View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Cool Taking the heat

Had to use the shades for this one.

jicecone: These are the things I am talking about. Rather than complaining and griping about umpires that don't know what they are doing because they are volunteer, we should assist one another in clinics, camps, and other technical assistance. It appears that Buckeye would rather just complain than help. As far as taking the heat, I do so regularly on the field and can handle the worst coach/parent/player with ease, without benefit of compensation. However, I don't readily stand by and have myself and those I work with insulted by someone who claims to be assisting us become umpires just because we are volunteers.

I pay for my own equipment, my own uniforms, and my own training, camps and clinics, as do everyone in my association. We are held to the same standards as paid umpires.

We, also, continue to work tournaments and fall ball well into September and October.

Are you some of you afraid that if someone who is not paid does the job as well as you do your fees may decrease? If not, then why not help those that need it instead of having this holier-than-thou attitude?

And, since so many of us work side by side with paid umpires on many occasions, we report our games to both our management the management of the paid umpires. If they treat us like crap, they are reported and will lose assignments. Remember gentlemen, we are the third TEAM on the field. We need to work together and maintain the unity required to do the best possible job.