The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Checking bats? what to do?

I was working a tourney a few weeks ago (cal ripkin/obr rules). After a batter rocketed one off the wall, defensive coach asked me to "check the bat". I examined the bat (an Anderson Tech-zilla if I recall correctly). All proper markings, proper size, no signs of tampering, no mystery objects rolling around inside, ball sounded normal leaving the bat. I told coach "bats fine" and we played on.

My question is, what type of things should I be looking for when asked to check a bat? What are some things you more experienced guys have seen over the years that I should look for during bat inspection? Should I educate myself as to the style and construction of common bats so I can better spot an altered one?
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 05:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

It sounds like to me you did the right things. I would not complicate it more than that at this point. If the markings are there and all other mentioned rule things apply, that is all you can do. Now all bats have to have the same marking so it should be easier to identify anyway.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
I was working a tourney a few weeks ago (cal ripkin/obr rules). After a batter rocketed one off the wall, defensive coach asked me to "check the bat". I examined the bat (an Anderson Tech-zilla if I recall correctly). All proper markings, proper size, no signs of tampering, no mystery objects rolling around inside, ball sounded normal leaving the bat. I told coach "bats fine" and we played on.

My question is, what type of things should I be looking for when asked to check a bat? What are some things you more experienced guys have seen over the years that I should look for during bat inspection? Should I educate myself as to the style and construction of common bats so I can better spot an altered one?
Sounds like you're asking more about how to look for an altered bat, rather than about how to make sure the bat is rule compliant for the particular league. I look at a bat (only when required) the same way you appear to be doing it.

I would imagine that it would be somewhat difficult to see an alteration to a youth league bat, unless it was glaringly obvious that the end of the bat had been opened up. And I've never seen or heard of an altered bat that has been caught being used in a youth league or HS game.

Tim.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Most tournaments in my area don't have a bat rule. But I normally ask the tourney director before first pitch.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You did fine. Look for the BESR or BBCOR markings and the 2 ends. Make sure there are no flat spots or cracks and set the bat back in the batter's hands. Should take all of 30 seconds.

Thank God we won't have to deal with this crap any more in FED games.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
You did fine. Look for the BESR or BBCOR markings and the 2 ends. Make sure there are no flat spots or cracks and set the bat back in the batter's hands. Should take all of 30 seconds.

Thank God we won't have to deal with this crap any more in FED games.
Ozzy! How have you been, brother. Glad to see you're still able to sit upright and take nourishment.

I was hoping some of the "baseball" guys would chime in here and talk about some of the ways these composite bats can be altered. Like the gentleman that made the OP here, I'm not so certain I'd know how to recognize a subtle alteration if I were to be challenged to do so.

Tim.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Great questions. As others said, the markings are critical and cracks are usually obvious. Though composite bats don't ring like a wood bat when cracked they do sound different when bounced handle end against the plate. You can feel for flat spots easily enough too. I tossed a bat this season that had been the designated 'bunt bat' by a college team. It was heavier than normal and flattened enough to deaden a pitch. The catcher caught it when he picked up the bat to toss away and asked me to check it. The HC pleaded ignorance of course.

Look for tar or other contaminants above the legal length. I don't understand why they put pine tar on composite bats but some do and it is ugly when the ball hits it.

Check only what is necessary. I may have asked the coach what he wanted me to examine. If you can't satisfy him, ask the TD to help him understand. Good luck.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 05:25am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
Ozzy! How have you been, brother. Glad to see you're still able to sit upright and take nourishment.

I was hoping some of the "baseball" guys would chime in here and talk about some of the ways these composite bats can be altered. Like the gentleman that made the OP here, I'm not so certain I'd know how to recognize a subtle alteration if I were to be challenged to do so.

Tim.
You can cork wood bats and shave the metal ones. Properly done you can't tell, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
You can cork wood bats and shave the metal ones. Properly done you can't tell, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Looking at the link below, I see what you mean about how we can't tell if the bat has been altered. I had no idea this was becoming such a problem in leagues such as mens softball, for example.

This in an interesting read for a dreary and rainy Sunday morning.

Bat Doctoring

Tim.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 05:40pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
Looking at the link below, I see what you mean about how we can't tell if the bat has been altered. I had no idea this was becoming such a problem in leagues such as mens softball, for example.

This in an interesting read for a dreary and rainy Sunday morning.

Bat Doctoring

Tim.
The black Ultra II is the most common bat used in Senior Softball. You can look on eBay and find Miken Freak decals and ASA 2004 certified stickers. Plus, people that will shave and alter the appearance of the bat.

The certificate is now engraved into the bat, but that can be sanded out and painted over. The first Ultra II I bought was used and I suspect it had been altered. It finally started to show a break in it. I bought a new Ultra II, and it doesn't have nearly the same pop as the old one.

Cheating has gotten pretty rampant at these Senior tournaments. I don't know how well it is enforced. I went to one in Florida, and I saw one of the hotshot team's manager carrying a roll of stickers that were used to verify a bat that was checked.

If they ever ban the Senior bats, I suspect several will stop playing altogether.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 05:44pm
In Time Out

There is a banner ad at top of one of the pages advertising bat rolling and shaving.

#1 - Shaved Bats Rolled Bats Bat Shaving Bat Rolling Service Company

Wow, an umpire/referee forum that endorses cheating..........
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
There is a banner ad at top of one of the pages advertising bat rolling and shaving.

#1 - Shaved Bats Rolled Bats Bat Shaving Bat Rolling Service Company

Wow, an umpire/referee forum that endorses cheating..........
Not exactly...most likely the link in this thread allowed the cookie to replenish itself as advertising in the banner. It has happened before for uniforms, equipment and videos.
Old Mon Sep 05, 2011, 02:17am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Not exactly...most likely the link in this thread allowed the cookie to replenish itself as advertising in the banner. It has happened before for uniforms, equipment and videos.
I know. I just thought it to be ironic.