Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Re: Got me

Quote:
Originally posted by CDcoach
Ok you are correct. Thank you for the correction.

Now for a question.

What exactly is a feint? Meaning that he turned his shoulder in a fake to get the runner to go back?

A quick snap to lead the runner to believe a throw is coming

I stand corrected...learned something new. The shoulder turning was pretty jerky or I didn't call it. Correct?
you are working 9-10's, they will come set and look with thier head towards first, most, if not all, will turn some shoulder also...let that go. Now, at the very end of 8.05, there is a shaded area. Basically it states that "intent to decieve" shall govern. These little guys have minimul grasp of the mechanics of pitching, I will always nail the failure to come set(by far the most common)but the herky-jerky-still figuring it out mechanical issues....let em know(as well as the coach) between innings. Nobody wants a walk-a-thon or balk-a-thon(especially when the runner doesn't even know what is going on)JMHO
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Just a touch of philosophy here.
When working with youth (sub high school) as a coach, I wanted the ump to come to me with the problems. That way I could correct the players and they would understand what to do. I.E. not coming to a discernable stop in the stretch. Tell me what you see is wrong, then I can tell the kid "When you come set, puff some air out before throwing". That way the problem is fixed and I don't have the ump coaching my kids.
Working as a blue I was the same way. Spot the problem, let the coach know, coach fixes, we keep playing. As a blue, I don't know what terminology the coach is using with his kids and I could spend precious playing time trying to fix a minor problem. If I let the coach know between innings, he gets to fix it on his time without delaying the game.

Still have lots of problems with youth umps as many of them do not know their rules & interpretations and have shown very litle interest in learning. Wish those guys would learn to come to boards like this so they would be better.
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 02:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Not my first option.

Quote:
Originally posted by woolnojg
When working with youth (sub high school) as a coach, I wanted the ump to come to me with the problems.
I disagree with you point of view on this. I do not think an umpire should come to a coach all the time. Reason being, because if a player does something really obvious, it is going to have to be called. If it is boarderline, I can use the catcher as the UIC or tell the pitcher myself when I am on the bases. Because the problem with telling the coach, the other coach might be complaining before we have a chance to say anything to you. It might need to be addressed immidiately and telling you will only complicate things. And depending on how much of an a$$ that coach has been during that game or previous situations, coming to a coach just might be adding fuel to a already big fire. As an umpire I might have an argument on my hands by just addressing you. So if I have a situation where I can say something and no one knows I even address an issue, that is a win, win for me. And please do not take this as we should never address a coach on situations like this, but I will admit that is not my first option.

I also have the same philosophy in the other sports I do. It would be to obvious in a football game to tell a coach that "#77 is holding." Because if he is holding, the other coach wants you to call it. So if you have a situation that is boarderline, I have no problem with an umpire or official telling a kid they are coming close to that line.

Peace
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe combine it?

What I like to do...and the reason I do it is because a lot of my favorite umpires have done it while I was coaching...wait until between innings and hold the pitcher on the mound and pull a coach out to the mound, then tell the player what he did wrong that way the player and the coach can talk it out with a pitcher plate to demonstrate on. Normally took about 30-45 seconds and didn't delay much. Worked really well.

Any reasons this is a bad thing?
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Apples and Oranges....RUT

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by woolnojg
When working with youth (sub high school) as a coach, I wanted the ump to come to me with the problems.
I disagree with you point of view on this. I do not think an umpire should come to a coach all the time. Reason being, because if a player does something really obvious, it is going to have to be called. If it is boarderline, I can use the catcher as the UIC or tell the pitcher myself when I am on the bases. Because the problem with telling the coach, the other coach might be complaining before we have a chance to say anything to you. It might need to be addressed immidiately and telling you will only complicate things. And depending on how much of an a$$ that coach has been during that game or previous situations, coming to a coach just might be adding fuel to a already big fire. As an umpire I might have an argument on my hands by just addressing you. So if I have a situation where I can say something and no one knows I even address an issue, that is a win, win for me. And please do not take this as we should never address a coach on situations like this, but I will admit that is not my first option.

I also have the same philosophy in the other sports I do. It would be to obvious in a football game to tell a coach that "#77 is holding." Because if he is holding, the other coach wants you to call it. So if you have a situation that is boarderline, I have no problem with an umpire or official telling a kid they are coming close to that line.

Peace

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
I work Football as well, holding is MUCH more different than a F1 not understanding the technos of pitching mechanics....flag em!!!!! Remember, linemen don't have to keep a foot on the rubber....LOL