The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I originally posted this in the softball forum, but want to get as much feedback as possible. The article series is found on Officiating.com. So, here it is for the baseball group, too....

Stefan Campagna, as you all are probably aware, has been writing a series about becoming a better umpire. I was reading this with great interest as I am a fairly new umpire and want to better myself at every possible opportunity. However, I was completely put off by a statement he made in the section titled "Typical Softball Umpire." At the end of the section, he wrote, "Everyone appreciates those umpires who give it 100%; no doubt, we've all seen plenty who gave only 75%. But the bottom line is ... I'd rather pay someone to give me 50% effort and be impartial, blown calls and all, than have volunteer umpires!" As a volunteer umpire, I am a member of an all-volunteer association that is well-respected in our community. In addition, many umpires from paid associations donate their time to our association. I find this statement to be insulting, degrading, and completely divisive in our umpiring community as a whole. If our goal is to help each other to become better umpires, especially through an article series designed to do that, then we shouldn't make comments like this that are detrimental to a large segment of the community, especially a segment that Mr. Campagna feels could benefit from his writing. I find it interesting that the very next segment is titled "Earning Respect." Mr. Campagna has certainly lost mine. E-mails to both Mr. Campagna and Carl Childress have gone without reply. This is why I bring this up here.

Before any of you get started, I have read several messages in the forums of experiences you have all had with volunteer umpires, so no need to repeat them again. For that matter, if I wanted to take the time, I could provide an equal number of stories about bad experiences I have had with paid officials. But that would not accomplish anything and only create further division.

My reason for posting this is simple. I would like to get some feedback from you about the concept of promoting unity and assistance to our volunteer community. How do we help those improve that are providing a needed service? Do we just make fun of them and hope somewhere along the line they will get help? Do we work with them and point them to training opportunities (camps, clinics, etc)? Do we work with their leadership to make sure that the training opportunities are available? Do you automatically, as does Mr. Campagna, assume I am inferior to you in skills because I am a volunteer or do you watch my game to find out? If I am lacking in some areas, do you respectfully offer assistance after the game you just watched?

One last point. I will take a volunteer umpire that works their butt off for their community any time over a paid umpire that shows up to a game late, blows half his calls, and sits on his heels in the field. (i.e. the 50% effort mentioned above). In fact, I would take a volunteer umpire over any paid umpire that doesn't give 100%.

Well, that's my two cents. What's yours?
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Unless there is a scholarship available, I don't see these volunteers paying to go to a camp or clinic if they've been pointed in that direction.

I wonder if there is a stereotype out there that volunteer officials are less experienced. Usually the ones I've seen don't even own any kind of uniform. I'm only throwing these out as questions.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, I dont believe that you will gain much sympathy in this Forum for what appears to be a personal conflict with Mr. Campagna and yourself.

Having said that, I will state that I personally have hosted each year for no fee, clinics that are designed to help organizations develope younger officials for basball. There are often volunteer adults present, however I am not aware of any organization in our area that offers volunteer officiating for baseball.

Now as an Official of both Baseball and Ice Hockey I offer this advise to you as a volunteer. You have got to learn to take some criticism and let comments like this roll off your shoulders. The fact that you have posted on two forums and written 5 paragraphs about what Mr Campagna has stated about volunteers, shows that you may be a little immature, this too is not good in developing confidence and it shows possible signs of confrontation on the Field ,as an official.

Good luck , I hope I have helped.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

I grew up in a small rural Ohio town and when I hear the term volunteer umpire, what comes to my mind is the high school kid or parent who had the evening open and agreed to help out by umpiring that night. Those are the umpire's I grew up with when I played. Although I do give them many kudos for doing what they do, most of them do not know the game. Now that I am a licensed umpire, I dread working with them. I, being the certified umpire, take the crap for their calls and find myself having to make calls that my partner should have made. Most of the time it is do to thier mechanics; they find themselves way out of position. I'm sure that in some areas there are very knowledgable and very talented volunteer umpires, and I'm sure some are better than myslef but, from my past experiences, I have developed a negative stereotype against them. I think many people share these same feelings towards them also.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

I volunteer for the local Little League here in town. But I also get paid from an association for other Little League associations, High School, and adult games.

