The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 06, 2011, 08:58am
Administrator

Don't You Just Hate It When This Happens?

I read this article on Yahoo today:

Gulp: Napoli says he swallowed tobacco during crash at plate - Big League Stew - MLBBlog - Yahoo! Sports

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Oct 06, 2011, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

As the song goes, two for the price of one:

Long ago, I worked with a tobacco chewing guy I really respected and still admire. He had perfected the juice squirt through his front teeth and out the mask. He would turn his head and the few feet of grass behind him were always brown, though not from a lack of water. He took heat from HCs and groundscrew for years but didn't stop until he was diagnosed with tongue cancer.

I remember when the NFHS rule prohibiting tobacco and tobacco like substances was first introduced. It was a while ago and it wasn't long before an umpire dumped a kid who had a pack of Big League Chew in his pocket. The umpire claimed it was shredded and packaged like the real stuff and fit the letter of the rule. I still find it funny that bubble gum was this umpire's kryptonite.
Old Thu Oct 06, 2011, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
I remember when the NFHS rule prohibiting tobacco and tobacco like substances was first introduced. It was a while ago and it wasn't long before an umpire dumped a kid who had a pack of Big League Chew in his pocket. The umpire claimed it was shredded and packaged like the real stuff and fit the letter of the rule. I still find it funny that bubble gum was this umpire's kryptonite.
Big League Chew is illegal. It comes in a pouch, is shredded, and even has the word "chew" in its name; obviously it is a tobacco like substance. The guy is just following the rules as written.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Big League Chew is illegal. It comes in a pouch, is shredded, and even has the word "chew" in its name; obviously it is a tobacco like substance. The guy is just following the rules as written.
I hope you're joking, or you're not sure what Mike was talking about.

Funny thing, Mike, I had a partner try to run a kid for having a can of shredded beef jerky in his back pocket that looked like a can of Skoal.

Tim.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post

Funny thing, Mike, I had a partner try to run a kid for having a can of shredded beef jerky in his back pocket that looked like a can of Skoal.

Tim.
I seem to recall a FED case from 15 or so years ago that indicated that FED wanted this call made.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Tim.
Not a joke - neither by written rule nor by what FED has specifically stated. Your 2nd sentence - same thing.

Personally, I might fail to notice such a thing - but I'm certainly not going to jump on or joke about an umpire who did notice and did what we're told to do.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Not a joke - neither by written rule nor by what FED has specifically stated. Your 2nd sentence - same thing.

Personally, I might fail to notice such a thing - but I'm certainly not going to jump on or joke about an umpire who did notice and did what we're told to do.
I haven't heard this in Indiana, Mike. I'm not surprised at FED making such an anal rule, but I don't recall reading anything about bubble gum or beef jerky. I fail to see how shredded bubble gum or beef jerky are tobacco like substances. I thought the intent was to exclude tobacco like mint or herbal chew.

I apologize to Cobra.

Are there similar restrictions on bubble gum cigars and candy cigarettes?

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Fri Oct 07, 2011 at 08:42am.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I haven't heard this in Indiana, Mike. I'm not surprised at FED making such an anal rule, but I don't recall reading anything about bubble gum or beef jerky. I fail to see how shredded bubble gum or beef jerky are tobacco like substances. I thought the intent was to exclude tobacco like mint or herbal chew.

I apologize to Cobra.

Tim.
There might be.

I'm pretty sure NCAA has a ban on the "tin in the pocket" -- that would apply to your beef jerky situation.

that is, it's not only the use that's banned, it's showing something that some fan might interpret at evidence of use.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I apologize to Cobra.

Tim.
You cant use anything that looks like tobacco.

There is a case play (or at least used to be) where the umpire saw players using tobacco, he goes over and it turns out they are just using something that looks like tobacco and they are ejected. Shredded gum out of a pouch or a tin or jerky are made to look like tobacco
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
There might be.

I'm pretty sure NCAA has a ban on the "tin in the pocket" -- that would apply to your beef jerky situation.

that is, it's not only the use that's banned, it's showing something that some fan might interpret at evidence of use.
I guess I can see some reasoning behind it. That doesn't mean that I agree with it though. And I say this because the "can" dispensor/container is used now for many things other than tobacco products. My wife even uses a breath mint that comes in a similar container, and I've seen my boys with bubble gum in containters that have the same shape and size as a Kodiak or Skoal can.

