The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 15, 2011, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Dead ball balk?

Quote:
5.02 While the ball is dead no player may be put out, no bases may be run and no runs may be scored,

5.11 After the ball is dead, play shall be resumed when the pitcher takes his place on the pitcher's plate with a new ball or the same ball in his possession and the plate umpire calls "Play." The plate umpire shall call "Play" as soon as the pitcher takes his place on his plate with the ball in his possession.

8.05(i) If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when the pitcher, without having the ball, stands on or astride the pitcher's plate or while off the plate, he feints a pitch.
Situation: OBR Rules. Runner on 3rd, no outs. Ball is dead via timeout or foul ball. Pitcher is given new ball by HP. While ball is still dead, infielder conference near, but not on the mound. F1 slips the ball to F5 unnoticed by anyone. As fielders return to position F5 has ball concealed in his glove. F1 takes place on rubber. Umpire calls "play". R3 takes lead and is then tagged by F5.

The correct call/action would be:

a) Since F1 did not have posession of the ball on the rubber, ball is still dead so umpire rules "no play".

b) Balk since F1 was standing on the rubber without the ball.

c) Do-over since umpire should never have called play to start with.

d) Other please explain.

Last edited by rbmartin; Sun May 15, 2011 at 07:27am. Reason: clarification
Old Sun May 15, 2011, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

A or C. Take your pick.
Old Sun May 15, 2011, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
A or C. Take your pick.
This. I don't see how they're different.
Old Sun May 15, 2011, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Yep,

Under all "real" rule codes it is impossible to successfully utilize the hidden ball trick after a dead ball situation.

T
Old Sun May 15, 2011, 11:37am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
Situation: OBR Rules. Runner on 3rd, no outs. Ball is dead via timeout or foul ball. Pitcher is given new ball by HP. While ball is still dead, infielder conference near, but not on the mound. F1 slips the ball to F5 unnoticed by anyone. As fielders return to position F5 has ball concealed in his glove. F1 takes place on rubber. Umpire calls "play". R3 takes lead and is then tagged by F5.

The correct call/action would be:

a) Since F1 did not have posession of the ball on the rubber, ball is still dead so umpire rules "no play".

b) Balk since F1 was standing on the rubber without the ball.

c) Do-over since umpire should never have called play to start with.

d) Other please explain.

A few years ago, I had a 12 yr old travel league game when the situation (after a foul ball) above occurred. The pitcher, evidently, had be told by his coach that he could not get on the Pitchering Plate without the ball; his reluctance to get on the PP led my partner and I to belive that he did not have the ball. I kept motioning the pitcher to get on the PP and he wouldn't, this went on for about 30 sec, and he was about to burst into tears. I then called Time and brought his coach out because I thought his pitcher was injured, . That enabled him to discretely get the ball into the pitcher's hands and away we went.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun May 15, 2011, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
A or C. Take your pick.
Yep
Old Sun May 15, 2011, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
This. I don't see how they're different.
A is the first letter of the alphabet and C is the third.

Actually the correct answer is a & c. However, in c you will probably also have to toss the defensive coach because you weren't paying attention.
Old Sun May 15, 2011, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

I knew A & C were basically the same. The reason I listed them separately was to gauge whether keeping my eye on the ball during a dead ball is something I should be more diligent in doing. I have to admit that during a dead ball I spend more time making sure the runners return to their respective bases and verifying that my clicker is current than watching the defensive players.
Old Sun May 15, 2011, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
A few years ago, I had a 12 yr old travel league game when the situation (after a foul ball) above occurred. The pitcher, evidently, had be told by his coach that he could not get on the Pitchering Plate without the ball; his reluctance to get on the PP led my partner and I to belive that he did not have the ball. I kept motioning the pitcher to get on the PP and he wouldn't, this went on for about 30 sec, and he was about to burst into tears. I then called Time and brought his coach out because I thought his pitcher was injured, . That enabled him to discretely get the ball into the pitcher's hands and away we went.

MTD, Sr.
Why? Time was already in effect.
Old Sun May 15, 2011, 03:17pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Why? Time was already in effect.

Rich:

You and I and every other sports official in the world knows that "time" was already in effect. That said, I think that you would agree that "those" on the dark side are not that smart and announcing "Time!" lets everybody know that something other than the resumption of play is about to begin. I suppose that I could of and should have just called for the DC to conference with me and come to think of it I am going to try that the next time something of this nature happens again.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon May 16, 2011, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Clicker??
Old Mon May 16, 2011, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenitall View Post
Clicker??
I'm sorry. For those of you in Rio Linda, my 4-function umpire indicator.
Old Mon May 16, 2011, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Rich:

You and I and every other sports official in the world knows that "time" was already in effect. That said, I think that you would agree that "those" on the dark side are not that smart and announcing "Time!" lets everybody know that something other than the resumption of play is about to begin. I suppose that I could of and should have just called for the DC to conference with me and come to think of it I am going to try that the next time something of this nature happens again.

MTD, Sr.
Try "Hey pitch, hustle up. You need to get on the rubber with the ball so I can make it live".