Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
One question about this situation.

Can the batter step ACROSS home plate to switch sides, or does he have to go behind the catcher?

I was told batter cannot step across home plate during play!
He can't interfere with the catcher's attempt to make a play, but if nothing's going on he can step across the plate.
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Question

...and what exactly, would the reasoning behind that prohibition be?
I don't recall seeing that wriiten in any rule book that I've read. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me soon enough.
I don't care if he does a pirouette on the plate as long as he doesn't do it when the pitcher is ready to deliver a pitch.
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

This is easy... it just happened to me in a game. As already written in previous responses, there is no clear written rule on restricting a batter to bat the entire at bat from one side or the other. Can the batter switch sides... 1, 2, 3... times per at bat? No written rule. Common sense says no. The pitcher is required by rule to pitch either as a right or left hander so... the batter should be required to bat from either the right or left side period. The batter should not be allowed to switch sides unless a relief pitcher comes in.

The rule book is not at all even close to being clear on this situation, we have to use our common sense and good judgement in this situation. Batter can't change sides just as a pitcher can't. Rule 6.1.1(note) The best rule I find for the batter is 7.1.1 The batter "shall take his position within a batters box." Again common sense... a meaning one.

Several have said that a batter can change sides one time... where in the world does that come from?

Bottom line... we all have to make the call when it happens. Don't let the game become a "game." If the pitcher is required to pitch either right or left handed then it's only fair that the batter commit to batting either right or left handed!!! In that situation the pitcher should commit first to pitching right or left handed then the batter choose right or left.

My 2 cents worth.
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

NO!!! The pitcher has to pitch either right or left handed... so the batter must bat either right or left handed.
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 05:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtchesty
This is easy... it just happened to me in a game. As already written in previous responses, there is no clear written rule on restricting a batter to bat the entire at bat from one side or the other. Can the batter switch sides... 1, 2, 3... times per at bat? No written rule. Common sense says no. The pitcher is required by rule to pitch either as a right or left hander so... the batter should be required to bat from either the right or left side period. The batter should not be allowed to switch sides unless a relief pitcher comes in.

The rule book is not at all even close to being clear on this situation, we have to use our common sense and good judgement in this situation. Batter can't change sides just as a pitcher can't. Rule 6.1.1(note) The best rule I find for the batter is 7.1.1 The batter "shall take his position within a batters box." Again common sense... a meaning one.

Several have said that a batter can change sides one time... where in the world does that come from?

Bottom line... we all have to make the call when it happens. Don't let the game become a "game." If the pitcher is required to pitch either right or left handed then it's only fair that the batter commit to batting either right or left handed!!! In that situation the pitcher should commit first to pitching right or left handed then the batter choose right or left.

My 2 cents worth.
Obviously the situation has been considered by those that make the rules and they chose to only address the pitcher. It concerns me when umpires start making up rules because that's the way they think it should be in the name of "common sense" or "protecting the game".

Interpret and enforce the rules... don't create them.
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Follett

...and what exactly, would the reasoning behind that prohibition be?
I don't recall seeing that wriiten in any rule book that I've read. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me soon enough.
I don't care if he does a pirouette on the plate as long as he doesn't do it when the pitcher is ready to deliver a pitch.
Maybe it was while the pitcher is on the rubber ready to pitch and the batter switches sides.

Would the batter be out in that situation?
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Well of course the batter would be out in that situation. Did you not understand my post?
The point I was making: Why would the batter have to walk around behind the catcher, as opposed to in front of him (and the plate), if his switching sides of the plate was legal in all other aspects, AND that would include the pitcher not being on the rubber and ready to deliver a pitch.
Old Sat May 31, 2003, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

NO WAY!!! The batter can't change boxes unless a relief pitcher comes in. Onece the batter starts from one side he stays... just as the pitcher must choose to pitch right/left handed. No written rule, just common sense and good game management. Don't let a batter play games with switching sides. The rule/case book should address this but... since they don't it's up to our good judgement to keep the game going and not allowing it to happen. The pitcher can't change throuwing hands... the batter can't change batters boxes, it's that simple.
Old Sat May 31, 2003, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

What play? If no runner is moving, and the pitcher is not in position to pitch, and/or the catcher isn't in position, there is no play.

Bob
Old Sat May 31, 2003, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtchesty
NO WAY!!! The batter can't change boxes unless a relief pitcher comes in. Onece the batter starts from one side he stays... just as the pitcher must choose to pitch right/left handed. No written rule, just common sense and good game management.
It might be "common sense" but it's not what the rules say -- if it's specifically stated as being illegal to switch when th epitcher is in a position to pitch, doesn't that make it pretty clear that it's legal at other itmes?

Old Sat May 31, 2003, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

NO WAY!!! The batter can't change boxes unless a relief pitcher comes in. Onece the batter starts from one side he stays... just as the pitcher must choose to pitch right/left handed. No written rule, just common sense and good game management. Don't let a batter play games with switching sides. The rule/case book should address this but... since they don't it's up to our good judgement to keep the game going and not allowing it to happen. The pitcher can't change throuwing hands... the batter can't change batters boxes, it's that simple.

Here's something simple: You're mistaken...100%