The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Jones knows the ground rules.

Baltimore Orioles center fielder Adam Jones (10) waits for an umpires ruling of a stuck ball under the pads of centerfield, giving Kansas City Royals' Mike Aviles a double and bringing Alcides Escobar back to third from scoring in the 8th inning during Wednesday's baseball game at Kauffman Stadium on May 4, 2011 in Kansas City, MO. John Sleezer/The Kansas City Star

=====

After a ball was hit in the gap by Aviles it became lodged underneath the padding in left center. Once seeing this Jones stopped and put up his hands. During this time the the runner that was on first and Aviles rounded the bases. It looked as if Aviles was going to get an inside the park homerun because Jones would not touch the ball and left his hands in the air. The Umpire ran out to left center and confirmed it a ground-rule double.

Jones made a heads up play on this by knowing the ground rules of the stadium. If he would have thrown up his hands and not have known the ground rules it would have tied up the game. O's go on to win the game 3-2.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 05:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Dykhoff View Post
Jones made a heads up play on this by knowing the ground rules of the stadium. If he would have thrown up his hands and not have known the ground rules it would have tied up the game. O's go on to win the game 3-2.
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | BAL@KC: Aviles' double gets stuck under outfield wall - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

This isn't a ground rule of the stadium. It's a rule-book two-base award.

7.05(f) Each runner including the batter-runner may, without liability to be put out, advance two bases, if a fair ball bounces or is deflected into the stands outside the first or third base foul lines; or if it goes through or under a field fence, or through or under a scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery or vines on the fence; or if it sticks in such fence, scoreboard, shrubbery or vines;
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Gee, thanks coach, next time I work the KC circuit, I will remember that tidbit about the stadium.

Thats in centerfield you said? I will note that.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Gee, thanks coach, next time I work the KC circuit, I will remember that tidbit about the stadium.

Thats in centerfield you said? I will note that.
Appreciate you being facetious for no reason. I was giving a recap of an officiating rule and a heads up play by a MLB player.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Good one. In the case of a batted ball lodged in the OF fence...as an umpire I know my 'heads up play' on that one. Keep my hands down! Don't kill it unless the player puts his hands up first. I am too far away to know for sure.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Ground rules for Oriole Park at Camden Yards;

DUGOUT AND PHOTOGRAPHERS' AREAS
Ball striking surfaces, pillars or facings surrounding dugouts: Out of Play.
OUTFIELD AREA
Fair bounding ball striking railing above cement wall down right field line in foul territory: In Play.
Batted ball in flight striking grounds crew shed roof in right field and rebounding onto playing field: Home Run.

Ground rules for all MLB Parks;

The Commissioner's Office has issued the following Universal Ground Rules for use in all Major League ballparks this season. Ground Rules pertaining to individual parks are posted separately in those parks. U.S. Cellular Field, Kauffman Stadium and Yankee Stadium currently do not have ground rules other than the Universal Ground Rules listed below.

Ball on the top step (lip) of the dugout is in play.
No equipment is permitted to be left on the top step (lip) of the dugout. If a ball hits equipment left on the top step it is dead.
A player is not permitted to step or go into a dugout to make a catch.
A player is permitted to reach into a dugout to make a catch. If a player makes a catch outside the dugout and the player's momentum carries him into the dugout, then the catch is allowed and the ball remains alive as long as the player does not fall while in the dugout. See Rule 6.05(a).
A batted ball in flight can be caught between or under railings and around screens.
A catch may be made on the field tarp.
Batted or thrown ball lodging in the rotating signage behind home plate or along first base or third base stands is out of play.
Batted or thrown ball resting on the rotating signage behind home plate or along first base or third base stands is in play.
The facings of railings surrounding the dugout and photographers areas are in play.
Any cameras or microphones permanently attached on railings are treated as part of the railings and are in play.
Any recessed railings or poles that are in the dugout and photographers areas are out of play and should be marked with red to mark them out of play.
Robotic cameras attached to the facing of the backstop screen are considered part of the screen.
A batted ball striking the backstop camera is considered a dead ball.
A thrown ball striking the backstop camera is considered in play.
A ball striking the guy wires that support the backstop is a dead ball.
A ball lodging behind or under canvas on field tarp is out of play.
A ball striking the field tarp and rebounding onto the playing field is in play.
No chairs can be brought out of the dugout or bullpen and onto the playing field.
All yellow lines are in play.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Viverito View Post
Good one. In the case of a batted ball lodged in the OF fence...as an umpire I know my 'heads up play' on that one. Keep my hands down! Don't kill it unless the player puts his hands up first. I am too far away to know for sure.
I don't kill it at all, Chris. If it's lodged, the ball is dead by rule without me killing it, and we put the runners back. If not, it's a live ball.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Appreciate you being facetious for no reason. I was giving a recap of an officiating rule and a heads up play by a MLB player.
But, most of us (99.9% of those here) know the rule and the application and would apply it without the LARGE picture and cut-and-paste of the story. I, too, am a little confused by why you posted it. Heck, you could post "jenkins takes called third strike to end inning" and post the rules about when a batter is out and when a (half) inning is over.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I don't kill it at all, Chris. If it's lodged, the ball is dead by rule without me killing it, and we put the runners back. If not, it's a live ball.
Agree. I rule on it.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 11:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
But, most of us (99.9% of those here) know the rule and the application and would apply it without the LARGE picture and cut-and-paste of the story. I, too, am a little confused by why you posted it. Heck, you could post "jenkins takes called third strike to end inning" and post the rules about when a batter is out and when a (half) inning is over.
He posted it for the exact same reason that he cites his resume in every single post that he makes.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
He posted it for the exact same reason that he cites his resume in every single post that he makes.
It is called a signature (Auto added to all messages).
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 11:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quote:
It is called a signature (Auto added to all messages).
JR knows what a signature is, and the fact that it's a signature doesn't discount the proposed intent.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 12:33pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Did you catch the Southern California reference?
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Viverito View Post
Don't kill it even if the player does put his hands up. Let things play out then go check. If it's lodged - put folks back. If it isn't the play stands. But don't let the player make the call.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Mark Reynolds knows the rules

Savvy Mark Reynolds, after swinging and missing the pitch on a 2-2 count instantly realized that he now had three strikes. Drawing from his knowledge of the rules, Reynolds concluded that he was "out" and, without direction from the umpire, went to his dugout and sat down.