The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Would you take the field with this guy? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/71391-would-you-take-field-guy.html)

MikeStrybel Sun Jun 05, 2011 09:39am

Of course it's the level of ball being worked. (sigh) The problem here is some want to condemn a guy for not being them. I have worked with plenty of guys who have a clothes rod full of two of every color shirts, a variety of colored undershirts, three or four pairs of pants, four different jackets and various ball bags to match his fashion statement of the day. When on the field, fashion means little. I can just see the coach's report to the NCAA or local high school association. "Bill simply didn't have a clue outh there. He was out of position, hesitated too long on easy calls and acted too quickly on difficult ones that blew up on him. On the plus side, he looked great!"

I worked with one guy who chastised me for mixing brands in my gear. He actually had a problem with my Nike compression shirt not matching my Reebok shoes. (roll eyes and hale the fashion police)

yawetag Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 763428)
"Bill simply didn't have a clue outh there. He was out of position, hesitated too long on easy calls and acted too quickly on difficult ones that blew up on him. On the plus side, he looked great!"

Part of the rating system in Missouri has coaches give scores on appearance.

justanotherblue Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 763413)
It takes only a minute to wash the dirt off the shoes from the previous game.

New uniforms? Sure, not everyone can afford those. But clean ones? I've seen guys pull pants from the trunk with a belt and ball bags still attached. No hangar, no pride.

I'm not saying I like or enjoy working with them, I also agree, washing machines are avaliable just about everywhere. For me it's a matter of personnal pride and more importantly, respect for the game. I don't go have an adult beverage with them after the game. My assignor is well aware of their appearance and keeps giving them games. As I said, for the most part, they work hard on the field. If I was working in a JUCO or above game, I would work the game, call my assignor and refuse to work with him again. I do agree with the upper levels, (I've done some Independent baseball), I would be hesitant to walk on the field with them. Than again, at that level, they wouldn't be there anyway, so it's a moot point.

umpjong Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 763428)
When on the field, fashion means little.

You surely dont believe this? At the higher levels it means a great deal. To propose that you should only concern yourself with outs and safes is a bit short sighted.

MrUmpire Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:22pm

Quote:

New uniforms? Sure, not everyone can afford those. But clean ones? I've seen guys pull pants from the trunk with a belt and ball bags still attached. No hangar, no pride.

For my education on this subject, can you tell me if those you've seen do that were upper quality umpires?

MrUmpire Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjong (Post 763457)
You surely dont believe this? At the higher levels it means a great deal. To propose that you should only concern yourself with outs and safes is a bit short sighted.

A problem exists when we try a "one size fits all" solution. Agreed that at higher levels it means much. It can even mean getting assignments or not. But it appears that in some posters' work level there is not such an emphasis on professional appearance.

justanotherblue Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:35pm

I can tell you that every upper level umpire I've ever worked with maintain their uniforms in a neat, clean and non-faded state, including their shoes period. "Those guys" are few and far between in most associations. Locally, nearly all maintain neat and clean uniforms. Again, it's respect for the game as well as one's self.

MrUmpire Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotherblue (Post 763454)
i'm not saying i like or enjoy working with them, i also agree, washing machines are avaliable just about everywhere. For me it's a matter of personnal pride and more importantly, respect for the game. I don't go have an adult beverage with them after the game. My assignor is well aware of their appearance and keeps giving them games. As i said, for the most part, they work hard on the field. If i was working in a juco or above game, i would work the game, call my assignor and refuse to work with him again. I do agree with the upper levels, (i've done some independent baseball), i would be hesitant to walk on the field with them. Than again, at that level, they wouldn't be there anyway, so it's a moot point.

+1

JRutledge Sun Jun 05, 2011 02:14pm

Quote:

I started when I was in college and did not have a lot of money. Had to take a loan from my parents to buy my equipment. I did buy quality off the bat (no pun intended) and I would clean anything that was dirty or out of place. I hung up all my uniform and made sure they could last without having to wash them all the time. You do not have to have a lot of stuff to just keep it looking good. In all my sports I might go weeks without washing some of my outer uniform. Now baseball is hard to do when you can get muddy and dirty really quick. But I always shined or cleaned off my shoes and I took care of my equipment. I think some guys get away with being sloppy, but that would not fly very long here. You would stick out like a sore thumb with sweats or some wind pants.

