Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 07, 2011, 12:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

NF 2012 Rules Changes

2012 NF Baseball Rules

I am actually surprised this was not posted previously. Here it goes.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 07, 2011, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

While I think it's nice for the umpires to not have to examine equipment before the game anymore, there's no question in my mind this reduces player safety. I've had to disqualify more cracked batting helmets than I can remember including helmets for the same team on separate occasions.

In my experience, coaches can't be trusted with this responsibility.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2011, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Very glad to see an end to equipment checks; I agree that should be the responsibility of the head coach.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2011, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Like the end to equipment checks as well. I'll just need to remember to add the question, "Is all equipment in accordance to NFHS rules" to my pregame meeting.

I am a little concerned about the announcement of developing a "tamper-evident protocol" for non-wood bats and have it implemented by 2015. 2012 is bringing in full BBCOR compliance, and this just sounds like a new compliance is heading our way in just three short years.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2011, 01:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
While I think it's nice for the umpires to not have to examine equipment before the game anymore, there's no question in my mind this reduces player safety. I've had to disqualify more cracked batting helmets than I can remember including helmets for the same team on separate occasions.

If they cannot be trusted, then they do not need to be working for a school. We should not have to be worried about something before the game. We do not go around and check all equipment in football and that is a much more violent sport. Of course if we spot check things, but we do not go over to every kid with a (football) helmet and see if they have a sticker or if everyone has a mouthpiece. This was always silly and not done properly by many either. Put this on the coaches. And a bat was not always about safety, it was about legality. If they bring in an illegal bat, then it should be noticed or pointed out during the game and the appropriate penalty should occur.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 07, 2011, 01:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm thrilled. Now we can enter the field at the end of infield, go right to the plate, have the plate meeting, anthem, and go.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2011, 01:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'm thrilled. Now we can enter the field at the end of infield, go right to the plate, have the plate meeting, anthem, and go.
+1

Peace
Old Thu Jul 07, 2011, 01:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Not. My. Problem.

I'm not getting all weepy about player safety. It's about time coaches are left with this responsibility. I'm just thrilled I'll never have to go into another dugout.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2011, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Fortunately, I didn't have to go into dugouts anyway. I always had the equipment to be used during the game brought outside of the dugouts.

Umpires have NO business in dugouts.

I too love the new rule.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2011, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Funny, NCAA Made this change a couple of years ago and there were no worries about not trusting coaches.

All I know is, it's about time! Thank you NHFS!
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If they cannot be trusted, then they do not need to be working for a school. We should not have to be worried about something before the game. We do not go around and check all equipment in football and that is a much more violent sport. Of course if we spot check things, but we do not go over to every kid with a (football) helmet and see if they have a sticker or if everyone has a mouthpiece. This was always silly and not done properly by many either. Put this on the coaches. And a bat was not always about safety, it was about legality. If they bring in an illegal bat, then it should be noticed or pointed out during the game and the appropriate penalty should occur.

Peace
I agree, but they don't let me make the hiring decisions for the coaches. Hopefully, they will step up to their responsibilities, but somehow I doubt it.

I do agree that it should be the coach's responsibility; I've just seen a lot of irresponsible coaches.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 09:09am
Stop staring at me swan.

I love the fact that we no longer have to roam the dugouts. Excellent rule change. Time for the coaches to be held accountable.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Hehehehe,

Actually on the ABUA website I asked:

"If you could change ONE NFHS Rule what would it be?"

The big winner was "no more checking hats and bats!"

I made the post as a little hint to what was coming down the line.

T
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

The new rule change states,
Quote:
"Prior to the start of each game, each head coach must now verify to the umpire in-chief that all participants are legally equipped and equipment is in accordance with NFHS rules."
I could have sworn that we already ask this of them, at least around here, we do.
Further -

Quote:
"In addition, umpires no longer will be required to perform pregame equipment checks, as that responsibility will fall to coaches beginning next year."
However -

Quote:
"Coaches can still ask umpires at the pregame conference to confirm that equipment is compliant."
IOW - "I don't know Blue, go check them and see for yourself. I told them at the beginning of the season but don't do equipment checks each game."

Quote:
Other rules changes approved by the committee include:

Rule 6-2-2c Note: The starting pitcher may warm up by using no more than eight throws, completed in one minute (timed from the first throw). This rule applies to relief pitchers as well. At the beginning of each subsequent inning, the pitcher may warm up with no more than five throws, completed in one minute.
It looks like they are moving towards the game clock rule that is used by the NCAA. The one minute rule was always encouraged but making it a point of emphasis for 2012 suggests that they want a ball called as penalty for non-compliance, no allowances made. Hmmm?
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 10:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

I predict some states will continue to require equipment checks.
Closed Thread