The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Can I assist my fellow runner? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/70360-can-i-assist-my-fellow-runner.html)

mbyron Mon May 23, 2011 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 760522)
I've been taught the trailing runner must have his complete body past the leading runner.

+1

Passed is completely past, not adjacent or nearby.

MD Longhorn Mon May 23, 2011 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump29 (Post 760506)
If you look closely, the PU makes a pushing motion when explaining the call. Could this be the call - helping the runner by pushing ? Therefore BR out and R1 at 2.

Yes, I see that motion. However - that's not illegal. I hate umpires that invent rules. Truly sucks that they are doing it at the MLB level now.

kylejt Tue May 24, 2011 09:15am

What kills me is FOUR MLB umpires got together to make this call. You'd think one would know this non-rule. Nope.

Look, these fellows aren't the brightest guys in the world, granted. But they should at least know their trade. It ain't rocket surgery out there, boys.

Oh, and Tim McClelland need to retire. He's just awful, and blew a call the a couple nights later at second. And he can take Joe the fire hydrant West with him.

mbyron Tue May 24, 2011 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 760754)
What kills me is FOUR MLB umpires got together to make this call. You'd think one would know this non-rule. Nope.

I have to think that U1, whoever it was, came in and announced that BR had passed R1. Nobody else saw it, so they took that to be correct.

So conferencing wouldn't have changed that: they simply discussed why R1 should be brought back out and put on 2B (he wasn't forced, since BR was out for passing, and he wasn't tagged).

kylejt Tue May 24, 2011 10:10am

Watch Tim explain it to Buddy Black. They called the push, not a pass.

Plus, if it were a pass, R3 wouldn't have been returned to third. They called interference, which killed the play. No wait, coaches INT, would have been a live ball. Oh wait, if they're call in INT, why is R1 safe as second? Wait, what?

FUBAR, boys.

Altor Tue May 24, 2011 10:21am

In which case, why wouldn't the assisted runner be the one that is out? That's who would be out if it was the base coach pushing him.

Near as I can tell, not only did they make up a rule, they misapplied it.

mbyron Tue May 24, 2011 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 760780)
Watch Tim explain it to Buddy Black. They called the push, not a pass.

Plus, if it were a pass, R3 wouldn't have been returned to third. They called interference, which killed the play. No wait, coaches INT, would have been a live ball. Oh wait, if they're call in INT, why is R1 safe as second? Wait, what?

FUBAR, boys.

1. I did watch Tim. I saw him say "passing the runner."

2. There was no R3 on this play, which began with 1 out, R1 & R2.

3. R2 scored, and his run counted.

4. The call was passing the runner, BR is out. That removes the force on R1, who was safe at 2B because the defense didn't tag him.

5. Play resumed with 2 out and R2 rather than 2 out and R1, which is why Black didn't complain: he got a runner into scoring position out of it.

Once you grant the passing the runner call, they handled it absolutely correctly.

kylejt Tue May 24, 2011 10:54am

R2, you're correct.

No way did the BR pass R1. It wasn't even close.

As I recall, as that replay doesn't quite spin out that far, R2 is put back at third. You see Tim heading toward the dugout again as the replay ends.

mbyron Tue May 24, 2011 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 760793)
No way did the BR pass R1. It wasn't even close.

I agree: IMO U1 misapplied the rule concerning passing another runner.

All I'm saying is if you grant that what BR did counts as "passing," the rest of what they did was correct.

mbyron Tue May 24, 2011 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 760793)
As I recall, as that replay doesn't quite spin out that far, R2 is put back at third. You see Tim heading toward the dugout again as the replay ends.

I think Tim was heading toward the Mariner's dugout to explain the call to Wedge.

The Padres scored just one run in the game, in the ninth, and Ludwick (called out for passing the runner) had the RBI. So R2 (Denorfia) scored on this play.

jwwashburn Tue May 24, 2011 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 760754)
It ain't rocket surgery out there, boys.

Haha, I love this, My Uncle Allen used to say this one. Thanks for the smile!