The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Jones knows the ground rules. (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/68932-jones-knows-ground-rules.html)

Coach Dykhoff Wed May 04, 2011 10:36pm

Jones knows the ground rules.

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2...filiate.81.jpg

Baltimore Orioles center fielder Adam Jones (10) waits for an umpires ruling of a stuck ball under the pads of centerfield, giving Kansas City Royals' Mike Aviles a double and bringing Alcides Escobar back to third from scoring in the 8th inning during Wednesday's baseball game at Kauffman Stadium on May 4, 2011 in Kansas City, MO. John Sleezer/The Kansas City Star

=====

After a ball was hit in the gap by Aviles it became lodged underneath the padding in left center. Once seeing this Jones stopped and put up his hands. During this time the the runner that was on first and Aviles rounded the bases. It looked as if Aviles was going to get an inside the park homerun because Jones would not touch the ball and left his hands in the air. The Umpire ran out to left center and confirmed it a ground-rule double.

Jones made a heads up play on this by knowing the ground rules of the stadium. If he would have thrown up his hands and not have known the ground rules it would have tied up the game. O's go on to win the game 3-2.

yawetag Thu May 05, 2011 05:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Dykhoff (Post 756074)
Jones made a heads up play on this by knowing the ground rules of the stadium. If he would have thrown up his hands and not have known the ground rules it would have tied up the game. O's go on to win the game 3-2.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | BAL@KC: Aviles' double gets stuck under outfield wall - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

This isn't a ground rule of the stadium. It's a rule-book two-base award.

7.05(f) Each runner including the batter-runner may, without liability to be put out, advance two bases, if a fair ball bounces or is deflected into the stands outside the first or third base foul lines; or if it goes through or under a field fence, or through or under a scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery or vines on the fence; or if it sticks in such fence, scoreboard, shrubbery or vines;

jicecone Thu May 05, 2011 07:17am

Gee, thanks coach, next time I work the KC circuit, I will remember that tidbit about the stadium.

Thats in centerfield you said? I will note that.

Coach Dykhoff Thu May 05, 2011 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 756168)
Gee, thanks coach, next time I work the KC circuit, I will remember that tidbit about the stadium.

Thats in centerfield you said? I will note that.

Appreciate you being facetious for no reason. I was giving a recap of an officiating rule and a heads up play by a MLB player.

Chris Viverito Thu May 05, 2011 09:55am

Good one. In the case of a batted ball lodged in the OF fence...as an umpire I know my 'heads up play' on that one. Keep my hands down! Don't kill it unless the player puts his hands up first. I am too far away to know for sure.

Forest Ump Thu May 05, 2011 09:56am

Ground rules for Oriole Park at Camden Yards;

DUGOUT AND PHOTOGRAPHERS' AREAS
Ball striking surfaces, pillars or facings surrounding dugouts: Out of Play.
OUTFIELD AREA
Fair bounding ball striking railing above cement wall down right field line in foul territory: In Play.
Batted ball in flight striking grounds crew shed roof in right field and rebounding onto playing field: Home Run.

Ground rules for all MLB Parks;

The Commissioner's Office has issued the following Universal Ground Rules for use in all Major League ballparks this season. Ground Rules pertaining to individual parks are posted separately in those parks. U.S. Cellular Field, Kauffman Stadium and Yankee Stadium currently do not have ground rules other than the Universal Ground Rules listed below.

Ball on the top step (lip) of the dugout is in play.
No equipment is permitted to be left on the top step (lip) of the dugout. If a ball hits equipment left on the top step it is dead.
A player is not permitted to step or go into a dugout to make a catch.
A player is permitted to reach into a dugout to make a catch. If a player makes a catch outside the dugout and the player's momentum carries him into the dugout, then the catch is allowed and the ball remains alive as long as the player does not fall while in the dugout. See Rule 6.05(a).
A batted ball in flight can be caught between or under railings and around screens.
A catch may be made on the field tarp.
Batted or thrown ball lodging in the rotating signage behind home plate or along first base or third base stands is out of play.
Batted or thrown ball resting on the rotating signage behind home plate or along first base or third base stands is in play.
The facings of railings surrounding the dugout and photographers areas are in play.
Any cameras or microphones permanently attached on railings are treated as part of the railings and are in play.
Any recessed railings or poles that are in the dugout and photographers areas are out of play and should be marked with red to mark them out of play.
Robotic cameras attached to the facing of the backstop screen are considered part of the screen.
A batted ball striking the backstop camera is considered a dead ball.
A thrown ball striking the backstop camera is considered in play.
A ball striking the guy wires that support the backstop is a dead ball.
A ball lodging behind or under canvas on field tarp is out of play.
A ball striking the field tarp and rebounding onto the playing field is in play.
No chairs can be brought out of the dugout or bullpen and onto the playing field.
All yellow lines are in play.

mbyron Thu May 05, 2011 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Viverito (Post 756249)
Good one. In the case of a batted ball lodged in the OF fence...as an umpire I know my 'heads up play' on that one. Keep my hands down! Don't kill it unless the player puts his hands up first. I am too far away to know for sure.

I don't kill it at all, Chris. If it's lodged, the ball is dead by rule without me killing it, and we put the runners back. If not, it's a live ball.

bob jenkins Thu May 05, 2011 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Dykhoff (Post 756243)
Appreciate you being facetious for no reason. I was giving a recap of an officiating rule and a heads up play by a MLB player.

But, most of us (99.9% of those here) know the rule and the application and would apply it without the LARGE picture and cut-and-paste of the story. I, too, am a little confused by why you posted it. Heck, you could post "jenkins takes called third strike to end inning" and post the rules about when a batter is out and when a (half) inning is over.

Chris Viverito Thu May 05, 2011 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 756263)
I don't kill it at all, Chris. If it's lodged, the ball is dead by rule without me killing it, and we put the runners back. If not, it's a live ball.

Agree. I rule on it.

Jurassic Referee Thu May 05, 2011 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 756266)
But, most of us (99.9% of those here) know the rule and the application and would apply it without the LARGE picture and cut-and-paste of the story. I, too, am a little confused by why you posted it. Heck, you could post "jenkins takes called third strike to end inning" and post the rules about when a batter is out and when a (half) inning is over.

He posted it for the exact same reason that he cites his resume in every single post that he makes. :)

Coach Dykhoff Thu May 05, 2011 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 756278)
He posted it for the exact same reason that he cites his resume in every single post that he makes. :)

It is called a signature (Auto added to all messages).

Adam Thu May 05, 2011 11:36am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Dykhoff (Post 756280)
It is called a signature (Auto added to all messages).

JR knows what a signature is, and the fact that it's a signature doesn't discount the proposed intent.

Welpe Thu May 05, 2011 12:33pm

Quote:

Did you catch the Southern California reference? ;)

Rich Ives Thu May 05, 2011 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Viverito (Post 756249)

Don't kill it even if the player does put his hands up. Let things play out then go check. If it's lodged - put folks back. If it isn't the play stands. But don't let the player make the call.

MrUmpire Thu May 05, 2011 09:00pm

Mark Reynolds knows the rules

Savvy Mark Reynolds, after swinging and missing the pitch on a 2-2 count instantly realized that he now had three strikes. Drawing from his knowledge of the rules, Reynolds concluded that he was "out" and, without direction from the umpire, went to his dugout and sat down.

http://blog.ticketchest.com/wp-conte...e-out-king.jpg