The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Lefty Move to First

I had a game the other day (FED) with a left-handed pitcher who picked off four runners. Here is what I saw and I want to be sure I didn't miss any balks. As F1 lifted his non-pivot foot his shoulders leaned toward the plate. He would then shift his momentum, step legally and throw to first. I did not call a balk on any of the pickoffs. I know this is a HTBT but did I miss something?
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99 View Post
I had a game the other day (FED) with a left-handed pitcher who picked off four runners. Here is what I saw and I want to be sure I didn't miss any balks. As F1 lifted his non-pivot foot his shoulders leaned toward the plate. He would then shift his momentum, step legally and throw to first. I did not call a balk on any of the pickoffs. I know this is a HTBT but did I miss something?
If any part of the pitcher moves toward the plate, he is committed to pitch to the batter. This is a balk with runners on. (6-2-4a,d)
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

I agree with mbyron however, HTBT is understating it if he is leaning towards home while all of his weight is on his back foot, pivot foot. Then again, I have seen some really freaky lefty moves that you swear are balks but can't determine why. And I know some officials believe that if it doesn't look right, then it has to be wrong. I try and judge if it is actually an infraction, which means with some leftys, who knows......?
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

First let me say I am an OBR guy and Fed could have a little different rule on this.
Having said that, Merely leaning toward home plate IMO does not necessarily mean the pitcher has to come home provided that a) His free foot does not cross the back edge of the rubber and b) his motion is not "a motion naturally associated with his pitch". I guess I would HTBT.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
if any part of the pitcher moves toward the plate, he is committed to pitch to the batter. This is a balk with runners on. (6-2-4a,d)
+1
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I agree with mbyron however, HTBT is understating it if he is leaning towards home while all of his weight is on his back foot, pivot foot. Then again, I have seen some really freaky lefty moves that you swear are balks but can't determine why. And I know some officials believe that if it doesn't look right, then it has to be wrong. I try and judge if it is actually an infraction, which means with some leftys, who knows......?
Well, you contradict yourself, you agree but then you have a different IF. Picture a RHP who picks up left leg and dips knee across the back side of rubber but not foot. Left shoulder will likely dip slightly toward home. Is this a lean? It was closer than it was prior to picking up the foot. I can picture a LHP doing same thing with opposite foot.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

The balk rules are the same for RHP and LHP. And the applicable provision is the same in all codes. This is a balk for failing to pitch to the batter.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Well, you contradict yourself, you agree but then you have a different IF. Picture a RHP who picks up left leg and dips knee across the back side of rubber but not foot. Left shoulder will likely dip slightly toward home. Is this a lean? It was closer than it was prior to picking up the foot. I can picture a LHP doing same thing with opposite foot.
"As F1 lifted his non-pivot foot his shoulders leaned toward the plate"

I didn't consider dipping the shoulder as a "lean "towards the plate and that why I said HTBT. If that is what he is saying though, then I might have 4 outs also.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The balk rules are the same for RHP and LHP. And the applicable provision is the same in all codes. This is a balk for failing to pitch to the batter.
I know of no mention of shoulder lean to indicate a balk. "Any natural movement associated with his delivery" is mentioned. Nobody delivers from the position he was in before he came set. I disagree with you, he was clearly not making a move to the plate IMHO.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know of no mention of shoulder lean to indicate a balk. "Any natural movement associated with his delivery" is mentioned. Nobody delivers from the position he was in before he came set. I disagree with you, he was clearly not making a move to the plate IMHO. You call it, I will not.
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I know of no mention of shoulder lean to indicate a balk. "Any natural movement associated with his delivery" is mentioned. Nobody delivers from the position he was in before he came set. I disagree with you, he was clearly not making a move to the plate IMHO. You call it, I will not.
But 6-2-4a does state it is a balk when the pitcher feints toward the batter, and I can see a shoulder lean to be interpreted this way, (HTBT, of course).