The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone call this?

FED 7-2-1 says a batter shall have one foot in the batter's box during his AB and then lists exceptions when it is OK to leave the box.

In a recent game, in between innings, I had a coach question why I didn't call a strike on a batter who stepped out with both feet to verify his sign. Pitcher was taking his sign in the stretch and was not yet ready to deliver and time was not requested by the batter. I told the batter to get back in the box which he did. Total time was 5 or 6 seconds. Pitch was delivered and the game went on.

I keep after batters so it's been a long time since I called a strike on a batter for delay of game but those cases were obvious and not a technical interpretation of this rule.

Appreciate any comments.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Batter can just as well keep one foot in the box with the other foot out while turning to 3rd base coach and still get the sign.

If none of the acceptable conditions forced him out of the box then a strike should have been called.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ohiogray
Batter can just as well keep one foot in the box with the other foot out while turning to 3rd base coach and still get the sign.

If none of the acceptable conditions forced him out of the box then a strike should have been called.
That was the rule until a few years ago -- then they added the words "delays the game" to 7-3-1 Penalty.

See 7.3.1D, 7.3.1F, 7.3.1G, 7.3.1I, 7.3.1K

I agree that there are cases that seem to show the opposite - -I think these are left over from the rules change and didn't get corrected.

Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

When this rule was implemented (I'm guessing but probably about 6 years ago) it was intended that a strike be called on a batter that was trying to show-up an umpire or vent his frustration over a call. Another purpose was to keep the game going and not allow long wandering around, swing-the-bat-a-few-times delays.

I rarely call it because I don't allow the long delays - I regularly remind batters to keep a foot in the box. I would, and do, adamantly call the violation when the batter is venting anger or trying to show his objection to my call.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
I cannot picture, under the current FED rule, calling a strike in any of the situations listed in this post.

Some of us take care of game managment issues before they become an issue.

Tee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~`
I must agree, Tee. I just use a quick, " get in the box, BATTER!!" One I love touse, F1 has taken his 5, he's ready. Batter has one foot in box and third base coach is yakking to another coach. I tell batter to get in, he states, "I'm waiting for sign" I sez, "see ball, hit ball! GET IN" Works every time(and usually wakes up coaches.........)
Old Mon Apr 21, 2003, 05:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Talking

love it Chris. Have to remember that one. The one that burns me is batter calling for time. Goes and talks to his coach, then comes back to the box and looks at the coach again for a sign. In a heartbeat I give him a get in the box.
I have not called a strike in this situation yet but I also have not had a problem when I tell the batter to get into the box.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2003, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
love it Chris. Have to remember that one. The one that burns me is batter calling for time. Goes and talks to his coach, then comes back to the box and looks at the coach again for a sign. In a heartbeat I give him a get in the box.
I have not called a strike in this situation yet but I also have not had a problem when I tell the batter to get into the box.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~`
Ya know, that one you mentioned drives me nuts also! We got one we're using for our PONY leagues, if batter does not keep one foot in box between pitches, call strike every 3 seconds.....YEAH sure!!!!I like fast games as much as the next guy, butcalling penalty strikes does not usually get you a smooth game. Over 30 game bout 6 or 7 years ago, batter is nowhere to be found, I ask who's next? One of the bench players points to thier catcher, he's in shinguards pissing behind the dugout, screw the 20 seconds, I directed F1 to pitch, 3 in about 30 seconds, rang up batter. Ended up ejecting catcher and he got himself tossed for the final 5 or so games by league due to his subsequent actions. I avoit that stuff now.....AH, the good ol "maverick" days.......LOL