The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool FED Ejection. Proper or not?

So, I went to watch my nephew's Regional playoff game this afternoon.

The 2nd batter of the game was ejected for wearing jewelry. (One of the "livestrong" type rubber bracelets.)

I am reliably informed that the PU had mentioned the FED prohibition on wearing jewelry during the plate conference, and considered it his "warning".

Was the ejection in accordance with FED rules or not? What say you?

Thanks.

JM
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 07:49pm

The pre-game conference cannot be a place where official team warnings are given. A team warning is given upon discovery of a violation. The next violator is not ejected, but rather restricted to the bench. (i.e.: if a state association has a suspension policy for ejections, bench restrictions do not count.)

Wrong call.
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post

The 2nd batter of the game was ejected for wearing jewelry. (One of the "livestrong" type rubber bracelets.)

I am reliably informed that the PU had mentioned the FED prohibition on wearing jewelry during the plate conference, and considered it his "warning".

Thanks.

JM
sounds like a smitty to me
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

I don't work HS so I don't know the particular rule, but an umpire getting regional playoff assignments should know better than to EJ the second batter of the game for a LiveStrong bracelet in a playoff game.

Tell the kid his shoe is untied, then have him take it off.
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 06:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
I don't work HS so I don't know the particular rule, but an umpire getting regional playoff assignments should know better than to EJ the second batter of the game for a LiveStrong bracelet in a playoff game.

Tell the kid his shoe is untied, then have him take it off.
No, that's not the right way to do it. Give a team warning at that point and have the kid remove it. Don't just ignore the rule because the game is "important." Because it's important, the kid should know better. And when he removes it and you issue the warning, everyone else will see that and make sure you won't have to deal with it again.

I'd love to see the guy's plate meeting. Probably takes 10 minutes.
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
The pre-game conference cannot be a place where official team warnings are given. A team warning is given upon discovery of a violation. The next violator is not ejected, but rather restricted to the bench. (i.e.: if a state association has a suspension policy for ejections, bench restrictions do not count.)

Wrong call.
Agreed that the conference does not substitute for the warning, but 3-3-1c says "shall be ejected."
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

In the current Case Book, there are several examples of warnings being issued pre-game. On page 29, 3-3-1g cites just such an application.

Warnings can be issued before the game and infractions involving said cautionary can involve an ejection as a result.

For example, while checking helmets and bats, the umpire sees numerous players wearing prohibited items. At the time, he states that the rules prohibit them from being worn and encourages their removal. That suffices as a warning and following infractions can be dealt with whenever they occur.

Players and coaches involved in Regional playoffs should know the rules too.

Last edited by MikeStrybel; Sat May 28, 2011 at 08:28am.
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Mike,

While 3.3.1G does involve a pre-game warning, it also involves a pre-game infraction.

I can't find any rule or case play that suggests a warning is proper before an infraction occurs.

And certainly none that suggests a warning during the plate conference is proper.

JM
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm

Under NFHS Rules a "player" can only be restricted for one reason and THIS AIN'T IT!

T
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

I believe I've received an email memo from TASO in Texas that a warning at the plate meeting does not suffice.
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post

Thanks.

JM
Wow, ...

Sadly we had the same exact thing happen in state regional several years ago and we just about did not make it out of town.

F3 hits HR in his at bat and as he's coming home, PU sees jewelry and ejects him. Said same thing about warning in pre-game. This was in first inning.

Three man crew and both of us tried to get PU to change his mind, but this guy was an old smitty "know it all" and he would NOT change his mind.

The home team lost that game, in extra innings and F3 was their best player, it was not a good situation for an umpire to be in.

I went to our state officials post game and they agreed it was wrong, and sent a memo to all officials.

For years after, everytime I went to that school fans would bring up that play again.

I made it a point to never calle a game again with that official, and our governing body never let him call a HS playoff game again. He quit officiating a couple of years later, thankfully I should say.

Thanks
David
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
I believe I've received an email memo from TASO in Texas that a warning at the plate meeting does not suffice.

TASO did send out that memo. During the game if a player is wearing jewelry, have the player remove the jewelry and give a warning. Next player found wearing jewelry IS ejected.
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
TASO did send out that memo. During the game if a player is wearing jewelry, have the player remove the jewelry and give a warning. Next player found wearing jewelry IS ejected.
Splitting hairs but a TASO test question had no ejection for a player on the bench wearing jewelry. The player has to be "in the game". Of course you still remove the jewelry.
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Ya simply go over to the head coach and say, "you gonna take care of this or do you want me to?" All the jewlrey will come off and everyone gets to play ball. Yeah it's not the way the book says to do it but sometimes, you just have to umpire.
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

3.3.1d says shall not wear jewelry, PENALTY that follows says team warning and eject next player. No team warnings at plate meeting.

Read 3.3.1a and tell me you issue team warning every time this happens.