The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 24, 2003, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Then somebody better get the word out to the 200 some odd umpires that I know! lol

Old Thu Apr 24, 2003, 02:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Those umpires make it difficult for those of us that know the rules and know what their intent is.

Just because something looks "different" or "weird" does not make it a balk.

He delivered legally, as defined in 8.01 (windup position).

Rich
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

You wouldn't want to bet me...would you? lol

All I'm saying, is I have been to several clinics where the instructor/clinician has described this play, and it has been a BALK!

I'm not saying they are right, because obviously by rule, they have not been.

I would just like to mention, I have known 20 yr. officials that know every rule and interpretation of the rule, but on the court and on the field, you would think it was their 1st game.

Rich said:

Those umpires make it difficult for those of us that know the rules and know what their intent is.

OK, Lord of the Umps!
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
You wouldn't want to bet me...would you? lol

All I'm saying, is I have been to several clinics where the instructor/clinician has described this play, and it has been a BALK!

I'd guess that they (or at least some of them) described a *slightly* different play that made it a balk -- F1 didn't step before throwing to the plate, or F1 stepped toward third and threw to home, or F1 was in the set position and didn't pause before throwing home, or F1 "double clutched" before throwing home, or ...

Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Nope, Bob, same situation.

I did it standing in my living room and started laughing! If that's not a Quick Pitch, what is?

Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee

[snip]

If that's not a Quick Pitch, what is?
I doubt if you can get your money back from these clinicians, but I'd suggest switching clinics in the future. Delivery motions from the same stance can vary throughout the game provided they do not violate other pitching rules.

A quick pitch is one delivered when the batter is not yet reasonably set in the batter's box. There was nothing provided stating the batter was not set in the box. If set in the box, the mere act of delivering in a new, faster motion that takes less time or less motion is not a quick pitch. It's merely a different delivery motion.

Freix

Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

"If set in the box, the mere act of delivering in a new, faster motion that takes less time or less motion is not a quick pitch. It's merely a different delivery motion.

...and a LEGAL deceptive move as opposed to an ILLEGAL deceptive move.

Pitchers are allowed to attempt to deceive, if done legally. Altering the rhythm and tempo are among the most common.

No amount of stories about clinics, 200 umpires or endless LOL's at the end of posts will change the facts.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

It wasn't that long ago

All this talk about 20 year umps and stuff makes me feel old.

We should all remember the Tommy Johns and Jim Kaats of the world. They were able to extend their career several years with the one step delivery.

Undoubtably it was much better on the arm because they did it for several years at the end of their careers.

I'm sure there were others but they are two that come to mind who were quite noteworthy.

To the umpires that called the balks, please show me the rule that says this is contrary. I don't see it in FED, OBR, or NAPBL etc, they all say the same things as stated above.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Had a coach come popping off about a kid that didn't "stretch" before pitching outa the set. Kid engaged rubber with hands feet clearly stopped, then pitched. Told him to look up "may" in the webster, then read the pitching positions. Boy, this thread has been beaten!!
Old Sat Apr 26, 2003, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s
Had a coach come popping off about a kid that didn't "stretch" before pitching outa the set. Kid engaged rubber with hands feet clearly stopped, then pitched. Told him to look up "may" in the webster, then read the pitching positions. Boy, this thread has been beaten!!
I'm not sure what you are saying, Chris.
If in set stance he must have hands split to take signs.
Then he must bring hands together in front of his body and come to a complete stop. He cannot legally step and pitch from the hands separated position. He can avoid the "stretch" by merely bringing his hands together without "stretching" upward above his setting point and then lowering into the set.

Freix