The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Sign not taken from the pitcher's plate (NFHS) (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/67830-sign-not-taken-pitchers-plate-nfhs.html)

jdmara Thu Apr 21, 2011 08:58pm

Sign not taken from the pitcher's plate (NFHS)

Gentleman-

How do you rule when the pitcher takes signs from the catcher when not on the pitcher's plate?

-Josh

UmpJM Thu Apr 21, 2011 09:15pm

I answered "other", so I guess I've got some 'splainin' to do.

I do not believe there is a FED rule that prohibits a pitcher from taking "signs" while off the rubber.

I do think there is one that says he "must" after engaging.

Those are two different things. If he fails the 2nd (i.e., the actual rule) I would likely kill it and instruct him to pitch properly.

JM

JJ Thu Apr 21, 2011 09:25pm

You forgot option #3 - "Ignore". I ignore. I don't know for sure IF he's taking signs while off the rubber, I'm not sure if whatever the catcher is doing is GIVING signs to the pitcher while he's off the rubber, and I don't see any advantage for the pitcher even if he IS taking signs off the rubber - if I see him engage and then quick pitch, I penalize the quick pitch.
This is a "looking for boogers" issue...JMO

JJ

JRutledge Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 752444)
You forgot option #3 - "Ignore". I ignore. I don't know for sure IF he's taking signs while off the rubber, I'm not sure if whatever the catcher is doing is GIVING signs to the pitcher while he's off the rubber, and I don't see any advantage for the pitcher even if he IS taking signs off the rubber - if I see him engage and then quick pitch, I penalize the quick pitch.
This is a "looking for boogers" issue...JMO

JJ

Yep.

Peace

pastordoug Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:36pm

FED rule requires "shall" 6-1-1 pitcher to take signs from the catcher at the start of the "pitching regulation" which begins when he "intentionally contacts the pitching rubber." In the OP there is nothing against him doing that. With that said imo unless the pitchers actions results in taking longer than allotted time to deliver ball (20 seconds) or is quick pitching I am not going there.

Forest Ump Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:44pm

My answer is other. As in do a search on here. This question comes up about every three months.

justanotherblue Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:16am

As long as he isn't quick pitching, leave it alone.

Simply The Best Fri Apr 22, 2011 04:41am

What signs? :confused:

mbyron Fri Apr 22, 2011 07:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 752441)
Gentleman-

How do you rule when the pitcher takes signs from the catcher when not on the pitcher's plate?

-Josh

Whom are you asking? :confused:

The rules prescribe no penalty. The purpose of the provision is to prevent a quick pitch, which is an illegal pitch. As long as F1 isn't in the vicinity of a quick pitch, I probably won't see it. If the O coach complains, I'll tell him to take his signs on the rubber, and then won't see it.

If he's close to a quick pitch, I'll tell F2 to get him to slow down so that he doesn't. And if he does quick pitch, I'll address that when it happens.

Frankly, I've never had a problem with this, so I don't worry much about it.

jicecone Fri Apr 22, 2011 07:24am

I have consistently applied the following officiating mechanic concering this topic::):confused::eek::mad::rolleyes::cool::p;):(

ozzy6900 Fri Apr 22, 2011 08:04am

I answered "Other" because you didn't have a "Do Nothing" choice.

yawetag Fri Apr 22, 2011 08:26am

In Fed, as long as he's simulating taking signs while on the rubber, I've got nothing off the rubber.

Then again, I've still got nothing off the rubber, but a balk when he doesn't simulate them on the rubber.

jdmara Fri Apr 22, 2011 09:46am

I guess I should probably explain the reason for the question. In the past I have prescribed by the theory that there is no penalty listed. Specifically in our state letter to umpires the director of officials, in bold, stated "Pitcher must take his sign with pivot foot in contact with plate." Personally, I would like to know the reason for listing this but it wasn't a huge concern for me. Last night I was looking up something else in the BRD and ran across the section on this topic about taking signs off the pitcher's plate. According to the BRD, the penalty is a ball/balk.

-Josh

kylejt Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:07am

It's just a quick pitch prevention tool. Use it as such, and don't be the OOO.

For those non-believers: If a catcher points to first for pick-off, as F1 is climbing the hill, is that a sign? Yup.

mbyron Fri Apr 22, 2011 06:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 752543)
In Fed, as long as he's simulating taking signs while on the rubber, I've got nothing off the rubber.

Then again, I've still got nothing off the rubber, but a balk when he doesn't simulate them on the rubber.

Since no rule requires him to take a sign, what justifies demanding that he "simulate" taking one?