The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Still need HELP!!!

Could someone please supply me with the infomation I asked for in the post above(up 1)? Thanks for all the help.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Still need HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by gobama84
Could someone please supply me with the infomation I asked for in the post above(up 1)? Thanks for all the help.
From NFHS 2000 website rulings at http://www.nfhs.org :
    SITUATION 19: With R1 on third base, R2 takes a lead off of first base and positions himself at the grass towards right center field. The coach of the defensive team complains to the base umpire that R2’s position is illegal. RULING: R2’s lead-off position is legal. (8-2)

Freix

Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up it's really a fun play to watch

This play is sold over the web I think it's called skunk in the out field, trick play's or the like by coach Nixon, the
whole concept is to score run's and this play is designed to tax the def. as much as possible, a good umpire has to be aware of what the runner is doing for it's very easy to have him be out of his base path which he establish's by his own actions, but if it is run properly a run should score and a out on a runner.

So like Steve hinted to it's a sacrifice with out a pitch, enjoy it when it happen's, you might not like they way it's done But it's a coach's job to use all the mean's he can to win, and if the other coach has not come up against this play, well...., life is full of lesson's isn't it.

mac
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gobama84
Less than 2 outs, R1 on third, R2 on first. R2 takes a walking lead towards the right field foul pole and keeps walking to try and draw a throw allowing R1 to try to score a run.
I believe this to be a travesty of the game. Do you agree or disagree? If you agree how would you make the call. This was discussed during our meeting last night because some teams did this during American Legion this past summer and said they will do it in High School this year. I don’t know how it was called during the summer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
AND????? BIG Deal!!! Smart and well coached plyers will figure it out, haven't seen this action, but, seems legit, rather sneeky. For the stupid other team.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Thanks

Thanks Bfair,
I didn't know about that website.
I think if I was the opposing team I would just have my pitcher step back off the rubber and bluff the runner on 3rd back and then throw to 1st. If that runner then took another step towards right field Blue would have to call him out.
Thanks again,
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

If that runner then took another step towards right field Blue would have to call him out.

You are making two assumptions. First he would have to at least facing first not second. Second, that one step would have to move him more than three feet out of his basepath.

Why are you trying so hard to find a way to call the out? Let the play develop and follow the rules.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Skunk in the Outfield!

http://www.hit2win.com/trickplay.html
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Wellll,

It is not in the case book, it was in one of the Quarterly newsletters or a notice sent to all Federation certified groups (in both cases this makes it an 'official' ruling).

The newsletter (available at their website) is one of the better ways to keep abreast of current FED interpretations.

Tee
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Runner on 1st walking toward foul pole. Which side of line is he on? Foul side, you could call abandonment on the runner.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 12:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Why? Citations please.

Rich
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Rich

There are no citations available to back this ruling.

FED also stands behind that a "lead off" can be in foul ground (i.e. it happens all the time at third base) so there would be no backing for abandonment.

Tee
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Lloyd,
ASHAA's position on this play is that you have an out when the runner reaches the grass, Travesty of the game. This was discussed during the South Central District Camp in February.

I don't know which association you belong to, you can have your prez contact Perry Butler, the state rules interpreter to clarify this.

Will
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by badbamaump
Lloyd,
ASHAA's position on this play is that you have an out when the runner reaches the grass, Travesty of the game. This was discussed during the South Central District Camp in February.

I don't know which association you belong to, you can have your prez contact Perry Butler, the state rules interpreter to clarify this.

Will
Sounds good, I'll do that.
By the way Decatur and it's Loyd with 1 L. Everyone else is wrong.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

We are talking a lead at first not third. Abadonment is the cessation of effort to advance on the bases. A runner walking away from the next base could be considered to have abandoned his effort.
I.E. Runner at 1st takes a "lead" from 1st but not towards 2nd, out to the outfield with no steps toward 2nd.
The "skunk in the outfield" play calls for the runner to take a deep lead, into the outfield, from 1st but towards 2nd. Unusual but legal. A runner walking towards the foul pole is not taking any steps toward the next base, therefore he has abandoned his effort.
Leads at third go into foul territory but towards home, effort to advance.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Will & Wool

Will:

So Alabama has ruled contrary to FED -- is that what you are saying?

If that is true that means that Mr. Brewer is supporting a ruling that is NOT FED sanctioned and therefore he is not allowed to be on the National Rules Committee.

We have been told over-and-over that any state that does not follow FED rules cannot be involved in the development of the rule book.

Does Mr. Brewer KNOW what ruling is being used in HIS state?

Wool: just give me a FED citation that backs your description of a "legal lead" . . . after 34 years I have yet to find that citation, but even this old dog can learn new things.

Tee

[Edited by Tim C on Mar 11th, 2003 at 02:35 PM]