The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

There is R1. S1 is already in the set position as BR takes his sign and steps into the batter's box, simaltaneously raising his hand requesting time to settle into the box. UIC raises his left hand to hold off the pitch, when S1 attempts to steal 2nd. Time was not called verbally, just the raising of UIC'S left hand toward the pitcher. D skipper yells, "hey, the ball is dead!" O skipper says, "no time out was called."

Is the ball dead by just raising a hand to hold off the pitcher? Must "time" be called verbally each time in that situation?

S1 was sent back to 1st.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wpiced
[

Is the ball dead by just raising a hand to hold off the pitcher?
[/B]
Yes.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

"It got caught in my throat, coach." or "I sure did call time; your runner must have missed it." or "It was your batter than called "time", coach. Let's start over."
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

I've had coaches demand, like trial lawyers, whether I had actually uttered the word "time," as if the Supreme Court were going to rule in their favor or something. I tell them, "All I have to do is think time."

Once in girls' FP, after play had stopped, the offensive coach asked to replace his runner (his catcher) on 3B with a courtesy runner. I said, "OK." As the runner was coming out, the catcher/runner left 3B for the dugout. At that moment the defensive coach started screaming for his team to tag the departing runner. They did, and he demanded an out because I had never actually said the word "time." The fans really got on him.

Yes, if your hand goes up, there is time out, and contrary to what some people think, that means time out everywhere on the field.

When I do baseball after a lot of SP softball, I have to remind myself NOT to put my hand up between pitches as I sometimes do in SP.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Do any of you have the problem with people calling time too much? Especially in baseball I have done some games where the infielders will want me to call time every time they throw the ball back to the pitcher with runners on base.

Do you guys grant always grant that time. I've basically told them that I'm not going to give time after every play and to walk the ball over and hand it to the pitcher if they are that concerned about a bad throw.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

The younger crowd (and their coaches) try calling "Time" everytime the ball is coming in from the outfield. I tell 'em right off, "The ball's still in play fellas. Get it back to the pitcher." or "Unless you've got an injured player somewhere, coach . . . please don't yell "time" while the ball's in play."

If they continue, I just ignore 'em. The game will end up "playing itself". It usually doesn't get that far; once they realize I'm not going to call "time".

Jerry

P.S. One problem associated with calling "time" frequently; you have to motion and say "play ball" again. Technically speaking, the ball legally can't be put back into play until you say so. Darn nuisance actually. You have to wait until the pitcher is on the rubber, the batter is back in the box, etc.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

The DEATH . . .

. . . of me is the BS "Time Out!" calls from infielders bringing the ball in.

It comes to us from the wonderful world of Slow Pitch Softball.

Here's what I do:

F6: "Hey Blue Time, Time OUT!"

Tee: "Why" . . . ?

F6: With a strange look, "I said TIME" . . .

Tee: "Why"

It usually ends there. At the next dead ball F6 will always ask, "Why didn't you give me TIME!"

Tee: "Returning the ball to the infield and then to the pitcher is a SKILL of the game - I am not going to cover your poor play."

Tee
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Aching Antlers

What the hell is S1?

BR must be "Batter-Runner" but how can a BR be taking his sign and stepping in the box.

Whoa, there is that S1 again. How can S1 (whoever the hell he is) both go into a set position and THEN try to steal 2nd? Shouldn't this question be in the CALVIN BALL section?

Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Mr. Moose. I didn't mean to cause your antlers to ache. The "F" is only two keys away from "S" on my key board,and I typed that post in the middle of the night. F1 frequently comes set in a ball game. S1 must have been one of those defensive coaches standing in the infield that I have been reading about.

But, knowing that you've been around for a while, you knew what I ment. Thanks for keeping us posters on our toes.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

It was probably F1 making an "S" of himself.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Tim c. I agree with your way to handle the Time Outs.

I always ask What For?

Most of them shrug there shoulders and quit asking.??????

To date I have yet to have any player give me a reason????????/
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Regarding the original situation, I am also loathe to use the "Do not pitch" signal just because the batter asks for it. I have never had a pitcher pitch to a batter in this situation. If they do, "That's a balk!"

P-Sz
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Spaaaaaaz, you're back

Patrick,

I flat don't understand your post:

1) You loathe the signal just because the batter asks for it. OK, but tradition and real umpires like to KEEP CRAP FROM HAPPENING in their games and if they can delay an infraction by such a simple move WHY NOT DO IT?

2) Then you say if the pitcher pitches it is a balk. OK, I'm game WHY? We know there can even be do-overs but you seem to say at the start of your post that you "loathe" the batter asking but if the pitcher pitches you BALK HIM.

3) I must be misunderstanding, as it looks like you're making this a "quick return pitch" and I don't think that is what this thread is about --

4) I guess while you were away you didn't learn much more about umpiring.

BTW, for y'all -- the hand raised by the PU is all it takes for time to be out. In FED it is actually on their "signals" page. You do not have to verbally commit.

Tee
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Patrick,

I flat don't understand your post:

1) You loathe the signal just because the batter asks for it. OK, but tradition and real umpires like to KEEP CRAP FROM HAPPENING in their games and if they can delay an infraction by such a simple move WHY NOT DO IT?
========================

2) Then you say if the pitcher pitches it is a balk. OK, I'm game WHY? We know there can even be do-overs but you seem to say at the start of your post that you "loathe" the batter asking but if the pitcher pitches you BALK HIM.

3) I must be misunderstanding, as it looks like you're making this a "quick return pitch" and I don't think that is what this thread is about --

4) I guess while you were away you didn't learn much more about umpiring.

BTW, for y'all -- the hand raised by the PU is all it takes for time to be out. In FED it is actually on their "signals" page. You do not have to verbally commit.

Tee
I agree with most of what you say, Mr. Christensen.

1. If an umpire believes that this signal might prevent a bad situation, I would agree that one should use the hand signal. I would include the Balk as one of those "bad situations". I would only use the "do not pitch" signal if I think there is a significant chance that the pitcher might start a pitch. This keeps the game moving.

I've never had to call that balk yet, though I was allowing for the possibility.

2. This is a "quick return pitch", and thus a balk/illegal pitch in all codes. A "quick return pitch" is any pitch that begins before the batter is reasonably ready (OBR 8.05e). My fault for not explaining this better to the board.

3. This thread was originally about the "do not pitch" signal, which makes the ball dead. I was pointing out that the "do not pitch" signal is often unnecessary.

4. I've learned a lot, both from the internet and in real life. As always, I appreciate all your insights.

P-Sz
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

"Tim c. I agree with your way to handle the Time Outs.

I always ask What For?"

Mine is a variation on that theme:

F6: (walking the ball in afte taking the cut-off in short outfield while runner is a few steps west of first)

Time!

ME: (quietly) No.

F6: Time.

ME: (A little louder) NO.

F6: I've got time.

ME: No, you've got the ball and part of this game is demonstrating that you have the skill to throw it to your pitcher without letting that runner move to second. Let's go.
________

This may take an extra second or so, but I don't have to repeat it like I would if I granted time every time some fielder wants me to protect his butt.