The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Restricting a Player to the Bench v. Ejecting (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/67650-restricting-player-bench-v-ejecting.html)

njdevs00cup Tue Apr 19, 2011 04:36pm

Restricting a Player to the Bench v. Ejecting

Just wanted to get your feedback regarding an ejection in a high school game.

As a defensive player was leaving the field (following a hard, but legal slide into second base), he yelled, "Show some f***ing respect!" in the direction of the offensive team. He clearly yelled this loud enough for both the offensive team and spectators to hear, as both reacted to the comment. The defensive player who made the comment was ejected from the game. In your judgement, was this the correct decision or should he have been restricted to the bench? Thank you.

Rich Tue Apr 19, 2011 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevs00cup (Post 751872)

As a defensive player was leaving the field (following a hard, but legal slide into second base), he yelled, "Show some f***ing respect!" in the direction of the offensive team. He clearly yelled this loud enough for both the offensive team and spectators to hear, as both reacted to the comment. The defensive player who made the comment was ejected from the game. In your judgement, was this the correct decision or should he have been restricted to the bench? Thank you.

Unless your state has specific instructions that allow restriction of players, it's not an option under NFHS rules.

Ump Rube Tue Apr 19, 2011 04:47pm

I cannot think off the top of my head any situations that are best served by restricting a player/coach over ejecting.

I do so when stated to by the rules, but just about anything that you would do to warrant a reaction, warrants an ejection.

jwwashburn Tue Apr 19, 2011 04:47pm

As Rich said, there might be a provisin in some states for restriction to the bench...

An F bomb yelled at the opposing team in a High School game?

Why in the world would you want that kid near the field for the rest of the game? Ejection is the right call.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Apr 19, 2011 05:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ump rube (Post 751875)
i cannot think off the top of my head any situations that are best served by restricting a player/coach over ejecting.

I do so when stated to by the rules, but just about anything that you would do to warrant a reaction, warrants an ejection.

+ 1

mbyron Tue Apr 19, 2011 06:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 751874)
Unless your state has specific instructions that allow restriction of players, it's not an option under NFHS rules.

+1

I've never heard of a state that allows restricting a player.

UmpJM Tue Apr 19, 2011 07:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 751908)
+1

I've never heard of a state that allows restricting a player.

Well, other than for being an illegal sub or CR.

JM

Rich Tue Apr 19, 2011 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 751915)
Well, other than for being an illegal sub or CR.

JM

You simply can't help being pedantic, can you? :rolleyes:

UmpJM Tue Apr 19, 2011 07:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 751917)
You simply can't help being pedantic, can you? :rolleyes:

I plead guilty and beg the court's indulgence. :o

JM

Rich Tue Apr 19, 2011 07:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 751920)
I plead guilty and beg the court's indulgence. :o

JM

Eh, I'm just cranky looking at the snow/sleet/hail on the ground.

BretMan Tue Apr 19, 2011 08:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 751876)
Why in the world would you want that kid near the field for the rest of the game? Ejection is the right call.

We're specifically told that for high school ball that an ejected player has to stay in the dugout. You can't send him off "out of sight" like you can a coach because we're dealing with students that can't be left on their own unsupervised.

I might not personally want him near the field, but I don't really have much choice in the matter.

DG Tue Apr 19, 2011 09:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevs00cup (Post 751872)

Here in my state, there are ejections (7 things) and restrictions (everything else). Ejections come with stiff penalties for players and coaches and form to fill out and submit for umpires. Restrictions to dugout are that game only and no forms to fill out for umpires. This player's actions would result in ejection, profanity one of the 7.

jwwashburn Tue Apr 19, 2011 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 751938)
We're specifically told that for high school ball that an ejected player has to stay in the dugout. You can't send him off "out of sight" like you can a coach because we're dealing with students that can't be left on their own unsupervised.

I might not personally want him near the field, but I don't really have much choice in the matter.

I have not done HS ball in several years. I guess I was remembering coaches. I mostly tossed them. A few kids that I ejected throughout the years were removed by the Athletic Director/Principal, etc...I had a few kids involved fights sent to sit on the bus by their coach.

DG Tue Apr 19, 2011 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 751952)
I had a few kids involved fights sent to sit on the bus by their coach.

A coach would have to sit on bus with him here. Or, parent take home. Assume away game since there is a bus, but some home games are played at sites both teams arrive by bus. A school administrator could also sit on bus with the ejected player. They are not to be left unattended.

jwwashburn Tue Apr 19, 2011 09:52pm

Bus driver was there...they always sat there for the whole DH...