The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 04, 2012, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
2012 brd

I submitted the manuscript to Amazon, it was accepted, and the book will be listed for sale within 5 to 7 business days. Same deal as last year.

On the plus side:

396 pages, alphabetical index, citation index, list of OFF INTERPs

You'll find more than 60 new NCAA official interpretations from Jim Paronto, rules interpreter for the NCAA.

Jaksa/Roder authoritative opinion has been replaced by the Wendelstedt Umpire School manual, which contains 400 plays an official interpretations. Hunter asked the BRD to highlight his interps, and we were happy to comply. An official interp from a major league umpire alweays trumps opinion!

The NFHS Website case book plays are in the BRD though they have not been published yet.

Complete explanation of all NFHS rule changes for 2012.

NAIA changed from an OBR base to an NCAA base. The BRD has all the modifications and exceptions.

My guarantee as always: Buy the book. If you don't thinkl it's worth the money, let me know. I'll refund your purchase price ... and you can keep the book!

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you purchased the 2011 BRD in January, email me a copy of your sales slip and I will send you the 2012 book for $10 plus shipping.

Here's a new section this year:

404 PITCHER: STOPS IN: WINDUP POSITION

FED: The pitcher may not pause in the windup position once he has moved any part of his body such as he habitually uses in his delivery.
(6-2-4d) PENALTY: Balk. (6-2-4; Website #20, 2011)

Note 400: The FED OFF INTERP simply affirmed that the rule had not changed in spite of what people see on television. Once the pitcher begins his delivery, "he must continue his motion without interruption or alteration." Compare NCAA : The pitcher must continue his motion "without interruption or alteration." (9-1a) They harmonize. Or so it seems. But ....

NCAA: A pitcher may pause during his delivery from the windup position without penalty. (9-1a AR 2)

Note 401: The rationale for the change explained that in "some parts of the country" when the pitcher paused during the windup, umpires were calling a balk. Interesting, for those were the umpires enforcing the rule: "From this [windup] position, any natural movement associated with the delivery of the ball to the batter commits the pitcher to pitch without interruption or alteration." (9-1a) But, as the Jersey boys say: "Fuhgeddaboudit!"

OBR: Same as NCAA 9-1a AR 2. (8.01a)

OFF INTERP 348-404: WENDELSTEDT: A brief pause in the windup "is not enough to be considered a ‘start and stop.'" (P150/130)

Note 402:Before you ignore the brief "start and stop" move in any OBR league, check with your umpire-in-chief to see whether officials want to allow the "Japanese pause."
-----------

Tell your friends and colleagues about the BRD. Its yearly sales make it possible to keep up this unique book.

Last edited by Carl Childress; Sat Feb 04, 2012 at 10:43pm. Reason: errors
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Carl,

How much would shipping be for the book and how much will the book cost at Amazon?
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childress View Post
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you purchased the 2011 BRD in January, email me a copy of your sales slip and I will send you the 2012 book for $10 plus shipping.
Carl, just sent this receipt, how do we handle payment for this?
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 10:32pm
Stop staring at me swan.

paypal him $10
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
paypal him $10
Plus shipping.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Smile pay for 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Carl, just sent this receipt, how do we handle payment for this?
Jim: The offer for a greatly reduced price for the 2012 BRD is offered only to those few (18, I think) who bought the 2011 BRD in JANJUARY 2012.

Listen, you were one of the first five to get the book back in February. How am I going to keep Mama's Kindle Fire in apps and books unless I make a little extra dough.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Carl,

How much would shipping be for the book and how much will the book cost at Amazon?
Amazon has a list price of $34.95, but they always knock that down some as we move through the year. I have nothing to do with that, but I look for a sale price of $27 or so. As long as the book price is above $25 or you order $25 worth of merchandise, the BRD is eligible for free shipping.

It's one reason I was so eager to get the book finished early since the standard shipping takes 4 to 5 days.

I know this for sure: Amazon is an amazing comparny. I ordered 5 books on Saturday aafternoon, 2/4, and they informed me the books were shipped this morning, Sunday, 2/5. On SuperBowl weekend, if you can believe it!
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 12:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Amazon has a list price of $34.95, but they always knock that down some as we move through the year. I have nothing to do with that, but I look for a sale price of $27 or so. As long as the book price is above $25 or you order $25 worth of merchandise, the BRD is eligible for free shipping.

It's one reason I was so eager to get the book finished early since the standard shipping takes 4 to 5 days.

I know this for sure: Amazon is an amazing comparny. I ordered 5 books on Saturday aafternoon, 2/4, and they informed me the books were shipped this morning, Sunday, 2/5. On SuperBowl weekend, if you can believe it!
If you have Amazon Prime, it's free at any price -- at least it was last season.

It's on my list, as always. Even more important for me now that I've ended my self-imposed exile from NCAA baseball.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
If you have Amazon Prime, it's free at any price -- at least it was last season.
Same here. Had prime for two years now. First year was free, and I didn't hesitate a second to extend it.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Jim: The offer for a greatly reduced price for the 2012 BRD is offered only to those few (18, I think) who bought the 2011 BRD in JANJUARY 2012.

Listen, you were one of the first five to get the book back in February. How am I going to keep Mama's Kindle Fire in apps and books unless I make a little extra dough.
If I read the book like I read the statement, I will probably not learn anything. duh My bad.

Thanks for the reply and for certain, I don't want to p__s off Mama.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 10:55am

PDF version this year?

Hey Carl, will there be a pdf to the 2012 edition? Worked very well w/the iPad...thanks...
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 10:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Same here. Had prime for two years now. First year was free, and I didn't hesitate a second to extend it.
In March, I will renew Prime again -- it will be my 8th year with it.

I love that I can order anything Prime -- even a $6 item -- and it is shipped 2nd day for free. And those second day items frequently show up next day.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren0901 View Post
Hey Carl, will there be a pdf to the 2012 edition? Worked very well w/the iPad...thanks...
Yes, there will be an EBRD (PDF file with hot links on the cross references).

As it was last year, it's $15 plus a copy of the sales receipt for the 2012 printed copy.

Everybody who bought one last year was raving about how easy it was to navigate through all the sections.

Last edited by Carl Childress; Tue Feb 07, 2012 at 11:55pm.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just ordered the 2012 Edition on Amazon.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 12:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

As did I and I sent the $15 to Carl, as well. It's a necessary book that I think will be improved with Wendelstedt replacing J/R as AO.