The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Correcting baserunning error during dead ball

Use OBR in your ruling.

The batter slides into 2nd with a double. The runner missed 1st base, however. Initially, the defense does not seem aware of the missed base. Time is granted to the runner so he can brush himself off and remove his body armor. When play resumes, the pitcher comes set, steps off, and throws the ball over to 1st to make an appeal that the runner had missed the base. However, the pitcher overthrows 1st and the ball goes out-of-play. The umpire awards the runner home (2-base award). Prior to accepting the award, the runner goes back and retouches 1st then advances around the bases to home.

Can the runner correct his baserunning error in this situation? If so, should the umpire still award him home?

Can the defense try another appeal once the ball is put back in play?

Last edited by David Emerling; Mon Aug 15, 2011 at 06:47pm.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Dave,

By rule (under OBR), the defense lost its right to appeal when they threw the ball out of play on the appeal attempt.

The question of the batter's ability to correct his miss of 1st base is moot.

JM
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Let's say the ball is overthrown but does not go directly out of play. Instead, a fan reaches over and grabs it below the railing for fan interference. Would the DT be allowed another appeal in that case?
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1953 View Post
Let's say the ball is overthrown but does not go directly out of play. Instead, a fan reaches over and grabs it below the railing for fan interference. Would the DT be allowed another appeal in that case?
I would allow the additional appeal. Once the ball is dead after the double, the runner may not legally go back and correct his baserunning error.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Dave,

By rule (under OBR), the defense lost its right to appeal when they threw the ball out of play on the appeal attempt.

The question of the batter's ability to correct his miss of 1st base is moot.

JM
Well, let me ask you this then: Can a runner correct his baserunning error after the ball has become dead then put back into play?

Let's say it happened this way: The batter hits a double and misses 1st. Time is called. The runner becomes aware that the defense intends to appeal the missed base once the ball gets put back into play. When the plate umpire says, "Play!" the runner sprints to from 2nd to 1st base and arrives there before the defense makes the appeal.

Can he do this?
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

BTW, is it necessary for the pitcher to step off before he makes the appeal throw to first? In a prior thread, the reply was "no", but I recall an MLB play where the pitcher was called for a balk when he did not (a lefty, Andy Pettitte).
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1953 View Post
BTW, is it necessary for the pitcher to step off before he makes the appeal throw to first? In a prior thread, the reply was "no", but I recall an MLB play where the pitcher was called for a balk when he did not (a lefty, Andy Pettitte).
There is no requirement to disengage prior to an appeal.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling View Post
Well, let me ask you this then: Can a runner correct his baserunning error after the ball has become dead then put back into play?

Let's say it happened this way: The batter hits a double and misses 1st. Time is called. The runner becomes aware that the defense intends to appeal the missed base once the ball gets put back into play. When the plate umpire says, "Play!" the runner sprints to from 2nd to 1st base and arrives there before the defense makes the appeal.

Can he do this?
The runner is allowed to return to a missed base when the ball is alive and in play. It is a bit implausible that he could run 90 feet before it is thrown 60 feet, but he might want to go back in the case of a throw that gets past F3 and remains in
play. The question might be, can the umpire "award" the runner first if he was going there and did not make it before fan interference of the overthrow.

ETA: according to this, the answer is "no"
3. A runner may not return to a missed base after the pitcher holds the ball in a pitching position on the mound. He may, naturally, attempt to advance.

That's important only because it prevents a runner from going back after the pitcher has stepped off the rubber with a live ball to make an appeal.

Last edited by Larry1953; Mon Aug 15, 2011 at 09:42pm.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
There is no requirement to disengage prior to an appeal.
Dash, I found an older edition of Make The Right Call 1994. It has casebook annotations for the (then) American and National Leagues. In the discussion about appeals, it always refers to the pitcher as getting set and then stepping off. As written, it seems to describe the steps required to put the ball back I'm play from the mound (and to distinguish it from a pick-off throw to an unoccupied base which I think is what they called a balk on Pettitte - incorrect as that call was).

ETA: the purpose of stepping off is to reduce the chance of actually balking while making the appeal which would negate it. As you stated, it is not a requirement.

Last edited by Larry1953; Mon Aug 15, 2011 at 09:49pm.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Per MLBUM, a runner can correct a baserunning error as long as he does not touch an advance base after the ball is out of play.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2011, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Per MLBUM, a runner can correct a baserunning error as long as he does not touch an advance base after the ball is out of play.
Right. But once the pitcher is on the rubber, a runner can't return.

So, in Emerling's play (or revised play), I would not allow the runner to return.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2011, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling View Post

Can he do this?
Once time is called and the runner has advanced to his "next base" he is not allowed to go back and correct his mistake. In this play the runner can "physically" go back, not legally.. and if the defense appeals he shall be called out.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2011, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Right. But once the pitcher is on the rubber, a runner can't return.

So, in Emerling's play (or revised play), I would not allow the runner to return.
Right. (Never mind what I posted here--I got my threads crossed.)