The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Should We Get Paid?

In our area we play the varsity game first followed by the JV game. Before the start of the varsity game, we make it a habit of asking what the coaches have planned for the JV game. Some teams play three innings, some play five. A couple of weeks ago we were told that the JV game would be five innings. In the bottom of the fifth, the home team tied the game as the third out was being recorded. My partner signaled that the run counted and we started to leave the field by way of he home dugout. As we were leaving, the home coach pointed out that the game was tied. I handed him the game balls and said, "You said we were playing five innings, our night is over." He didn't put up much of a protest, but we did notice when we got to our cars, that the visiting team was in their dugout preparing to bat. We left and thought nothing about it.

When I received payment, I noticed that we had only been paid the varsity game fee. I called my partner from that night and he said he got the same check. We plan to call our assigner and let him know that we do not wish to work at this school again. We will also be calling the school and telling them that we need our money. I don't intend to stay around for extra innings when it is just a JV game.

What would everybody else do in this situation?
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 11:01am
TODO: creative title here

Play the extra innings. The JV team is entitled to a full game (however the two schools involved define a "full game") just as the varsity team is entitled to a full game.

The game fee is an issue between you, your assignor/association, and the school.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99 View Post
Apologize to the school for acting like an *** and to the assigner for causing him / her problems.

(Unless, of course, it's customary in your area to end JV games at the end of x innings, even if the game is tied.)
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 11:08am
Do not give a damn!!

This is a local standard. Yes you should be paid for the second game because you worked an official game by completing 5 innings. Now what happens to continue the game or finish the game is up to what is expected normally. I do not know why they cannot pay you for the second game. In my experience they do not pay a full game fee for the second game anyway, but they would not pay me just one game. And in my state I could file a report to get what I got for my contract. This is why I hate doing things that are not on the contract.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Get better a directive from your controling authority. Three innings isn't a game in anyone's books. If it's five, and tied, you keep playing just as you would seven. Why wouldn't you?

My son coaches JV ball, and is a pretty decent umpire himself. I can't imagine what he's do if umpires just walked off the field in a tie game. Oh wait, yes I can. Folks keep score and standings in JV, too. And sometimes coaches jobs are on line because if it. Unless you have some sort of direction to end the game because it's tied, the default would be to keep playing. I'm sure the coaches were pissed that you guys just walked off, and directed the school not to pay.

Last edited by kylejt; Wed Aug 31, 2011 at 12:19pm.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

What was so important that you had to leave and what difference does it make what level Ball it is? If you don't want to do JV, go home after the Varsity game. You signed up to umpire a game and because you didn't take the time to go over the rules or modified rules at the begining of the game is not the coaches or players fault. It was yours.

You should be paid for what you did but, it was obvious that the JV teams were well aware of your attitude twoards doing their games.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 11:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

If the varsity game had been tied after 7 innings, would you have ended the game?

Absent specific instructions to the contrary, start the sixth inning. And I agree, you seem to be treating the JV game as a glorified scrimmage. I can guarantee the coaches and players are not.

I wouldn't pay you either (again, absent specific instructions to the contrary).
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I were the AD, I woule make sure you never worked a game at my school again.

If I were you, I'd plead temporary insanity, apologize for my behavior and donate my varsity check to the JV team.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
If I were you, I'd plead temporary insanity, apologize for my behavior and donate my varsity check to the JV team.

That's a pretty good plan. I'd recommend the same. You could even throw you scheduler under the bus by saying "We were told.......". Put that in a your note, along with the donation to the school's AD.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Not Insane

The problem is that if I was temporarily insane, then I must be permanantly insane. Don't you guys realize that this is a JV GAME. Who cares that there is not a winner. We were on our way to a smooth game, when the fifth inning seemed to take forever and then they expect us to stay to watch a bunch of non-skilled kids play extra innings. I'm not doing it. And I'm going to get my money one way or another.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The problem is that if I was temporarily insane, then I must be permanantly insane. Don't you guys realize that this is a JV GAME. Who cares that there is not a winner. We were on our way to a smooth game, when the fifth inning seemed to take forever and then they expect us to stay to watch a bunch of non-skilled kids play extra innings. I'm not doing it. And I'm going to get my money one way or another.
Bet you dont, and I would imagine if your state is anything like Illinois, you will probably be reprimanded by your state association. Good luck getting any more games in your general location. You think we officials talk, coaches are like teen age girls. Unless you are pulling everyone's chain here, you my friend are a cancerous tumor on the body of officiating.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't you guys realize that this is a JV GAME. Who cares that there is not a winner.
The players, the coaches, the parents, the schools, the ADs...those who pay you.

Quote:
We were on our way to a smooth game, when the fifth inning seemed to take forever and then they expect us to stay to watch a bunch of non-skilled kids play extra innings.
No, they expect you to officiate the game, which in baseball, unless Bud Selig is around, includes extra inning if the score is tied after the scheduled regulation last inning.

Quote:
I'm not doing it. And I'm going to get my money one way or another.
Then you should find another hobby...one that pays you for not completing the accepted task appropriately.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 01:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The only issue I would have is did you not agree to the terms before the contest what was to happen? I have worked JV games where the terms were very clear they were not playing more than a few innings. But then I ask if they expect to play "extra" based on the score. Really no one here can say what you should or should not do unless they are in your area and are aware of the standards. I do agree, this was a JV game and right or wrong it means nothing. And it is not uncommon in my experience that coaches want to get out of there more than the umpires. I just think the expectations should have been clear before the game and then you would have probably a better case.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 01:02pm

Quote:
And will probably be the last $ you get from that school.

You came on this board and asked if you should get paid. The overwhelming majority on this board say that you and your partner are in the wrong, yet you don't like the answers you've received and you are still are on your high horse.

You've made yourself bigger than the game. To me, that's a real shame.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 01:08pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
The problem is that if I was temporarily insane, then
I must be permanantly insane.
No disagreement here... you must be permanently insane.
Quote:
Don't you guys realize that this is a JV GAME. Who cares that there is not a winner.
I don't care who wins ANY game that I officiate, but that doesn't mean that I don't stay around until the game is over and a winner has been determined (with the exception of a few "no extra innings/overtime" rec leagues that I work). Varsity, JV, 9th grade, 7th grade, 11U, whatever.

Quote:
We were on our way to a smooth game, when the fifth inning seemed to take forever and then they expect us to stay to watch a bunch of non-skilled kids play extra innings.
You're not there to watch the kids play extra innings, you're there to apply/enforce the rules fairly and evenly. And what difference does the skill level make? In most cases the highly skilled varsity player (or not, I've seen some very unskilled varsity games) was once an unskilled JV player.

Quote:
I'm not doing it. And I'm going to get my money one way or another.
And, if you have that attitude about it, you're probably going to tumble to the very bottom of your assigner's list, and stay there for a LONG time.