The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Interview with SEC/ACC Umpire

Interview with AJ Lostaglio. College Baseball Weekend Preview: Week 12 - ESPN on the bottom right hand side. The baseball questions:

ES: In game situations, what do you think is the toughest call you have to make?

A.J.: There's no doubt that the two calls that are always a major challenge are the check swing and the trap catch. Those two things are just real tough calls, you could almost flip a coin on most of them. Especially the trap ball catch in the outfield because there are so many variables that go into making that call. You've got to be stationary, you've got to have the proper angle, you've gotta have the proper distance. You can see a slow-motion replay and say, "Man, how could he miss that?" but when you're on the field of play, everything in that kind of call happens so fast.

ES: Is the use of instant replay for assisting with calls something you would be all right with in the future?

A.J.: Anything that shows the high percentage of times hard-working umpires are right, I'm in favor of. Also, we have an obligation to get the call correct, so why not utilize a tool like replay to help us in that regard? So yes, I'm certainly in favor of it.

ES: Just watching you out there, I can tell you're a gregarious guy, how much of a rapport do you have with players during a game?

A.J.: I think it's important to keep that neutral position and maintain a certain demeanor on the field. I'm never gonna buddy up to a player but you have to earn his respect. So you have to recognize a great play when you see one and let him know that. I might say, "Man, that was a great catch" or "That was a sweet play." When they realize you can salute their effort on the field but still integrate things that allow you to do your job with integrity, I think players respect you more.

ES: How much do you put up with before you eject a coach out of the game?

A.J.: There are some comments that get personal and involve profanity and those will get you tossed right away. Coaches know that. The last two ejections that I have had have come from coaches that were frankly just frustrated at their teams' performance and it was quite apparent they wanted to get run to light a fire under them. But it's not like it was years ago when you could read them the riot act and then they make the adjustment and we move on. Now they don't want you to look like the aggressor at all, so I've learned to take a step back and maintain my composure as often as I can and give them all the rope they need to hang themselves.

ES: The game I saw you work between Florida and Florida Atlantic earlier this year, it seemed like you were talking a lot with FAU's catcher, Mike Albaladejo.

A.J.: That's a good point. Catchers can be your best friend or your worst enemy and I think it's important to get them on your side and show them that you are working hard back there for them. And you want them to work hard for you. I've taken some shots from pitches in the dirt because you get a catcher that is laboring in the hot sun for six or seven innings and maybe they don't get down to block a ball late in the game. But I want them to know that there is still somebody behind them working hard all game long. Believe me, my mother appreciates it and my girlfriend appreciates it if they work hard to do their job back there too. (Laughs)