Tim.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
You cant use anything that looks like tobacco.

There is a case play (or at least used to be) where the umpire saw players using tobacco, he goes over and it turns out they are just using something that looks like tobacco and they are ejected. Shredded gum out of a pouch or a tin or jerky are made to look like tobacco
I get that, I really do. But I guess I don't see how bright pink shredded bubble gum can in any way be confused with tobacco. I'm thinking the intent is to eliminate the use of mint and herbal products that DO appear to be a tobacco product.

Tim.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

I asked one our state rules interpreters for the 'pouch of gum' line. He said that when the rule first was introduced, there was no wriggle room. If you saw a pouch in a pocket and it held shredded stuff that goes in one's mouth, dump him. Since then, the stance has allowed logic to dictate procedure. Pink bubble gum is not a tobacco like substance. It may be shredded into long pieces but that does not make it illegal. The container is not the issue either. Seeds come in pouches too and the thought of dumping a kid solely because he has a pouch in his pocket bothers me. I believe that HS rule 3-1p says nothing about a pouch or tin but does focus on the product inside. Bubble gum is candy, at least that's what my dentist says.

I was assigned 3U for an NJCAA Regional almost two decades ago. The catcher for the home team was a stud who used Bandits (don't know if they make them any more). At the start of the second inning, the opposing coach comes out and asks the PU to check the catcher. At the time, the rule only applied to post season play. The PU had never encountered it before and we actually had to go get the NCAA book from my trunk to verify that the rule would be enforced during tournament play that year. It was ugly then but I'm glad to see that players and coaches are smarter. My old partner with the tongue cancer would tell them the same.

I am editing my original post - the above was original - due to a PM I received. To that member, no, you are incorrect. I feel no need to use your screen name here and cause a firestorm of PMs again. You were mistaken and the link below will illustrate why.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/NCAANewsArch...-+5-26-03.html

Near the bottom, you will see that the original directive from the NCAA discusses the need to employ logic in applying this rule. Of note are the following sentences:
Quote:
For example: An umpire sees a player with a tobacco tin in his back pocket. What is the course of action?

The committee decided that use of tobacco and the appearance of tobacco is the same thing. In that case, the student-athlete would be ejected from the contest, provided the can was, in fact, tobacco (some bubble-gum companies have products that strongly resemble tobacco cans).
Tobacco is actually outlawed in NCAA by-laws but was rarely enforced in regular season baseball until 2003. The Rules Committee was so adamant about enforcing this rule that they penalized the possession of tobacco the same way as using it. Further, they cite that bubble gum is not the issue.

In MLB, Brett Butler almost lost his life to oral cancer. He chewed since his HS days and the stories he tells are pretty gross. In an ESPN interview I once saw, he told of how his lower gums were worn away to the point where he could see the roots of his teeth. He had to have a cadaver graft of tissue to close it up after his chemo. You'd think that he'd agree that tobacco should be banned from MLB like it is in MiLB. Nope, he says it is personal choice and against any king of penalty for using it. Wow.

Last edited by MikeStrybel; Fri Oct 07, 2011 at 04:08pm.
Old Sat Oct 08, 2011, 04:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
You'd think that he'd agree that tobacco should be banned from MLB like it is in MiLB.
Not to argue the point, but do you think we should outlaw driving because someone was driving recklessly and died?
Old Sat Oct 08, 2011, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Not to argue the point, but do you think we should outlaw driving because someone was driving recklessly and died?
The reason I don't care for seeing it used on an MLB field is due to the message I think it sends to young kids. They see their MLB hero's usng spit tobacco, and they want to be just like them. I know that a strong parallel can be drawn between this and violent movies and video games. I don't really care for those being shown to very young kids either. This is my personal opinion that I don't like it. My sensibilities about personal freedoms won't allow me to lobby to remove spit tobacco use from professional baseball. That doesn't mean I think it should be abolished in MLB. Truth is, the guy two rows in front of Jr. that gets so hammered during the game that he can barely make it out of the stadium upright, sends just as powerful a message.

Tim.
Old Sat Oct 08, 2011, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The reason I don't care for seeing it used on an MLB field is due to the message I think it sends to young kids.

Don't limit it to the kids. Adult umpires emulate the MLB guys, too. If Gerry Davis were spitting Redman on the field, how many of you would have that pouch in your left ball bag? I mean, how else do you explain $355 for a fake Nike mask?