The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire forgets count - and phone's a friend

Umpire Gary Cederstrom forgets the count, and then goes to the phone to ask for help. I actually applaud him for getting help, but my few questions are this:

Why didn't he ask the other umpires first, see if they might know?

Does it look like he tried to replay the sequence through his head first? He didn't appear to wait more than 5 or 10 seconds before going to get help.

Here's a link to an article that is more nice about the situation. You can search for plenty where they are really not so nice to Gary!

An MLB Umpire Forgot The Count Last Night And Held The Game Up By Making A Phone Call (Video)
Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

The separation between the professionals and us is becoming smaller every season. I will say no more about this.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder what catcher said. Catcher and batter generally know the count and can replay the pitches.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I wonder what catcher said. Catcher and batter generally know the count and can replay the pitches.
You'd listen to them? Gee. And here I thought the players were all lying rats.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

If catcher AND batter agree on the count, and it's within one of yours, AND you forgot, well, maybe they'd be right..
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Gee. And here I thought the players were all lying rats.
Mainly when they're following a coach's lead.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treydawgmt View Post
Umpire Gary Cederstrom forgets the count, and then goes to the phone to ask for help. I actually applaud him for getting help, but my few questions are this:

Why didn't he ask the other umpires first, see if they might know?

Does it look like he tried to replay the sequence through his head first? He didn't appear to wait more than 5 or 10 seconds before going to get help.

Here's a link to an article that is more nice about the situation. You can search for plenty where they are really not so nice to Gary!

An MLB Umpire Forgot The Count Last Night And Held The Game Up By Making A Phone Call (Video)
Why did n't you go ask him first before you came on here?

Did he get it right?

Do you have a life?

Stayed tuned for these answers and more , right after the commerical.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

It is pretty funny that GC didn't go to his partners for the count help. The MLB official scorer should have ended any doubt. I won't feel so bad when I forget to roll a ball or strike on my indicator late in a sleeper next season.

As an aside, I'm not a HSM fan but the bar configuration on his mask is pretty interesting. The design of the bars at the top seems to defeat the idea that a ball will glance off the curved surface of the dome. I'm sure we'll see amateurs wearing simialr models soon enough, if they aren't already.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Do we know where that phone was connected to?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Heh, Heh..... do we really care?
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
It looked like his first call was from a dugout phone which should have standard wiring such as to the bullpen and press box/official scorer. Then it looked like he went to the tabernacle where the holy rite of instant replay is performed where the high priest in the master control booth in NYC can be summoned. There is a good chance that this was the first time IR was used to get a correct count. Imagine if he called a crew conference and they still couldn't come up with a consensus?

http://m.wired.com/science/discoveri.../2006/06/71139
Wrigley Field went wireless in 2006 for bullpen phones. There may come a day when they stick a Bluetooth in the hockey helmet for expanded replay.

Last edited by Larry1953; Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 08:21pm.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1953 View Post
It looked like his first call was from a dugout phone which should have standard wiring such as to the bullpen and press box/official scorer. Then it looked like he went to the tabernacle where the holy rite of instant replay is performed where the high priest in the master control booth in NYC can be summoned. There is a good chance that this was the first time IR was used to get a correct count. Imagine if he called a crew conference and they still couldn't come up with a consensus?

Wrigley Field Dugouts Go Wireless
Wrigley Field went wireless in 2006 for bullpen phones. There may come a day when they stick a Bluetooth in the hockey helmet for expanded replay.
Where is it said that he used instant replay? He got the info from the official scorer then went and got his indicator.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
Where is it said that he used instant replay? He got the info from the official scorer then went and got his indicator.
None of the reports said exactly where he called. That's why I surmised we could figure it out according to standard dugout phone wiring. I also had no idea when he went down the tunnel that it was to retrieve his indicator. It seemed more likely that he went to see a replay of Dunn's at bat. Like I said, the reports were sketchy on specifics. Thanks for providing the clarification!
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1953 View Post

Wrigley Field Dugouts Go Wireless
The first sentence was semi-correct. The rest is incorrect or out-of-date.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
You'd listen to them? Gee. And here I thought the players were all lying rats.
I am guessing that PU said 2-2 after the pitch, batter disagreed, thinking 3-2. When PU turned to catcher he said something and immediately PU went to the phones, so I am guessing he said it was 2-2. As PU walked off the batter had words with the catcher.

Had the catcher agreed that it was 3-2, I don't think we have this situation.