The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Order of Appeals...???

Ok, this is 3rd world, but after Miguel Cairo's triple was taken off the board on Saturday night (turns to a single for you Chapter 10 folks) because R1 (Cano) failed to touch 3rd, I explained to those in the room some other appeal situations in regards to runs scoring.

However, I got held up on this one. Its definately 3rd world, but I think after thinking about it after a couple of minutes I had it figured out. There are several different scenarios where this could happen, but I'll give you just one (concept is the same on each scenario.

Bases full, 1 out. Batter hits a triple. R1 misses 2nd, and then B/R misses 2nd. All runners score. Defense appeals to 2nd, U2 asks for "which runner".

Now, my questions. If defense appeals B/R first, that would be the 2nd out. Then appeals R1, and that would be the 3rd out, and a force, taking R2 and R3's runs off the board. Is this correct?

Or, if defense appeals R1 first, that makes 2 outs. Then B/R is called out on appeal, leaving R2 and R3's runs on the board. Correct?

Lastly, does the defense have to appeal twice (throw the ball to second two seperate occasions, if live ball appeal). I would think so but am curious.

I know, third world play. But it took me a couple of minutes to get my head around and am curious to see if I interpretted everything correctly. Does the order of the appeals matter?

Last edited by TussAgee11; Sun Jul 08, 2007 at 09:28pm.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

In OBR and Fed, R1's miss of 2B was a force when he missed the bag, so it is a force play on appeal. Therefore, appealing the non-force miss first (BR's miss of 2B) and then the force (R1's miss) for the third out would nullify the run. The reverse order of appeals would not.

In NCAA, R1 was forced at 2B when the play began, so the same order of appeals would apply.

In ASA softball, just to show that another code views this differently, once the batter is put out, all forces are off. So there would be no way to configure both appeals to nullify the runs.

I know, because I get this play two or three times a week.