Peace

Rich Sun Jun 05, 2011 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 763471)
For my education on this subject, can you tell me if those you've seen do that were upper quality umpires?

It's a relative thing. I see guys assigned as crew chiefs in sectional games in WI that haven't cleaned their shoes since they bought them. Then again, umpires are assigned directly by the state without ever being seen.

Rich Sun Jun 05, 2011 04:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 763510)
It's a relative thing. I see guys assigned as crew chiefs in sectional games in WI that haven't cleaned their shoes since they bought them. Then again, umpires are assigned directly by the state without ever being seen.

I much prefer working where umpires who run associations decide who to send. Rarely do those groups get it wrong. I worked a big playoff game last year with a guys who worked a total of 5 varsity games and never to that date had worked a varsity game in the big school division. Needless to say, I worked the plate. Before the game I asked him to remove his watch and his shoes were filthy.

MikeStrybel Sun Jun 05, 2011 08:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjong (Post 763457)

What don't I believe? Fashion is not part of the criteria with which I judge umpires. If you do, so be it. I choose to be value ability over being a model.

Read the original post again.

Quote:

Would you take the field with a partner who is working the plate? His pants are obviously not plate pants. They are so tight around the legs that they barely fit over his shin guards. Because of this, his pants are about six inches too short. I was not working this game, but I was embarrassed to be watching it.
We are not talking about dusty shoes here. As I stated, I will take talent over appearance any day. This original post smacks of generalizing, arrogance and a lack of professional demeanor. I will work with whomever is assigned to that contest. I may not like them, but for a couple hours I am their best friend and support staff. How they look matters little to me, as long as they are safe and up to the job. I once worked a college game with a guy who forgot his base shoes. He worked the whole game (9 innings) in his old +POS low cuts and nailed the calls that came his way, though a step slower for certain. I have also worked games where the guy forgot to grab his plate pants before heading to work (then directly to the game) and looked like a sausage. With the crazy weather we get here, a guys may have multiple plate games in a row and in pretty ugly weather. I'll cut him some slack if he kicks packing them over a call.

In states where appearance is part of the ratings equation, he probably would suffer from those who are short sighted. Here in Illinois, high school contests are supposed to see umpires wearing navy blue shirts (or jackets)with an IHSA patch visible on the left sleeve. I see most preferring black and some don't have the patch. Amazingly, when playoff assignments come around they find their IHSA hats and shirt with patch though. Apparently, the coaches around here who rate them all year care more about quality than following official guidelines. While I would prefer them to be dressed appropriately, my partners were largely exceptional this year. That's a good trade.

UmpJM Sun Jun 05, 2011 08:45pm

Mike,

FYI, Illinois has adopted the "any color, as long as you match" by state adoption option specified in FED. At least for regular season.

The patch requirement has not been waived, though the IHSA patch looks fugly on any color other than Navy, IMO.

Black just looks "badder". Plus, it doesn't make my butt look big! :rolleyes:

JM

JRutledge Sun Jun 05, 2011 09:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 763538)
In states where appearance is part of the ratings equation, he probably would suffer from those who are short sighted. Here in Illinois, high school contests are supposed to see umpires wearing navy blue shirts (or jackets)with an IHSA patch visible on the left sleeve. I see most preferring black and some don't have the patch. Amazingly, when playoff assignments come around they find their IHSA hats and shirt with patch though. Apparently, the coaches around here who rate them all year care more about quality than following official guidelines. While I would prefer them to be dressed appropriately, my partners were largely exceptional this year. That's a good trade.

Considering that the coaches ratings are only a very small percentage of the overall rating system I am not sure that makes as much of a difference. Then again in all my years of working baseball in this state, I can only think of one guy that did not wear a patch and worked the post season. He did not work the next year (I think someone told on him).

Peace

yawetag Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 763540)
FYI, Illinois has adopted the "any color, as long as you match" by state adoption option specified in FED. At least for regular season.

Missouri needs to take a lesson from Illinois.