The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
It's not a wrong answer in OBR and NCAA (who just changed their rule back to basically the OBR rule).

It may or may not be a wrong answer in LL as their interp says if a bad throw draws a fielder into the path it's not obstruction.

It may be in FED.
Laying on top of a runner AFTER the ball has gotten away is most definitely obstruction.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
From the NCAA Coordinators Call 3/1/11:

b. F2 moving a step or two up the line + immediate act of fielding a throw + collision = no obstruction but the base runner is still held accountable for a flagrant or malicious slide

c. F2 chasing an errant throw + collision = obstruction.

In the OP, F6 "leaps" for the ball. My guess is that it was more like play (b) than play (c).

Some received an email on that as well. Rule interpretations are dynamic things.
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
From the NCAA Coordinators Call 3/1/11:

b. F2 moving a step or two up the line + immediate act of fielding a throw + collision = no obstruction but the base runner is still held accountable for a flagrant or malicious slide

c. F2 chasing an errant throw + collision = obstruction.

In the OP, F6 "leaps" for the ball. My guess is that it was more like play (b) than play (c).
I responded to Spence changing the OP. The video I mentioned was shown at the NCAA Chicago meetings in January. I specifically remarked what type of play I was discussing in my post. It was not the OP.

I received the NCAA and CBUA rule interps, as well. Evolving plays make baseball rules discussion dynamic, to borrow a term. There is no need to keep stating what someone else did. Spence changed the play and the ruling I provided is exactly what the NCAA wants called.
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Laying on top of a runner AFTER the ball has gotten away is most definitely obstruction.
But that's not the situation and comment that led to my response.
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
It's not a wrong answer in OBR and NCAA (who just changed their rule back to basically the OBR rule).

It may or may not be a wrong answer in LL as their interp says if a bad throw draws a fielder into the path it's not obstruction.

It may be in FED.
thanks Rich.
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wrong answer, thank you for playing. Here's your Rice-A-Roni.
Maybe you should re read the NCAA again... thanks ..and just so you know I do like Rice-A-Roni

Here is the rule so you dont have to go look it up.. Princess..

A.R. 1 - If the fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the throw, he may be considered "in the act of fielding the ball." So it looks like this is what happen in the OP

A.R. 2 - When a fielder has made an attempt to field a batted or thrown ball, has missed and is in pursuit of the ball, he may no longer be considered "in the act" of fielding.

Last edited by Umpmazza; Wed May 25, 2011 at 08:57pm.
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

A few of us had this discussion at the NCAA meetings in January. A person 'leaping to contain a thrown ball' is not occupying a position. He abandoned his position when he took to the air to catch an errant throw.

In the OP, the defensive miscue caused the fielder to end up on top of the runner. Penalizing those at fault would be the consideration. While this is HTBT, the description shows the runner sliding INTO the base when the fielder collides with him.
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
Princess..
Princess? What's your problem? I didn't insult you - why do you feel the need to insult me?

Quote:
A.R. 1 - If the fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the throw, he may be considered "in the act of fielding the ball." So it looks like this is what happen in the OP

A.R. 2 - When a fielder has made an attempt to field a batted or thrown ball, has missed and is in pursuit of the ball, he may no longer be considered "in the act" of fielding.
So, "F6 gets up to go after the ball and collides with the runner who is now up and attempting to go to 3rd." doesn't sound a little more like AR2 than AR1 to you? Sure does to me - hence the OBS ruling.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Honestly, sounds like UmpM and Rich are refering solely to the OP and not to the additional information the OPer gave. Which may explain why they are calling nothing and I'm calling OBS.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Princess? What's your problem? I didn't insult you - why do you feel the need to insult me?

So, "F6 gets up to go after the ball and collides with the runner who is now up and attempting to go to 3rd." doesn't sound a little more like AR2 than AR1 to you? Sure does to me - hence the OBS ruling.
well.. I was just getting back at you for the rice a roni comment.. I really didnt mean it in a bad way.. Im sorry.. was just having some fun..