it properly.

When running through the base you look to the right to see if the ball got past F3 or to pick up a "go" from the 1B coach.
Okay Rich, we will A2D.

On this particular play, the collision will undoubtedly take place almost immediately after the the base has been touched - we are talking a half step, step or two at most. I have never seen a B/R make a step towards second on such a play. On routine ground balls to the infield the runner is almost always hightailing it down and through, careful to not turn right. I don't work ball below the varsity level so I've never seen it. The play you described may happen at younger levels. If so, those umpires can now know what to do.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay Rich, we will A2D.

On this particular play, the collision will undoubtedly take place almost immediately after the the base has been touched - we are talking a half step, step or two at most. I have never seen a B/R make a step towards second on such a play. On routine ground balls to the infield the runner is almost always hightailing it down and through, careful to not turn right. I don't work ball below the varsity level so I've never seen it. The play you described may happen at younger levels. If so, those umpires can now know what to do.
I didn't say they do step. Not at all. Ever. What I said is that you always look for the opportunity.

BECAUSE: What if the ball had gone down the RF line - you have to be ready to go.

So what then if getting knocked down impeded the runners ability to go to 2B. Then what?

Next time you're at a game and not umping watch the runners.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay Rich, we will A2D.

On this particular play, the collision will undoubtedly take place almost immediately after the the base has been touched - we are talking a half step, step or two at most. I have never seen a B/R make a step towards second on such a play. On routine ground balls to the infield the runner is almost always hightailing it down and through, careful to not turn right.
What? Why?

Quote:
I don't work ball below the varsity level so I've never seen it. The play you described may happen at younger levels. If so, those umpires can now know what to do.
I think the missing piece here is whether F3 caught the ball. If she did, then the ruling makes sense - if not, we have OBS either way.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 08:10am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
I think the missing piece here is whether F3 caught the ball. If she did, then the ruling makes sense - if not, we have OBS either way.
The CB ruling says "prior to possessing the ball". That indicates (at least to me) that F3 does eventually catch the throw.