LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

What if...

Fed rules.

7-2-5 Penalty

The batter shall not:

Interfere with the catchers fielding or throwing

If the pitch is a 3rd strike and in the umpires judgment interference prevents a possible double play (additional outs) interference prevents a possible double play (additional outs). two may be ruled out.

1 - 2 count. R1 stealing 2d. B2 swings and misses, then interferes with F2's attempt to retire R1. Umpire judges a possible double play.

Ruling: B2 is out for strike 3. R1 is out for interference.

Question: Is there a scenario of this sitch where the R1 would not be called out for the interference?
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

I think you mean 7-3-5 Penalty.

B1 causes the interference however, because B1 is already out then the umpire can also call out the runner being played on if the umpire judges a possible double play.

R1 just ends up being called out for the batters interference. R1 has not comitted any infraction but the batter has, and he has struck out also..

Question: Is there a scenario of this sitch where the R1 would not be called out for the interference?

For the batters inteference? Only if the umpires judges that a double play was not possible. Eg. Batter strikes out and crosses in front of catcher. Catcher goes to take the ball out of his glove to throw and drops the ball.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

R1 would not be out if B had a 1-1 count when this happened - would he? B out, R1 returns...

Someone tell me if lost my mind.

Otherwise, I agree - strike 3 B out and R1 out b/c of INT.

Last edited by ManInBlue; Thu Mar 24, 2011 at 09:08pm.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I think you mean 7-3-5 Penalty.

For the batters inteference? Only if the umpires judges that a double play was not possible. Eg. Batter strikes out and crosses in front of catcher. Catcher goes to take the ball out of his glove to throw and drops the ball.
Correct. I did mean 7-3-5 penalty.

As for your answer 'only if'...it does not apply to my sitch. The sitch has the batter interfering. Key elements...

The batter strikes out, then interferes with F2's attempt to retire R1. Is there any reason why R1 would not be out in this situation?
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue View Post
R1 would not be out if B had a 1-1 count when this happened - would he? B out, R1 returns...

Someone tell me if lost my mind.

Otherwise, I agree - strike 3 B out and R1 out b/c of INT.
No, R1 would not be out if the count was 1 & 1. B2 would be out and R1 would be returned too 1st.

For my question, none of the elements may change. Here they are again:

1 & 2. 0 out. B2 strikes out, then interferes with F2, who is trying to retire R1. Is there any reason that R1 will not be called out in this situation?
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

I get two outs on this play. If R1 isn't out by rule here, this scenario would happen every game.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

ODJ,

What if the R1 had been obstructed by F3 as he took off for 2B?

JM
Old Thu Mar 24, 2011, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Viverito View Post
Correct. I did mean 7-3-5 penalty.

As for your answer 'only if'...it does not apply to my sitch. The sitch has the batter interfering. Key elements...

The batter strikes out, then interferes with F2's attempt to retire R1. Is there any reason why R1 would not be out in this situation?
Chris, the rule reads that two outs "may" be called. Not shall or must. I gave you an example but, and there are many more however the rule allows the official to make a call of judgement.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, R1 would not be out if the count was 1 & 1. B2 would be out and R1 would be returned too 1st.

For my question, none of the elements may change. Here they are again:

1 & 2. 0 out. B2 strikes out, then interferes with F2, who is trying to retire R1. Is there any reason that R1 will not be called out in this situation?
98.3% of the time, R1 will also be out. But, if F1 mistakenly pitches from a wind-up, or R1 is a state 30-yard dash champ, and F2 has a rag arm, and the pitch is a change in the dirt that F2 doesn't catch cleanly, ...

It's happened once to me in my career where I sent the runner back instead of getting an out.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. I asked this question because I have an issue with the wording in the rules book. All of these suggested possibilities seem to apply to the wording logically. I'll try to remember that there is a 1.7% chance that the penalty will be to return the runners rather than call the out. As usual - it comes down to my judgment - which is usually horse poo-doo anyway. Of that there is a 99.347 % chance...unless I've been drinking Red Bull.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
99.347 % chance.
There is probably a slightly higher chance that your going to have to toss the Coach after he tells you that that is, a "horsesh*t call" , "your terrible".
"I can't believe you can call something like that," "You have no clue what your doing," "Your trying to hose us", "Your father wears high heel shoes," and my all time best, "Your ugly too."

Have a good season
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
There is probably a slightly higher chance that your going to have to toss the Coach after he tells you that that is, a "horsesh*t call" , "your terrible".
"I can't believe you can call something like that," "You have no clue what your doing," "Your trying to hose us", "Your father wears high heel shoes," and my all time best, "Your ugly too."

Have a good season
"Coach, I had already inferred you were displeased by my call. Did you have a question?"

JM
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Have a good season
Right...but the chance goes down exponentially if it is raining, very very cold out...or very very hot.

Thanks J. Best to you too.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 01:36pm
I Bleed Crimson

So what about multiple people on base? No outs, 1-2 count, R1 and R2 attempt a double steal. B1 strikes out and interferes with F2's attempted throw to third.

R2 out and R1 back to first?
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 01:42pm
In Time Out

Originally Posted by jicecone

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
"Coach, I had already inferred you were displeased by my call. Did you have a question?"
The cute one-liner is not only unnecessary it will only further inflame an out of control coach.

"Coach, did you have a question?" is simple, direct and doesn't buy you an unneeded continuation of harassment or argument.