The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Beef part 2

That's right Bob, the ball was not caught. The infield umpire called 2nd and 3rd out. One for the batter, and one for the runner. At the time I assumed that the runner at first had been tagged. I was so concerned with whether the home plate umpire had called the infield fly, and getting the runner from second into score, that I was not sure why the third out was called. I was so caught up up in the call that I didn't question the 3rd out. It wasn't until last night that I had a chance to find out that the runner at first was standing on the bag at the time of the out call. That the out was called from the throw to second. Both runners were on the 1st and 3rd bags, there shouldn't have been 3rd out called should there.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

This situation seemed to be a collection of errors on everyone's part. Im am not defending the obvious errors of the officials for that contest however, I hope they learned from what seems to be a judgement and mechanic error.

Having said that, wether the officials had or had not announced the "Infield Fly", (and pointed one of their limbs, right/left, to the sky or somewhere), it is the responsibilty of the offense and/or defense to be aware of an infield fly situation.

Had this been a pop-up that was caught with reasonable effort, the fact that it was, or was not announced by the officials, had no bearing on the outcome. Batterrunner is out. Remember, just because the officials don't announce "Infield Fly", it still happens and is ineffect, and your runners are at their own risk.

Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

jicecone,
I am understanding you correctly? Are saying that anytime there is a ball hit over the second baseman's head that looks like the ball will NOT be caught, that "infield fly" should just be assumed? Maybe if you are conservative. If I see a player will have to try to make an unbelievable play on the ball, the only thing I am assuming is that he won't make it. Since the ball was dropped, and both of the runners, were standing on 1st and 3rd at the end of the play, the only one that should be out is the batter. Again the 3rd out was called from the fielding team stepping on the 2nd base bag.
From what I am understanding from all the responses (as confusing as this story, and play was)ithink I have a legitimate beef.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

I fully agree, things were not handled correctly and you do have a beef.

I was pointing something out that was not previously mentioned because, there are some people that feel that if the umpire does not declare an infield fly, then it does'nt happen. Which is contrary to the rules and interpretation of baseball.

As far as an officials abilty to discern when to declare or not to declare an infield fly, well I have disagreements with fellow officials on that also. Thats were judgement comes in. This judgement gets better as the official becomes more experienced. And after almost 20 years I can personnaly tell you that I am still working on refining my judgement to make better decisions on the field.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

I can fully appreciate that. That is a good reason why this is the greatest game on earth. The umpires are still permitted to make a call on there judgement. There is no instant replay. (Thank God). Everyone has a job to do. These were very experienced umpires. However, like I mentioned before, it was only the second game of the year. Coaches, players, and umpires have to get back to playing form. I am not knocking the umpires at all. I have played ball for over 18 years as a player, and am understanding what it is like outside the lines.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2003, 08:56am
Veteran College Umpire

For call from the umpire should never be to blame for the outcome of the game.

IMHO, even if the final play of the game scores the final run of the game on a controversial call that I make, I am not to blame for a loss or a win by any team. It's a long game and each team has many opportunities to determine the outcome. Don't blame me for your loss - how many runners did you leave on base? Hits, walks, wild pitches, picked off, caught stealing, running through a stop sign? "That's your run, Blue!". B******T!
Thanks for the vent, barkeep...
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Vent?

For the record JJ,
I told my team after the game, that umpires do not dictate the game. If we would have scored 7 runs, the call wouldn't have made a difference. Unfortunately, the only time anyone remembers a bad call is when the game is on the line. No notices a bad call in a blow out. No one is bashing umpires in this thread.