In my experience, the volunteer has the luxury to pick and choose the games (i.e., cool, evening, Saturdays, etc...) The paid umpire goes when and where he is told.

The volunteer group usually pittles (is that a word?) out around the dog days. THe paid umpires keeps going.

For every paid ump that shows up late, blows a call, doesn't move, there is three-fold of volunteers that don't show up at all, doesn't KNOW the call and over hustles.

But I also volunteer so I take nothing away from that. But if I had a choice between someone I don't know that is getting paid, or one that is a volunteer, I would take the paid because of uniform, knowledge and responsibility (even though the volunteers efforts might be effected by outside sources...i.e., family, kids, work...)

Just my thoughts.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Cool Taking the heat

Had to use the shades for this one.

jicecone: These are the things I am talking about. Rather than complaining and griping about umpires that don't know what they are doing because they are volunteer, we should assist one another in clinics, camps, and other technical assistance. It appears that Buckeye would rather just complain than help. As far as taking the heat, I do so regularly on the field and can handle the worst coach/parent/player with ease, without benefit of compensation. However, I don't readily stand by and have myself and those I work with insulted by someone who claims to be assisting us become umpires just because we are volunteers.

I pay for my own equipment, my own uniforms, and my own training, camps and clinics, as do everyone in my association. We are held to the same standards as paid umpires.

We, also, continue to work tournaments and fall ball well into September and October.

Are you some of you afraid that if someone who is not paid does the job as well as you do your fees may decrease? If not, then why not help those that need it instead of having this holier-than-thou attitude?

And, since so many of us work side by side with paid umpires on many occasions, we report our games to both our management the management of the paid umpires. If they treat us like crap, they are reported and will lose assignments. Remember gentlemen, we are the third TEAM on the field. We need to work together and maintain the unity required to do the best possible job.

Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

OK

So by the way your post is written you have attempted to intimidate anyone from disagreeing with you. That is pretty good game managment. You have eliminated dissent by the nature of your post, good job.

So:

I disagree with your view, I feel there is a major difference between paid and volunteer umpires.

The quickly thinning,

("Original") Tee

[Edited by Tim C on Feb 28th, 2003 at 11:33 AM]
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation I've heard it all before

My post was not to argue what the perceived difference was between paid and volunteer umpires. I know how most of you feel already, and it is a battle I don't care to fight. That is why I want to direct the communication away from that. The discussion I wanted to start is, if you feel that way, why not help? Obviously, most of you feel strongly that volunteer umpires are not capable of the same quality as paid umpires. I agree that is your perception, whether earned or not. My point is that instead of just complaining about it and continously pointing out how bad they are, why not assist them by directing them to training opportunities that are available and the potential they have to get better?
My question in my last post was meant to get a reaction...are you afraid that by assisting others you may lose status, assignments, money, etc? In the martial arts, one cannot advance until they have proven that they can effectively teach others the same skills they have learned. Hmmmm....not a bad idea, eh?
Of course, it is easier just to sit back and pat yourselves on the back. Kind of hard to call an out with a twisted arm, though.
And Tee, you have helped me, and I am not calling your knowledge and skill into question. I am calling out the people that find it easier to complain than to actually do something helpful. I know how you feel about volunteer umpires. I can't change that. But, you do help; at least you have helped me.
My ultimate point was that Mr. Campagna threw that comment into his writing for no other reason than to put a bad light on volunteers. There was no other reason for it. It was not helpful, it was not insightful, it was insulting. If he meant to help me become a better umpire, it totally turned me off to anything else he has to say. I learned nothing FROM HIM from that point forward.

