The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
What is the requirement for a bat to be legally used in a HS game? I have a friend that bought his son a bat to use, but is scared to unwrap it until he is sure it is legal. He is aware of some stamp or label that must be present, but would like the cold, hard facts on the matter.

I'm a hoops ref so I don't have a clue.

Thanks in advance...
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

2003 FED rule book: 1:3:5

The bat shall be a smooth cylinder made of wood, aluminum, magnesium or graphite-composite with a knob that is permanently and securely fastened. There shall be no devices, attachments, or wrappings that cause the handle to become flush with the knowb. Molded grips are illegal. An aluminum, magnesium or graphite-composite bat must have a safety grip of cork, tape or composition material. The grip must extend a minimum of 10 inches, but not more than 18 inches, from the handle end of the bat. Slippery tape or similar material shall be prohibited. A wooden bat may be roughed or wound with tape not more than 18 inches from the handle end of the bat. No foreign substance may be added to the surface of the bat beyond 18 inches from the end of the handle.

Each bat shall be:
in diameter at the thickest part.....2-5/8 inches or less
In length..............................36 inches or less
In weight...........................A bat shall not wiegh numerically, more than three ounces less than the length of the bat (e.g., a 33-inch-long bat cannot be less than 30 ounces).

Beginning January 1, 2003, all non-wood bats shall meet the Ball Exit Speen Ratio (BESR) performance standard, and such bats shall be labeled with a silk screen or other permanent certification mark.

So, be sure that:
-the barrel diameter is no more than 2-5/8 inches at the thickest part and not longer than 36 inches
-the bat's weight is not more than 3 ounces less than it's length (e.g., 32oz bat must be at least 29oz)
-the bat is labeled with a permanent BESR certification mark

That should help him.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
What is the requirement for a bat to be legally used in a HS game? I have a friend that bought his son a bat to use, but is scared to unwrap it until he is sure it is legal. He is aware of some stamp or label that must be present, but would like the cold, hard facts on the matter.

I'm a hoops ref so I don't have a clue.

Thanks in advance...
It must
1) have the BESR logo on the bat
2) Have a weight in oz. within 3 of the lenght in in (e.g., 33" bat must weigh at least 30 oz.)
3) have a barrel no greater than 2 5/8"
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Ok, it seems there is now some discussion of what constitutes a valid BESR label/logo.
So, is it:
a) the BESR logo only
b) an attached label with the bat
c) a silk screen printed statement on the bat
d) a combination of any of the above
e) none of the above
f) who cares

As I understand the new rule, I am going with "a".
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

I was told that if a bat was purchased before the BESR standards needed to be met, if the bat was sent back to the manufacturer, they would provide a BESR sticker and documentation stating that the bat was tested and does infact meet the BESR requirements. Is this something that you feel should be accepted in a game?
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Well now, after careful consideration and much thought I have come to this determination - - - NO!

Why?

Read on:

"NFHS Approves BESR Bats Responding to questions regarding titanium bats, the NFHS has ruled that any bat that meets the Ball Exit Speed Ratio (BESR) performance standard is legal for high school baseball competition governed by NFHS rules. The bats that have passed the standards have the BESR certification mark on the bat. Last June, the NFHS Baseball Rules Committee voted that, effective Jan. 1, 2003, all non-wood bats must have the BESR certification mark. Since many bats with the BESR standard are already on the market the interpretation by the NFHS allows those bats to be used in the 2002 high school season. “When purchasing bats, individuals can now be assured that no matter what materials are used in the bat composition, if it has the BESR certification mark, it is legal,” said Elliot
Hopkins, NFHS assistant director and liaison to the rules committee. “Whether the bat composition is titanium, ceramic or whatever, if it has the BESR mark, it can be used
immediately.” Hopkins said that bats with the BESR mark still are not required until Jan. 1, 2003. Bats that are legal by current rules can still be used for the 2002 season; however, all bats must have the BESR mark for the 2003 season."
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

I would have to agree even though our association was told that the stickers were okay.
Fed Rule 1-3-5 page 14 highlighted at the bottom of the page. "Beginning January 1, 2003, all non-wood bats shall meet the Ball Exit Speed Ratio (BESR) performance standard, and such bats shall be labeled with a silk screen or other permanent certification mark."
Stickers are not permanent...
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gobama84
I would have to agree even though our association was told that the stickers were okay.
Fed Rule 1-3-5 page 14 highlighted at the bottom of the page. "Beginning January 1, 2003, all non-wood bats shall meet the Ball Exit Speed Ratio (BESR) performance standard, and such bats shall be labeled with a silk screen or other permanent certification mark."
Stickers are not permanent...
From the NFSH web-site:

For purposes of being able to identify non-wood baseball bats that meet the Ball Exit Speed Ratio (BESR) performance standard, bats bearing the certification mark as a sticker or decal are deemed in compliance, as long as the bat manufacturer provided the sticker or decal to the bat owner.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Now for the next $64 question - what does an authentic sticker or decal look like?
I am curious if it looks just like the one I made up on my computer moments ago in only a matter of seconds.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2003, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rog
Now for the next $64 question - what does an authentic sticker or decal look like?
I am curious if it looks just like the one I made up on my computer moments ago in only a matter of seconds.
No, it doesn't.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2003, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Do you know where there is a site which shows an authentic sticker/label that umpires can view so that they will know what to look for?
The one I made sure would fool 99 & 44/1000th of the umpires in this region.

Well seems that no one has been able or willing to post a response to this question.

So, are all umpires to presume that ANY sticker/label is a legitimate one and not question the matter further?

[Edited by Rog on Mar 18th, 2003 at 10:35 AM]