The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Federation Rules
Pitcher is in the (set) position and has completed the stop(set) with his pivot foot on the Pitching Plate.
He then steps towards third with his non-pivot foot and feints then turns and steps toward first base and feints.
Federation rule 6 Art 3 states that "During these preliminary motions and during the set position until a delivery motion occurs, the pitcher may turn on his pivot foot or lift it in a jump turn to step with the non-pivot foot towards a base while throwing or feinting as outlined in 6-2-4..."
In (6-2-4,a) says Balk. If there is a runner or runners while he is touching the pitchers plate and any feinting towards the batter or first base.
Manager says Rich Sutcliff did all the time and this move is not a Balk.
I'm a five year Softball umpire and this is my first year in baseball. I feel unsure on the the Balk rules and I'm looking for clarification.
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by collinb
Federation Rules
Pitcher is in the (set) position and has completed the stop(set) with his pivot foot on the Pitching Plate.
He then steps towards third with his non-pivot foot and feints then turns and steps toward first base and feints.
If the pitcher was still on the rubber after his feint to third, then it's a balk to feint to first.

99.9999% of the time, the pitcher comes off the rubber during the feint to third; in this case it's legal to feint to first.

See 6.2.4C

I'll add that both those statements are tru in all codes.

In FED, the pitcher can throw (not feint) to first if he styas on the rubber after the feint to third. In OBR and NCAA, it's a balk to feitn *or* throw to first after the feint to third (if the pitcher stays on the rubber).

Old Mon May 26, 2003, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

To add to what Bob said, under all rules arm motion by the pitcher is not required for the move to 3B to be considered a feint. The legal step to the base is, in itself, considered a feint since the pitcher may no longer deliver a pitch.

Freix