[Edited by striker991 on Feb 28th, 2003 at 09:38 AM]
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

What do you want?

You sound like a whinner.

Your quote is...." I pay for my own equipment, my own uniforms, and my own training, camps and clinics, as do everyone in my association. We are held to the same standards as paid umpires."

If everyone in your association is paying for everything you state, then what are you seeking?

We all pay for the same things.

It soulds like someone expressed THEIR OPINION in this series being written and you are not happy. This happens many times in life. What do you want the people on here to do about it?

Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Stiker, if you were taking a flight from LA to NY, would you prefer a certified pilot over one who volunteered? While you'd likely think the airline wouldn't allow an unskilled pilot in the cockpit, your confidence will rest greater with those that you know have shown greater effort at being trained, practiced, and having been tested to meet accepted standards.

Have a good flight............

Freix

Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

I don't believe officials are resentful about volunteer officials, that is your choice wether you want to receive compensation for your services or not. For the most part though the volunteer does NOT have the training and knowledge that the certified officials has. I said for the most part, there are exceptions, like mabey yourself, I dont know.

However I have seen many places were the volunteer umpire brags that "why are you spending all this money for someone that gets all technical and puts on a show, heck, I will do it for nothing or next to nothing". Well how would you like people doing this to you at your regular job. No there is not much difference.

99% of the time, the certified official will do a better job. You may be in that 1%. If so that is honorable on your part. Again I don't believe that officials dont want to help others out, wether their a person off the street or a volunteer. Any organization with worth their weight will help out volunteers with the hope that they will become members. However if you are out there taking work away from the certified official, Well, how would you treat that person if it pertained to your own job?

Being a volunteer is honorable but, I beleive there are too many people that want to take advantage of that, and get something for nothing. By the same token they will go out and buy $150 bats and not blink an eye, or argue about the price.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Last post on this topic, I promise

Unless Mr. Campagna should decide to respond.

Let me point out that I have enjoyed all the interaction I have had with everyone on this board over the last year. I have found your insight, knowledge, and expertise all extremely helpful. As I am still fairly new to being an umpire, it is my desire to be the best I can be. Let me be clear that I am NOT touting my own skills, as again, I am yet a rookie.

My desire is that when you see a volunteer that needs your assistance, you all would be willing to lend a hand and help that person do a better job. I will grant you that there are many who will not heed your advice, but many will. You may be surprised.

Volunteer organizations should have volunteer umpires as well. When everyone else is working without benefit of compensation, why should we pay only the umpires? Volunteer umpires are a necessary part of our baseball community. Please, if you are not volunteering when you can, please assist those that are, when you can.

Oh, Bfair, bad analogy. I'll let you know when my life depends on an umpire. Ummm....that would be, like, uhhh...

NEVER!

Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

I have no problem helping out a volunteer umpire, but I never have a chance being around them because I am busy umpiring college and varsity games where volunteer umpires don't exist. As a matter of fact, the conference commissioners and athletic directors in my area are not looking for a volunteer. They treat it as a business, and remember that sometimes you get what you pay for. I have also dealt with rookie and or volunteer umps that think after a few games that they are next best thing to sliced bread out on the field. Their heads are so big, they don't want any help.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Last post on this topic, I promise

Quote:
Originally posted by Striker991

Oh, Bfair, bad analogy. I'll let you know when my life depends on an umpire. Ummm....that would be, like, uhhh...

NEVER!
Striker, as a rookie you've apparently not umpired long enough to fully understand the mindset of many coaches.......

nuf said...........LOL

Freix

Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 12:47am
Administrator

Every person is entitled to respect as a human being. I do not believe that respect is earned. Every person is entitled to be treated with dignity and respect. Do some people conduct themselves in a way that causes others to repsect them less? Of course. But to treat any person with comtempt only lowers oneself to that person's level. Our society is forgetting how to act in a civil manner.

No matter how stupid a person acts, I still treat him civily. I may not like the person, but I still conduct myself in a civilized manner.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio