The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 04, 2003, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Question

If a fielder catches a pop fly ball and runs into a non-playable area (i.e. an opening not enclosed by a fence), is the base runner awarded a base??? A coach once mentioned during the ground rules discussion that a player may catch a fly ball and run into a non-playable area. This would result in a out for the batter. However, the player must run back into a playable area to make a throw towards a base. Both coaches agreed to this ground rule and we played with this rule for two games. However, I have always been told that a fielder may not catch a fly ball and run into a non-playable area. If this occurred, the base runner(s) each get one base for the infraction. I thought I would consult this board for advice and the proper ruling.
Old Sun May 04, 2003, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by manhong
If a fielder catches a pop fly ball and runs into a non-playable area (i.e. an opening not enclosed by a fence), is the base runner awarded a base??? A coach once mentioned during the ground rules discussion that a player may catch a fly ball and run into a non-playable area. This would result in a out for the batter. However, the player must run back into a playable area to make a throw towards a base. Both coaches agreed to this ground rule and we played with this rule for two games. However, I have always been told that a fielder may not catch a fly ball and run into a non-playable area. If this occurred, the base runner(s) each get one base for the infraction. I thought I would consult this board for advice and the proper ruling.
It depends on the rules code in effect.

The rules the coaches agreed to are NCAA rules (although they also could agree to allow a throw from DBT).

The rules you thought to use are FED rules.

OBR would allow a throw from DBT -- but many (most?) youth groups don't allow this.