The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Fair or Foul (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/68186-fair-foul.html)

clevbrown Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:24pm

Fair or Foul

I would not normally ask this question because I feel I have it correct and the rule book backs me, but I am being questioned by an experienced high school baseball umpire and I want to make sure I have it right. So after reading the rule books, I am going to the "Experts" on this web site to confirm what I think or let you all convince me I am wrong.

This is NFHS Baseball but I believe it is the same answer for all levels of softball and baseball.

Is this statement true or false: A batted ball that lands without being touched in the batter's box is always a foul ball.

I believe this is false. There is a space in the batters box on the pitcher side and the home plate side (front, inside) that is in fair territory. I am being told the entire batter box is considered in foul teritory, but I have looked at the NFHS baseball, ASA SOftball, and Babe Ruth Baseball rule books and I find nothing to support this claim.

NFHS states:
A foul is a batted ball
a. which settels on foul territory between home and first base or between home and third base or
b. that bounds past first or third base on or over foul territory or
c. that first falls on foul territory beyond first or third base or
d. that while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or a player or an object foreign to the natural ground or
e. touches the ground after inadvertantly being declared foul by an umpire.

Am I right or not?

DG Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:46pm

There is a small portion of the batter's box that is in fair territory. If the ball should be batted and land and stop in that Bermuda Triangle it should be ruled fair. Will not see this happen very often, don't think I have ever.

If a ball should be batted and strike the runner in this area, it should be ruled foul.

Simply The Best Wed Apr 27, 2011 01:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 753643)
There is a small portion of the batter's box that is in fair territory.

Small but very meaningful.
Quote:

If the ball should be batted and land and stop in that Bermuda Triangle it should be ruled fair.
Obliviously :p
Quote:

Will not see this happen very often, don't think I have ever.
With experience, Grasshopper ;), you shall. I have seen this several times.:)
Quote:

If a ball should be batted and strike the runner in this area, it should be ruled foul.
:confused: A fair ball is ruled foul because the advancing runner is touched by it?

Rita C Wed Apr 27, 2011 01:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevbrown (Post 753628)
I would not normally ask this question because I feel I have it correct and the rule book backs me, but I am being questioned by an experienced high school baseball umpire and I want to make sure I have it right. So after reading the rule books, I am going to the "Experts" on this web site to confirm what I think or let you all convince me I am wrong.

This is NFHS Baseball but I believe it is the same answer for all levels of softball and baseball.

Is this statement true or false: A batted ball that lands without being touched in the batter's box is always a foul ball.

I believe this is false. There is a space in the batters box on the pitcher side and the home plate side (front, inside) that is in fair territory. I am being told the entire batter box is considered in foul teritory, but I have looked at the NFHS baseball, ASA SOftball, and Babe Ruth Baseball rule books and I find nothing to support this claim.

NFHS states:
A foul is a batted ball
a. which settels on foul territory between home and first base or between home and third base or
d. that while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or a player or an object foreign to the natural ground or

Am I right or not?

You are correct. It's just that a batted ball that hits a batter who is still in the box, is considered to be foul, even if it hits a foot in the fair portion of the box. This is by convention.

Your friend has confused things a bit.

Rita

ozzy6900 Wed Apr 27, 2011 06:47am

Quote:

NFHS states:
A foul is a batted ball

Am I right or not?

Yes, there is a small portion of the batter's box in fair territory. Now, if you are calling the pitch (PU) or watching the offer of a swing (BU), neither of you are going to see the ball hit this tiny area. Now, if the coach comes out saying that the ball may have hit the fair area, you simply say, "Coach, in my opinion, the ball hit in the box, foul.". Remember, yours is the opinion that counts. Also, tell your "learned, experienced" umpire friend that he should spend more time watching the pitch!

bob jenkins Wed Apr 27, 2011 06:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply The Best (Post 753677)
A fair ball is ruled foul because the advancing runner is touched by it?

A batted ball which hits the batter in the box is foul, even if it hits the batter in/over the "fair" portion of the batter's box.

MD Longhorn Wed Apr 27, 2011 08:38am

Quote:

I believe this is false.

You are correct, sir.

MD Longhorn Wed Apr 27, 2011 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 753643)

Batter, not runner.

MD Longhorn Wed Apr 27, 2011 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 753710)
Yes, there is a small portion of the batter's box in fair territory. Now, if you are calling the pitch (PU) or watching the offer of a swing (BU), neither of you are going to see the ball hit this tiny area. Now, if the coach comes out saying that the ball may have hit the fair area, you simply say, "Coach, in my opinion, the ball hit in the box, foul.". Remember, yours is the opinion that counts. Also, tell your "learned, experienced" umpire friend that he should spend more time watching the pitch!

You are always dead on... but not this time. I can't even follow what you're saying here. It is readily easy to see where a ball that has landed untouched. If this ball is still moving, then it doesn't matter at all whether the ball first hit in the Bermuda Triangle at all. He's obviously referring to a ball that has stopped there.

MD Longhorn Wed Apr 27, 2011 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 753712)
A batted ball which hits the batter in the box is foul, even if it hits the batter in/over the "fair" portion of the batter's box.

I hate defending STB, but DG wrote "runner", not batter or batter-runner - it is to this STB was making his tongue in cheek remark.

mbyron Wed Apr 27, 2011 08:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 753742)
Batter, not runner.

Both, actually. :)

bob jenkins Wed Apr 27, 2011 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 753744)
I hate defending STB, but DG wrote "runner", not batter or batter-runner - it is to this STB was making his tongue in cheek remark.

If that was the joke, I missed it and I apologize.

But, the batter becomes a runner after hitting a (fair?) ball, so the statement was correct.

As long as we all know the rule / interp, I'll ignore the semantics (this time)

Rich Ives Wed Apr 27, 2011 09:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C (Post 753680)
You are correct. It's just that a batted ball that hits a batter who is still in the box, is considered to be foul, even if it hits a foot in the fair portion of the box. This is by convention.
Your friend has confused things a bit.

Rita

OBR was updated to include this in the rule.

Rita C Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 753756)
OBR was updated to include this in the rule.

Good to hear. There are quite a few of these small "changes" in the OBR but I haven't got a paper copy of the new.

Rita

Simply The Best Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:29am

Originally Posted by mbcrowder http://forum.officiating.com/images/...s/viewpost.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 753750)
If that was the joke, I missed it and I apologize.

No worries, Bob, just give yourself a 24 hour timeout. :D